Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 05:56 PM

65 posts, read 35,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
As I've thought about this - one can do just about anything with enough money and time.

I suppose one could design some kind of elaborate filter system to filter the water and garbage before it gets to the Ala Wai - and I'm not quite sure how many feeder canals go into the Ala Wai - but my guess it would be an incredibly expensive (multi-billion maybe tens of billions) initiative.
Maybe you could do the same thing you do when your pool gets gnarly - Chlorine Shock by the tanker-truck full!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 07:58 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Another brief article about the Genki balls for Ala Wai Canal … impressive past successes noted here. Maybe more to this than I thought.

Genki balls to make Ala Wai Canal swimmable
https://www.khon2.com/top-stories/ge...nal-swimmable/

Old 04-12-2022, 10:57 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
You could throw 10 million Genki balls into the Ala Wai and I'm not swimming in it - besides, what is the attraction to swimming in the Ala Wai, you can make a quick walk to open ocean that does not need Genki balls.

Old 04-12-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
You could throw 10 million Genki balls into the Ala Wai and I'm not swimming in it - besides, what is the attraction to swimming in the Ala Wai, you can make a quick walk to open ocean that does not need Genki balls.
Lol … it would be a hard memory to erase for me as well.

That said, I don't think the “swimming” comment is literally any goal. Just making their point re: clean.

Anyway, past cleanups, such as Tokyo harbor cited, hmmm.

Old 04-12-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

Anyway, past cleanups, such as Tokyo harbor cited, hmmm.
Not a lot of good things said about Tokyo Bay when searching "Is Tokyo Bay polluted"

Such as:

https://www.insider.com/olympics-out...-toilet-2021-7

Old 04-12-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Not a lot of good things said about Tokyo Bay when searching "Is Tokyo Bay polluted"

Such as:

https://www.insider.com/olympics-out...-toilet-2021-7
Good catch. Maybe. Your linked article is about 9 months old … doubtful that the Genki solution could turn around Tokyo Bay in 9 months … but ???

Also, we don’t know how bad Tokyo Bay was prior - if the Genki balls effect are accounted for in the article’s assessment.

Quite a good selection of community / business support for this. You’d think supporters would want some confirmation data before joining the public face of the effort.

In any case: we’ll see, eh?

Old 04-14-2022, 04:16 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Well, it is a drainage canal. I used to work with one of the engineers who helped on digging the ala wai canal, he used a slipstick to do all of his calculations. Numbers are still numbers no matter how they're manipulated, but a slipstick is serious old school.

All the tailings from digging the canal is what created Magic Island. Which is why Magic Island became a park and wasn't built up like the rest of the area. It was just loose tailings and not firm enough to build on so they stuck a park there. For that matter, Ala Moana shopping center was plunked down on the local dump. Old history, though.

Cleaning the ala wai would need more than just cleaning the canal. Every feeder ditch that goes into it would need to be cleaned as well. Then, open up the other end of it so it's not a dead end.

At one point, there was talk about having some small passenger ferries go up and down the Ala Wai canal. Mostly to take folks to and from the Convention center. Less expensive than the rail, but wouldn't go near as far and would only pretty much service the folks in Waikiki which are predominantly tourists.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:59 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Civil Beat published an insightful video on the Ala Wai from 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz-4KPlla5E

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 04-14-2022 at 08:32 AM..

Old 04-22-2022, 07:44 PM

Back in the news … … dire expectations … Genki balls only briefly mentioned at end of short article.

Flesh-eating bacteria could increase threefold at a popular Hawaii spot, Ala Wai Canal
https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/articl...e-17090770.php

Old 04-24-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Back in the news … … dire expectations … Genki balls only briefly mentioned at end of short article.

Flesh-eating bacteria could increase threefold at a popular Hawaii spot, Ala Wai Canal
https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/articl...e-17090770.php
I still remember the guy who died from flesh eating bacteria in the Ala Wai boat harbor some 15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii