Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2020, 05:31 PM

13 posts, read 10,961 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We recently moved to Captain Cook, and have a LOT to learn. We are soaking up information from the few people we've been able to meet so far.

We planned on doing Tai Chi on the beach and learning to play a ukulele. Then, Covid

So we're trying to lease our acre of coffee trees out, find mulch,compost to build up the soil, and are looking for ideas of what to grow that can be taken to the Farmers Market on Sundays.

Or, we may buy a small processing setup and process the coffee our selves. I was warned that there's no money to be made growing coffee, and that its hard work. I didn't want to believe them.

We're also in need of a wood chipper, tractor and any other equipment farmers need here. The lava rock makes everything challenging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 07:58 PM

139 posts, read 180,599 times
So, is there a question?

Or, are you just thinking out loud?

Old 11-11-2020, 01:00 PM

112 posts, read 96,811 times
The big secret to "local farming" is that many of the "farmers" buy their produce from Costco or the Product Wholesaler and then resale at the farmer's market as though the produce is local grown.

Notice how the roadside stands have shut down but there isn't a glut of local produce?
Ever wonder why the prices at the farmer's markets are just about the same price as the grocery stores?

Once the visitors stopped coming, the gig was up and the majority of the fruit stands shut down.

Also, your post might be better served in the Big Island forum.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:56 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Paindude, if you want to know what to sell at the local farmer's market, I suggest that you visit a Sunday or two and see what is already being sold there. Our little market here in Na`alehu has at least five different vendors selling produce, many of whom do grow themselves. I agree with grantw, however, when I see some of the vendors selling pineapples with the Dole sticker on them

We also have two vendors selling local made honey, one selling goat cheese, and one selling mushrooms.

And, yes, picking and processing coffee is hard work. I have five trees on my lot, and that's about all I can handle.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:54 PM

186 posts, read 345,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Paindude, if you want to know what to sell at the local farmer's market, I suggest that you visit a Sunday or two and see what is already being sold there. Our little market here in Na`alehu has at least five different vendors selling produce, many of whom do grow themselves. I agree with grantw, however, when I see some of the vendors selling pineapples with the Dole sticker on them

We also have two vendors selling local made honey, one selling goat cheese, and one selling mushrooms.

And, yes, picking and processing coffee is hard work. I have five trees on my lot, and that's about all I can handle.
Or lettuce and greens! Definitely repacked Costco produce, bec of the rat lungworm.

How much coffee will 5 trees produce? We would be looking to grow our own coffee, but we drink A LOT OF COFFEEEEEE!

Old 11-12-2020, 10:55 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike11 View Post
Or lettuce and greens! Definitely repacked Costco produce, bec of the rat lungworm.

How much coffee will 5 trees produce? We would be looking to grow our own coffee, but we drink A LOT OF COFFEEEEEE!
That’s why you need to get to know the vendors. I stop and talk with a couple of them, find out where their farm is located, discuss growing issues. There are several at our market who are obviously local growers and the quality of their produce reflects that. Lots better than repacked Costco! And I carefully wash everything when I get home.

I’m working on my second harvest. First harvest I got about five pounds , and this harvest looks to double that. Luckily I don’t drink a lot of coffee

Old 11-24-2020, 10:08 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
For locally grown produce there's always the Filipino markets. They have a lot of locally grown produce and very reasonable prices.

We're seeing a lot more local produce among the community. A lot of it is donated to the folks feeding the community.

As for what to farm, pick something that can be grown and processed without much additional help is what I'd choose. Also something that has buyers. Years back, there was someone who grew an acre of aloe vera just to find nowhere that would buy it since there's not any processing facilities for it around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: