Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 03:22 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Often life isn't fair - as it is reinforced as I watch the coverage of the S. Florida collapsed condo tower.

With that said - how is it fair your neighbor has to pay two HOA dues? During a special assessment - has to pay twice. It is what it is. I'm also reasonably certain, that when an individual has the means to buy 2 units - combine them - an extra $7,000 a year is not exactly keeping that person up at night.

The discussion was about fairness. You are advocating that being unfair to presumably rich people is OK.

Maintenance fees and special assessments are generally based on square footage. My neighbor is being charged accordingly based on his sf. If we started charging people three times that of others based on some arbitrary "excess" square footage I would say that is not fair. Your argument is flawed. You would charge the same for services whether you are on the first floor with no view as the person on a high floor with direct ocean views even though their value may be 2-3 times more. Of course it would be more fair to cut me a break as I am a single instead of the 3 people in the unit next to me. And shoots, I'm gone 5 months of the year. But that would be impossible to measure each owners share of expenses.

This law is so flawed. Are multimillion dollar owners going to be forced to sell and that will result in some Zippy's worker being able to rent on the Gold Coast? Seriously. It is just a money grab and an unfair one at that. It punishes SOME rich people but not others that are even richer. I'd love to see all these people decide to reside full time and see the bitchin about all the crowds and high demand for services so now you are standing even longer in line to get your bus pass! I think the pandemic has shown us that less people is a good thing for Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 03:47 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,636 times
There is a degree of unfairness to most taxes in one way or another. Even income tax with a graded scale creates an unfairness. Why should two different people pay different tax rates on their income ?

The problem is governments always want more money and so they find the pockets of those they think can afford to pay.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
There is a degree of unfairness to most taxes in one way or another. Even income tax with a graded scale creates an unfairness. Why should two different people pay different tax rates on their income ?

The problem is governments always want more money and so they find the pockets of those they think can afford to pay.
Exactly, an unfair money grab. If the purpose is to get housing for everyone then the taxes should be increased for NON owner occupied properties with assessed values UNDER $500,000. Those are the houses that they could buy. Geez, if a landlord with 20 $500,000 rentals had to pay $10,50 per $1,000 taxes you would see the market flood with cheaper housing. Nah, this is an ignorant excuse to punish folks that you think are better off than you. Go sell your fake Aloha somewhere else!

Geez, the difference is baked into the costs. I pay 8 times more taxes in my $4.5M 2/2 that you do in your $500,000 4/2 . Even though I am probably using less services that you and your 8 kids that is a much more fair way to split costs that to say well you will pay 8 times more PLUS and extra $7.50 per $1,000 for everything over $1,000,000.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Nah, this is an ignorant excuse to punish folks that you think are better off than you.
A person who's unit appreciates $3.5M in the past 20 years is better off than the average person. You can stomp up and down all you want but it is what it is.

I would wager a lot of money that person's ability to pay property tax is easier than the typical person in Waianae many of whom live check to check.

Pay the tax with a home equity loan then - jeez. Use those paper gains.

Quote:
I think the pandemic has shown us that less people is a good thing for Hawaii.
I agree with you. Wait - wait for it - perhaps we accomplish that by raising Type A Property Taxes ha ha ha ha ha

Last edited by whtviper1; 06-28-2021 at 04:27 PM..

Old 06-28-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Pay the tax with a home equity loan then - jeez. Use those paper gains.

Let them eat cake!

Old 06-28-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:

I agree with you. Wait - wait for it - perhaps we accomplish that by raising Type A Property Taxes ha ha ha ha ha
These are people that are only here a few months a year anyway. It is the under $500,000 hoi polloi that we want fewer of! Sorry if you are in that group but you'll be better off in say Kansas City or Indianapolis. Big fish, little pond and all that.

Plus it is YOU that is convinced that these people think of their increased property taxes as a rounding up figure. So are they leaving or not or is it exactly as I am stating a money grab? oh, and wait for it.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
These are people that are only here a few months a year anyway. It is the under $500,000 hoi polloi that we want fewer of! Sorry if you are in that group but you'll be better off in say Kansas City or Indianapolis. Big fish, little pond and all that.
So - no waiters, bartenders, maids, garbage men, janitors, teachers, farm workers, checkout clerks, and on and on.

Doesn't quite work that way.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
So - no waiters, bartenders, maids, garbage men, janitors, teachers, farm workers, checkout clerks, and on and on.

Doesn't quite work that way.
Dude, you want to make multimillion dollar properties more abundant although you then say the punishment will not accomplish that because they are just so FN rich. I propose an unfair taxation policy that will take median or lower priced housing out of the hands of the rich so the maids have a chance at them but ............wait for it....somehow you think that won't work.

Aren't you supposed to be working or something?

Old 06-28-2021, 04:57 PM

If multimillion dollar houses are outlawed then only outlaws will have multimillion dollar properties.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:01 PM

344 posts, read 250,973 times
Quote:
If multimillion dollar houses are outlawed then only outlaws will have multimillion dollar properties.
Or maybe they will be bought by people who can afford to pay the taxes on them without complaining about how unfair it is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii