Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 12:56 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,420,904 times

Advertisements

Friends had a leasehold condo where the lease was coming to an end, with no guarantee of renewal. Things went crazy, everybody trying to sell before the lease ended.

not a problem if you're the first owner, could be awful if you're the last one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 01:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Without arguing any favor for leasehold, I’ll point out that “leasing” is “renting”.
If one is truly going to stay long term in a home - by long term, I'd say at a bare minimum of 5+ years, a lease can be advantageous.

But leases tend to have far more strings attached than a traditional "rental" and your ability to move whether that be your circumstances change (need to move to mainland - or rents decrease in the area - your income increased and you want a nicer place, job change to another part of the island, more kids, etc) tends to make breaking that lease very painful on the person leasing and can wipe out or make even worse the affordability you got to begin with.

Old 04-11-2022, 01:37 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If one is truly going to stay long term in a home - by long term, I'd say at a bare minimum of 5+ years, a lease can be advantageous.

But leases tend to have far more strings attached than a traditional "rental" and your ability to move whether that be your circumstances change (need to move to mainland - or rents decrease in the area - your income increased and you want a nicer place, job change to another part of the island, more kids, etc) tends to make breaking that lease very painful on the person leasing and can wipe out or make even worse the affordability you got to begin with.
I understand your point … and again, not arguing in favor of leaseholds. But leasing is renting. The way the two words are used commonly refers to leasing as longer term than renting … but there’s no real legal difference. There are long-term rental agreements and short-term lease agreements.

One significant difference between these leaseholds and common rental agreements is the leaseholder can “sell” their position. Most landlords do not allow renters to transfer terms.

Old 04-11-2022, 01:40 PM

344 posts, read 251,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM1972 View Post
In other words, the residents.

My point is when someone gets something for less than market value, often due to gov. mandate, somebody else takes a loss in one way or another.
That is the price we pay for living in a civilized society.

By your logic, we should get rid of publicly funded fire departments as well, because the people whose homes are being saved are getting it for free, and the rest of the residents have to pay for it.

It is the kind of third-grade logic you see, for example, among Ayn Rand followers.

Old 04-11-2022, 01:52 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post

By your logic, we should get rid of publicly funded fire departments as well, because the people whose homes are being saved are getting it for free, and the rest of the residents have to pay for it.

It is the kind of third-grade logic you see, for example, among Ayn Rand followers.
Lol …

Old 04-11-2022, 01:56 PM

65 posts, read 35,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post

With all due respect, your thinking is so far off in the weeds, as to not be suitable for grown-up discussion.

My logic, for example, neither says nor implies ANYTHING about getting rid of fire departments, and to assert such is, well, pathetic.

Just an FYI, the people whose residences were saved were NOT getting it for free, they paid for it in the form of taxes.

Last edited by TAM1972; 04-11-2022 at 03:10 PM..

Old 04-11-2022, 02:21 PM

344 posts, read 251,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM1972 View Post
With all due respect, your thinking is so far off in the weeds, as to not be suitable for grown-up discussion.

My logic, for example, neither says or implies ANYTHING about getting rid of fire departments, and to assert such is, well, pathetic.

Just an FYI, the people whose residences were saved were NOT getting it for free, they paid for it in the form of taxes.

The cost of responding to fires is orders of magnitude more than the fraction of an individual family's taxes that are allocated for that purpose. The costs of the relatively few cases where this is required is heavily subsidized by the rest of society. Since you seem to find it so abhorren,, perhaps you should seek to live in places where such subsidizing is not done on a routine basis. Somalia comes to mind.

Old 04-11-2022, 03:07 PM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Instead of making it a leasehold - you simply make it a rental at a much lower monthly cost - a leasehold adds large unnecessary fees that only benefit the lease holder

If you truly are making affordable housing - you take the lease aspect out of it.
I see your point, but there's always the point about the leasehold adding greater security (and often at a reasonable price) to people's living situations, which some may value a lot. Not so easy to evict or refuse to renew a lease I'd wager

Old 04-12-2022, 09:33 AM

48,557 posts, read 34,927,283 times
Keep on topic please and refrain from personal attacks.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-14-2022, 05:22 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,101,416 times
I used to own, and was on the board, in a building that had leaseholds in it. (I had a fee simple unit)

Leasehold is a nightmare. When the lease renews, it does so at current market rate. That equated to a substantial increase in the lease fee.
When they did allow the leaseholders to purchase, the price was what would equate to full market value for the unit. I recall one owner bought the lease. It made 0 sense to do that because they could have bought a fee simple unit for that price (my opinion).

Selling a leasehold is challenging as well, raising dues kill interest and affordability. The Leasehold owners seldom sold for much more than what they bought them for, even after extensive upgrades. Most leaseholds sold for half what the fee simple units did. So at the end of the day, that ‘next step up’ fund after selling a leasehold condo is almost insulting.

Point I am getting at is leaseholds may be another option, but they are very bad deals. (all my opinion)

Last edited by Dthraco; 04-14-2022 at 05:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii