Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 12:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post

I do wonder if more than 5 out of the hundreds of inquiries might have made the move if not for the decidedly negative responses those queries typically receive. Even if it does not work out, it's not the end of the world.
If a negative responses (realistic in my opinion) on an anonymous internet forum actually made them go from I'm serious about moving to a heck no, then they made the right decision.

It isn't terribly difficult to spot who is actually looking for genuine advice - versus the made up fantasies.

And yes, for many, it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't work out - for others, maybe not the end of the world - but can lead to serious career and financial setbacks that can take years to recover.

You've implied you have money - so it doesn't work out no big deal. Don't underestimate they number of people living check to check or without any real savings to cushion a failed plan.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:25 PM

344 posts, read 250,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If a negative responses (realistic in my opinion) on an anonymous internet forum actually made them go from I'm serious about moving to a heck no, then they made the right decision.

It isn't terribly difficult to spot who is actually looking for genuine advice - versus the made up fantasies.

And yes, for many, it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't work out - for others, maybe not the end of the world - but can lead to serious career and financial setbacks that can take years to recover.

You've implied you have money - so it doesn't work out no big deal. Don't underestimate they number of people living check to check or without any real savings to cushion a failed plan.

Yeah, I am fortunate to have a good amount of money now, but that was not always the case. Even then, I was willing to take some chances.

If you are living paycheck to paycheck in say Arizona, what is the harm in giving it a shot here, if that is a "dream" you have always had? If it does not work, you can probably go back to living paycheck to paycheck in Arizona.

I think people rarely regret things they tried that did not work out, more often they regret the things they never tried even though they wanted to give it a shot.

If everyone only did the safest things without taking some chances, the world would be a pretty boring place.

But, yeah, I agree, one should not base these decisions on opinions of strangers on the internet.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
If you are living paycheck to paycheck in say Arizona, what is the harm in giving it a shot here, if that is a "dream" you have always had? If it does not work, you can probably go back to living paycheck to paycheck in Arizona.
Maybe no harm. Maybe you won't have a job waiting for you either in Hawaii (like someone looking for a teaching job) - or maybe no job awaits you when you move back. Maybe getting the funds to secure a rental is a challenge when you move back and maybe your parents don't want you to move back home. Between shipping cars and starting a new life in Hawaii - it does not come without financial consequences.

Old 01-29-2021, 04:26 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,441 times
I gotta think remote workers are not buying houses unless this had always been a plan as an investment property. I also think the flocking is exaggerated. Slow day in the news.

Old 01-29-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
I gotta think remote workers are not buying houses unless this had always been a plan as an investment property. I also think the flocking is exaggerated. Slow day in the news.
I agree on both counts - although, for those coming from San Francisco, $700,000 gets you a small studio (at best) - on the Big Island, a house/yard - and many of those coming from Silicon Valley are cash rich or can take out cash out refi's on their Bay Area homes and to them, the mortgage payment is incredibly low compared to what they came from.

They can rent their Silicon Valley home for far more than what the new home mortgage would be on the BI - you get a husband/wife combo of Sr. software engineers, they potentially have $400K combined income between them.

The best way to live in Hawaii is with Bay Area money

Old 01-29-2021, 04:47 PM

29 posts, read 30,045 times
Quote:
I think people rarely regret things they tried that did not work out, more often they regret the things they never tried even though they wanted to give it a shot.

If I recall correctly, this is called the Regret Minimization Framework.
Pretty good approach, if taken pragmatically. Do things now that likely might cause future regrets of "not trying".

In my view, having remote workers would definitely help to diversify Hawaiian reliance on tourist $$$. Isn't that a good thing? Not sure if it even needs a debate. Also "flocking" is a generous overstatement (to play on the known aversion to the newcomers?). Anecdotally, I know a lot of folks on the continent, who would not touch Hawaii with 6 ft pole for any remote work, period.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:31 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,441 times
Quote:

The best way to live in Hawaii is with Bay Area money
I'd never argue against that. My experience is that Bay Area people buy second homes/investment properties in Wine country or Monterey. Close enough to be used as second homes and the demand to casually rent to family and friends is high. Hawaii second homes are a different category. I am biased against Big Island and seems that it is the cheap place to go unless you are Kona central but this is anecdotal. I would think that anyone doing remote would be a prior renter that realizes they can rent the vacay rental for a few months at a reduced amount than what they did prior. It would be interesting to see some actual figures instead of this media hype.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:00 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
There is a very big difference between a positive response and a realistic response.

9 times out of 10, the scenario presented is over the top ridiculous. And quite frankly, if you need validation on an anonymous internet forum on whether you should make a move - we are probably getting trolled or it is a bored housewife having nothing better to do.

I don't recall a single regular poster who needed validation from city data to move to Hawaii. When you asked if you should move to Hawaii - what were the responses?

Although I did tell the NYbest dude a teaching job would be an exercise in frustration - guess my magic 8 ball was correct.
I can’t say with a 100% certainty if there was no Covid, no budget crisis, and students were back in school my wife wouldn’t have still been hired, but I can say confidently she would have.

Anyway, it’s really irrelevant. Hawaii has slashed the HDOE budget, last I heard were doing a hiring freeze, and may cut positions. So it wasn’t in the cards regardless. This is are dilemma and now have to make responsible choices.

I think it’s good to ask questions to get an idea, but in the end, until you been here living for a little time, there really is no way of knowing. I say Take the leap of faith, you might be surprised.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:32 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
As for the 'flocking' it doesn't take that many folks 'flocking' here to actually make a difference in the amount of houses available. It's a really small market for houses to buy as well as rentals, so when considering the size difference between the mainland the Hawaii Island, I'm guessing it doesn't take more than one out of 10,000 house buyers on the mainland to decide to relocate to Hawaii before we run out of houses to sell them. Maybe it's only one out of 5,000?

Following the money, how many local folks/businesses does a transplant bringing in money from a mainland job support? They buy from the local grocery store, gas from the local gas station, send their kids to a local school. Get internet services, maybe a paper newspaper, get stuff from the hardware, take their pets to a local vet. Our neighbors just asked for a dentist recommendation, so that will be more clients for our local dentist.

I think a few 'incubator' places with really fast internet and whatever other business resources these remote workers would want would be a good thing for Hawaii. Maybe some shared office space? A place for business meetings? What does a remote worker need?

Old 01-30-2021, 08:31 AM

80 posts, read 88,481 times
Nah, I'm good, don't need more mainlanders here, at least on Oahu. Outer island folks can have them. Mainlanders seem to prefer there anyway and those islands could use the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii