Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 12:07 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
The above post brought to readers by the Oracle who less than 3 months ago predicted that America was unlikely to ever even see 60,000 deaths from CV19.

Sorry officer ... but pretty sure you aren’t a prime source for Covid science updates ...
I’m not and never claimed to be, but others are. Why can’t their science be shared? There is absolutely not a single study that states masks effectively stop a virus. None!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Not 100% effective, no. But they are there mostly to stop an infected person's oral and nasal bodily fluids which are released in speaking, sneezing and coughing etc., which contain virus, from being discharged into the air where they can infect others. Nobody expects them to stop a particle as small as a virus, but the virus are NOT being ejected "naked", but contained in these "water" droplets that can be stopped. Also, those lethal water droplets can be stopped to a degree by masks worn by non-infected persons.

IMHO, only a fool wouldn't wear a mask when among others in public.
The mask will stop larger particles, but they will not stop aerosolized particles that Covid travels in. Larger droplets travel less than a meter and fall to the ground. What is more effective in stopping the spread of Covid is physical distancing. Most People don’t even properly wear the mask, then touching it. They don’t clean them allowing bacteria to build up and breath in. Mask wearing is more a religious rite than effectively stoping the spread of the virus.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
So where are you now, on da Big Island?

Good luck being a "mask hole" in that environment.
I think it’s the other way around with psychotic people screaming in the face of others for not wearing a mask like a lunatic. Those are the mask holes. What world do we live in to believe that’s okay to get into someone’s face for not wearing a mask. It’s has become a religious cult not based in any science.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
When are we going to open free travel from Japan? No quarantine, no testing. Let the Japanese come as they did pre-covid. Sadly at this point many Japanese will probably avoid traveling here sans any restrictions...
We need a comprehensive plan to reopen for visitors from the Mainland - and anything from Japan is simply a bonus.

In 2019, Japanese visitors made up 15% of our tourism numbers, almost exclusively to Oahu. Of the 1.5 million tourists from Japan, only 200,000 went to another island other than Oahu. The daily census of Japanese visitors was roughly 25,000 on any given day.

Given how toxic the US looks around the world, I would expect a small fraction of the visitors from Japan that we had last year. I don't see how many hotels, restaurants, and stores could justify reopening even with 1.5 million visitors, let alone the likely small numbers we would get. You'd also have to convince the airlines a market exists between Hawaii and Japan, since we have no passenger flights between us.

If Disneyworld, Universal Studios, Las Vegas, etc can reopen - certainly during the past 6 months the State could have come up with a plan. Anything would be better than no plan.

It is outright depressing to watch and listen to the video in the news story below

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...slows-trickle/

The plan cannot be no plan - just a Japan plan - or wait for a new administration to bail us out.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Well, they do if everyone wears them.

Now what we are seeing is people gathering for dinner parties, weddings, birthdays, etc., without wearing masks. How can you when you are eating and drinking? And then the virus gets spread.
How do you know it was the mask stopping the virus and not the physical distancing? People are wearing masks. You can’t go anywhere without wearing a mask, yet people are still getting infected.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:15 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I think it’s the other way around with psychotic people screaming in the face of others for not wearing a mask like a lunatic. Those are the mask holes. What world do we live in to believe that’s okay to get into someone’s face for not wearing a mask. It’s has become a religious cult not based in any science.
It can work both ways, for sure.

Probably far less of the episodes you're talking about than there are folks resisting authority by refusing to wear. A person would be a fool to challenge a stranger in such a manner as you describe here in US, given how many people are packing weapons and are angry about relinquishing their "rats".

I'm sure you've seen the stories in media about people being beaten/stabbed for urging someone to follow business rules by masking up.

Physical distancing far more important, I would agree.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
It can work both ways, for sure.

Probably far less of the episodes you're talking about than there are folks resisting authority by refusing to wear. A person would be a fool to challenge a stranger in such a manner as you describe here in US, given how many people are packing weapons and are angry about relinquishing their "rats".

I'm sure you've seen the stories in media about people being beaten/stabbed for urging someone to follow business rules by masking up.

Physical distancing far more important, I would agree.
I don’t believe it is so much about people wanting to resist authority, but I do believe there is a side that wants people to comply. I think most people who don’t want to wear a mask are being realistic knowing a piece of cloth isn’t going to prevent the spread of a virus. Say if this virus had a mortality rate over 20%. How confident would you be with your mask?

Old 08-13-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
How confident would you be with your mask?
I thought this had been covered extensively in other threads - even though the subject of masks were off topic in the other threads.

The mask doesn't help you from getting the virus. It reduces particle spread to a smaller distance to help prevent others from getting it. It really isn't that complicated.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:57 PM

With 355 new cases today, we leapfrog over Alaska and Maine.

Another example of how lockdowns, travel restrictions, and no plan are not effective.

To put this in perspective, 19 States none of which are located in the middle of the Pacific ocean, have less cases than Hawaii today

Last edited by whtviper1; 08-13-2020 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-13-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I thought this had been covered extensively in other threads - even though the subject of masks were off topic in the other threads.

The mask doesn't help you from getting the virus. It reduces particle spread to a smaller distance to help prevent others from getting it. It really isn't that complicated.
You see how that’s illogical? How can the mask stop the virus from leaving an infected person, but isn’t meant to protect the wearer? So a person who coughs or sneezes with extreme force the mask stops, but doesn’t stop particles just floating around the air? The only particles the mask effectively stops are larger particles. But those particles travel less than a meter and fall to the ground. I’m not saying the mask has zero effectiveness, but to believe it is effective in stopping a virus is absurd. The most any study will show is a mask can help. That’s quite subjective. Mask wearing gives many people a false sense of security where they may not properly socially socially distance. What we do know that is effective in stopping the spread of a virus is to not get near people who are infected, wash your hands, and don’t touch you face.
When people are wearing masks, they are constantly touching the mask by adjusting it or lowering it to talk, taking it off and on, not washing it, leaving it laying on possibly infected areas, and so on.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...ly-cause-harm/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: