Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 02:12 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I still remember the guy who died from flesh eating bacteria in the Ala Wai boat harbor some 15 years ago.
Yup. I was living aboard a boat in Ke’ehi Lagoon at the time … quite the conversation starter in the boating community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 01:11 AM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
I'm still not going swimming in the canal, but in a sign that the genki balls could be working, a monk seal was spotted swimming there the other day: https://www.khon2.com/local-news/mon...balls-working/

Apparently various fish species have been making a return to the canal, too, recently.

Old 03-10-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm still not going swimming in the canal, but in a sign that the genki balls could be working, a monk seal was spotted swimming there the other day: https://www.khon2.com/local-news/mon...balls-working/

Apparently various fish species have been making a return to the canal, too, recently.
Interesting! Thanks for the update

Old 03-10-2023, 12:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

KHNL had a story on the news this morning. The Ala Wai is at its worse with rain - given the higher than average rainfall those Genki Balls apparently do have an impact. It is indeed a great sign.

Old 03-11-2023, 01:25 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I still remember the guy who died from flesh eating bacteria in the Ala Wai boat harbor some 15 years ago.

Wasn't it more like twenty years ago and wasn't there alcohol to go along with the flesh eating bacteria? Although, I'm sure there's more than one person who has fallen into the Ala Wai with ill effects.

Old 03-11-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Wasn't it more like twenty years ago and wasn't there alcohol to go along with the flesh eating bacteria? Although, I'm sure there's more than one person who has fallen into the Ala Wai with ill effects.
Yes, the victim had been drinking … and, if I recall correctly, he’d been busted up in a fight so had some open cuts. That said, what killed him was not drinking or fighting, it was flesh-eating bacteria … which can enter a body any number of ways regardless of stupid, drunken, brawling behavior. Just tipping over in a canoe in the canal could result in death.

Old 03-11-2023, 02:36 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes, the victim had been drinking … and, if I recall correctly, he’d been busted up in a fight so had some open cuts. That said, what killed him was not drinking or fighting, it was flesh-eating bacteria … which can enter a body any number of ways regardless of stupid, drunken, brawling behavior. Just tipping over in a canoe in the canal could result in death.

Vibrio vulnificus is the bacteria that caused the man's infection and eventual death. Vibrio vulnificus is found in 100% of coastal warm waters. It's an omnipresent bacteria. There are nearly 100,000 infections annually in the US alone...and those are only the ones reported and confirmed after visitation with a clinic or hospital. Statistics show less than 1 in 1,000 who are infected (again, only those infections that are reported) die of the infection with the vast majority being immunocompromised. The man was just extremely unlucky. Being exposed (broken skin) to any infection-inducing bacteria across multiple areas of your body while being wasted drunk also doesn't help.

Moral of the story shouldn't be avoid the Ala Wai, it should be avoid getting plastered, then getting into a fist fight immediately next to a rock-lined waterway with no fall protection barrier.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Vibrio vulnificus is the bacteria that caused the man's infection and eventual death. Vibrio vulnificus is found in 100% of coastal warm waters. It's an omnipresent bacteria. There are nearly 100,000 infections annually in the US alone...and those are only the ones reported and confirmed after visitation with a clinic or hospital. Statistics show less than 1 in 1,000 who are infected (again, only those infections that are reported) die of the infection with the vast majority being immunocompromised. The man was just extremely unlucky. Being exposed (broken skin) to any infection-inducing bacteria across multiple areas of your body while being wasted drunk also doesn't help.

Moral of the story shouldn't be avoid the Ala Wai, it should be avoid getting plastered, then getting into a fist fight immediately next to a rock-lined waterway with no fall protection barrier.
I agree the victim discussed was extremely unlucky. But the admonition (for the time period of his demise certainly) to avoid the canal was very much appropriate … regardless of drinking and brawling (which behaviors are also obviously ill-advised).

The bacteria cited as “present in [all] coastal warm waters” is but one found in the toxic Ala Wai canal cesspool. Flourishing. And, as mentioned previously, open cuts are not required for infection.

Drinking (to excess) and brawling are stupid behaviors.
Falling in any water in those conditions is a bad idea.
Falling into the Ala Wai, drunk or sober, is extra risky, at the least.

Genki balls … whodathunk? … Great news it seems

Old 03-13-2023, 10:41 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

The bacteria cited as “present in [all] coastal warm waters” is but one found in the toxic Ala Wai canal cesspool. Flourishing.
After doing some research on the event, you are correct. I forgot that the city dumped an unprecedented and staggering 48 million gallons of raw sewage into the Ala Wai. And that man's unfortunate fall into the water was just one day after the discharge period. I'm actually surprised he didn't get infected with other things. They didn't allow swimming even at the beach for I believe over a month after the emergency discharge. This occured during that 40 days of rain event. That was something else.

It should be noted that the man did suffer from liver disease at the time of the incident so essentially he was immunocompromised.

When I was younger I paddled canoe there and back then the water was also polluted. Probably moreso than today. None of us freaked out when we got splashed (this happened constantly). I'd hate to see people today avoid paddling there because of unwarranted fears of contracting flesh eating disease. At least the genki balls are doing their job; a much needed PR plus for the Ala Wai. Hopefully this reassures more people and canoe paddling/racing will continue to flourish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii