Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your past and future use of Hanauma Bay?
Haven't been in years and no desire to go again. 12 66.67%
Go with mainland friends every year. 1 5.56%
I'll go every month or I'm losing a $25 benefit! 0 0%
I have never been and will never go. 0 0%
I may go now because of the limited capacity. 1 5.56%
Other 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 04:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
If you were a businessman you would realize that there is no basis for what you are saying. For all you know no one is getting through so that is why there is the line of cars waiting to try a walk in. It would appear that they are not reaching capacity through the "reservation" system so they are letting the kamaainas walk in. They did not mention increasing the count for this increased capacity.
I do know people are getting thru - as I've looked on the website.

Lot's of issues in Hawaii including no shows at restaurants with reservations - doesn't make it the reservations system fault. Adding non-refundable deposits could be a solution.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/0...mber-no-shows/

And while restaurants appreciate the increased business, they say they’re dealing with a new problem: A large number of no-shows.

MW Restaurant is one of many Hawaii eateries grappling with the trend.

“One night we had one whole section of our restaurant that was completely empty because people didn’t show up, and they didn’t call to cancel either,” said Michelle Karr-Ueoka.

Some restaurants HRA represents stopped taking reservations entirely, while some now require non-refundable deposits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 05:44 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,066,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I do know people are getting thru - as I've looked on the website.

Lot's of issues in Hawaii including no shows at restaurants with reservations - doesn't make it the reservations system fault. Adding non-refundable deposits could be a solution.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/0...mber-no-shows/

And while restaurants appreciate the increased business, they say they’re dealing with a new problem: A large number of no-shows.

MW Restaurant is one of many Hawaii eateries grappling with the trend.

“One night we had one whole section of our restaurant that was completely empty because people didn’t show up, and they didn’t call to cancel either,” said Michelle Karr-Ueoka.

Some restaurants HRA represents stopped taking reservations entirely, while some now require non-refundable deposits.
If you watch the news reports I don't believe that "no shows" are the reservation problem with Hanauma Bay. They specifically state it is the SYSTEM and its implementation that is the problem. Are you a government employee? It seems like you have solutions to non problems and make excuses for the real problem. It is factual that NOW they are allowing kamaainas to come in bypassing the reservation system because of complaints ABOUT the reservation system.

Some restaurants have reservation problems BECAUSE they won't implement the solutions!! Has nothing to do with the reservation failure here. Hanauma Bay will continue to have problems until they either fix their reservation system or frustrate so many people that no one will want to come. Is that the solution you embrace? I mean other than holding out public property to the highest bidder. Remember the backlash when they allowed the corporation to hold a private drinking party on Waikiki Beach?

Old 08-04-2021, 08:09 AM

10 posts, read 7,131 times
I'll go. I love this place.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:07 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I will say that I have no plans to go back to Hanauma Bay. I was thrown against the rocks there when snorkeling And it's way too crowded. I'll probably stick to Electric Beach and Alan Davis Beach Park.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:36 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,066,464 times
Well, almost 90% of the people that have been have no plans to go back. I know when I went after the first time or two it was only to take visitors. It is beautiful and should be visited at least once. I wonder how much demand there is from local residents. I can't imagine that much unless they are taking visitors.

I haven't seen any reports if there is still a line of cars of hopefuls without reservations. I do think the whole pricing and reservation system should have been implemented better. If we want to limit tourism there is a better way than overcharging and irritating them.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:15 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
I’ve gone at least a half dozen times over the years. Love it. Would gladly go again … but not if it’s a clusterfarque to get a pass.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:56 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,876 times
If you know , then you know "Toilet Bowl" !

Good fun!

Old 08-05-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Well, almost 90% of the people that have been have no plans to go back. I know when I went after the first time or two it was only to take visitors. It is beautiful and should be visited at least once. I wonder how much demand there is from local residents. I can't imagine that much unless they are taking visitors.

I haven't seen any reports if there is still a line of cars of hopefuls without reservations. I do think the whole pricing and reservation system should have been implemented better. If we want to limit tourism there is a better way than overcharging and irritating them.
That's a good point. We hear the cries from residents about tourist overcrowding, but I'd like to see the percentage of residents (among total visitors) who are actually going to Hanauma Bay. Something tells me that it's not very high, at least not among repeat visitors (I'm not sure if that 90% was your guestimate or if there is anything official behind it).

Old 08-05-2021, 02:05 PM

451 posts, read 411,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's a good point. We hear the cries from residents about tourist overcrowding, but I'd like to see the percentage of residents (among total visitors) who are actually going to Hanauma Bay. Something tells me that it's not very high, at least not among repeat visitors (I'm not sure if that 90% was your guestimate or if there is anything official behind it).
How often do the residents of Paris go to the Eiffel Tower or the residents of Athens go to the Parthenon?
Seattle residents to the Space Needle? Likely not often. Maybe once or twice in a lifetime, perhaps?

Old 08-05-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
How often do the residents of Paris go to the Eiffel Tower or the residents of Athens go to the Parthenon?
Seattle residents to the Space Needle? Likely not often. Maybe once or twice in a lifetime, perhaps?
I'm a New Yorker and I've never been to Ellis Island, atop the Empire State Building, or to Lady Liberty. But this is all the more reason why efforts to ensure that more locals can frequent Hanauma Bay without the same restrictions (amid cries that tourists are destroying things for locals) seem silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii