Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 05:52 PM

344 posts, read 251,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Kohala transplant and Whtviper 1, You guys are just being, well my Christian upbringing won't let me say it. LOL If everyone bought exactly what they could afford then we would not have bankruptcies or foreclosures. People at all levels have their issues. Quit beating on people just because you think they are better off than you and address the fairness. Or be clever or something. You both sound lie sour grapes.

See, there you go making assumptions again.

I am pretty sure Whtviper1 has owned a number of multi-million dollars homes on Oahu. I suspect he has been paying this "unfair" tax for some time.

Me, I live on the big island, and don't invest in real estate. So, this particular issue does not affect me personally. But, I assure you I pay, and have paid, a LOT of taxes that i am sure you would consider "unfair". I assume you are familiar with the progressive nature of our income tax code?

So it has nothing to do with "beating on people just because you think they are better off than you". LoL
Your disdain for people you think are worse off than you is pretty clear from your posts. Congratulations on your success, i guess, but it is not very "Christian" that you claim to be.

The difference is that I (i will not speak for Whitviper1) am not so bitter about the "unfairness" of it all. I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have made a lot of money both in my career and with my investments, such that I am subject to higher taxes than most people.

The tax laws are never fair (why are capital gains taxed at lower rate than income, why is there step-up basis?). Some laws, like the ones i just mentioned benefit me greatly, others like progressive income tax and (horrors!) property taxes cost me more. It is what it is. I pay them, and move on with my life. Overall, I think i get a great deal being able to live in this country, at the cost of the taxes I pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
So your point is that unfair taxes are OK if you think the person is rich? Trump voter, right?

Haha, you almost made me spill my drink.

Pretty much every assumption you have made about is completely off base.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:02 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,069,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
What a novel idea - have people buy multimillion dollar homes who can afford to pay the taxes - brilliant.
What a novel idea - have people buy half million dollar homes who can afford to pay taxes without being subsidized by other taxpayers. - brilliant.!

Old 06-28-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
Haha, you almost made me spill my drink.

Pretty much every assumption you have made about is completely off base.
Well you struck me as a stable genius. LOL Not!

Old 06-28-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
See, there you go making assumptions again.

I am pretty sure Whtviper1 has owned a number of multi-million dollars homes on Oahu. I suspect he has been paying this "unfair" tax for some time.

Me, I live on the big island, and don't invest in real estate. So, this particular issue does not affect me personally. But, I assure you I pay, and have paid, a LOT of taxes that i am sure you would consider "unfair". I assume you are familiar with the progressive nature of our income tax code?

So it has nothing to do with "beating on people just because you think they are better off than you". LoL
Your disdain for people you think are worse off than you is pretty clear from your posts. Congratulations on your success, i guess, but it is not very "Christian" that you claim to be.

The difference is that I (i will not speak for Whitviper1) am not so bitter about the "unfairness" of it all. I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have made a lot of money both in my career and with my investments, such that I am subject to higher taxes than most people.

The tax laws are never fair (why are capital gains taxed at lower rate than income, why is there step-up basis?). Some laws, like the ones i just mentioned benefit me greatly, others like progressive income tax and (horrors!) property taxes cost me more. It is what it is. I pay them, and move on with my life. Overall, I think i get a great deal being able to live in this country, at the cost of the taxes I pay.
GEEZ, I think WV1 can talk for herself. Don't be mansplaining to me.

If you are paying taxes that you think are unfair let's discuss that. Please, INCOME TAXES? You are treated the same as everyone. Make $25,000 pay the same. Make $500,000 pay the same. If you are paying 50% on that last $100,000 then you are still collecting $50,000. My house jumps $100,000 the government will not allow me to put $50,000 in my pocket. Your comparison is silly.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
I think WV1 can talk for herself. Don't be mansplaining to me.
My house jumps $100,000 the government will not allow me to put $50,000 in my pocket. Your comparison is silly.
Himself - and huh?

Old 06-28-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
GEEZ, I think WV1 can talk for herself. Don't be mansplaining to me.

If you are paying taxes that you think are unfair let's discuss that. Please, INCOME TAXES? You are treated the same as everyone. Make $25,000 pay the same. Make $500,000 pay the same. If you are paying 50% on that last $100,000 then you are still collecting $50,000. My house jumps $100,000 the government will not allow me to put $50,000 in my pocket. Your comparison is silly.

I am crying a sad tear for you, your life is so unfair.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't sit around thinking someone like myself should be subject to the same tax base as someone less fortunate.
Easy to say when you are not a stakeholder. Go to the Arkansas forum to make yer complaints!

Old 06-28-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I am crying a sad tear for you, your life is so unfair.
It is called empathy. It is unfair to others for them to subsidize YOUR property taxes. I just survived a 4.2 earthquake in CA, Hope I get home to Honolulu tomorrow.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Uh oh Gold. Looking like Biden looking to lift SALT deduction cap IF you make under $400K. Otherwise nada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii