Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 07:41 AM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times

Advertisements

Not leaseholds, but they are building several "mini" homes throughout the states and renting them out for $500 a month. Aimed primarily at the homeless population.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfZtpBVWILE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 08:10 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times
Very cool

Old 04-14-2022, 01:33 PM

51 posts, read 42,192 times
My family bought strictly fee simple. My Dad refused to do the leasehold thing even when it added double to a home price back in the day. Glad he did but it's still a fact that land use over-regulation is a major contributor to the affordable housing shortage problem here...

https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/04/ho...ousing-prices/

V/R

Old 04-14-2022, 05:38 PM

65 posts, read 35,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawamura View Post
My family bought strictly fee simple. My Dad refused to do the leasehold thing even when it added double to a home price back in the day. Glad he did but it's still a fact that land use over-regulation is a major contributor to the affordable housing shortage problem here...

https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/04/ho...ousing-prices/

V/R
Supply and Demand. Their is a strong demand on the part of people with $$$. Ergo, price goes up. Over regulation will contribute to a limited supply, but there are a lot of $$$ looking for property.

It is inescapable and can't be "fixed" (as it isn't actually broken). Limited supply and well-heeled demand result in the inevitable increase in property value, and that's as it should be. Those of limited means need not apply, but, rather, look elsewhere.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:21 PM

48 posts, read 29,123 times
The problem is the soft attitude of people in our legislature. Maybe because of the culture of Hawaii being so aloof. They need to pass agressive laws with MASSIVE tax on 2nd homes, developers, and rental properties, therefore turn off rich people and investors from buying everything up and pushing up home values.

Granted that people will continue to move to Hawaii but it should at least slow things down a little. They've been too soft on developers who hide under the guise of providing more homes for people. Affordable housing credit law hasn't worked. It is straight up dumb to base pricing of affordable housing on market valuation, it should be opposite, based on salaries. A $400,000 2-bedroom apt isn't affordable for a household income of maximum $75,000. Stricter laws will set precedence, and somehow some way the rich and and developer will still end up buying up homes and developing high rises, even if they pay massive taxes and make smaller profits, then there are more options for tax breaks and monies for the government to help out regular people.

Complete incompetence. And for my personal situation it is EXTREMELY beneficial that home prices are skyrocketing, the faster values go up the better to eventually sell my family home and rake in the profits. So I'm not being biased about this.

Last edited by mov3_f0w4rd; 04-15-2022 at 03:33 PM..

Old 04-15-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM1972 View Post
that's as it should be. Those of limited means need not apply, but, rather, look elsewhere.
So basically all the 4th, 5th, 6th, and future born and raised Kamaaina who can't afford $1 million dollar homes can p*ss off? Thats the Aloha spirit......Reeks of negative mainland attitude.

Last edited by mov3_f0w4rd; 04-15-2022 at 04:09 PM..

Old 04-15-2022, 03:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mov3_f0w4rd View Post
So basically all the 4th, 5th, 6th, and future born and raised Kamaaina who can't afford $1 million dollar homes can p*ss off? Thats the Aloha spirit......
That should be the group who can easily afford it the most.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That should be the group who can easily afford it the most.
Why is that? They are no different than a transplant. Being genrational doesn't mean they have money or assume their parents and grandparents have money to give the next. I know some who do and even some that inherited their grandparents house. But clearly housing is a problem, so these examples are a rarity than the norm.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
So basically all the 4th, 5th, 6th, and future born and raised Kamaaina who can't afford $1 million dollar homes can p*ss off? Thats the Aloha spirit......Reeks of negative mainland attitude.
It's the way of life, well, at least for adults. $$ talks, always has, always will.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
The problem is the soft attitude of people in our legislature. Maybe because of the culture of Hawaii being so aloof. They need to pass agressive laws with MASSIVE tax on 2nd homes, developers, and rental properties, therefore turn off rich people and investors from buying everything up and pushing up home values.

Granted that people will continue to move to Hawaii but it should at least slow things down a little. They've been too soft on developers who hide under the guise of providing more homes for people. Affordable housing credit law hasn't worked. It is straight up dumb to base pricing of affordable housing on market valuation, it should be opposite, based on salaries. A $400,000 2-bedroom apt isn't affordable for a household income of maximum $75,000. Stricter laws will set precedence, and somehow some way the rich and and developer will still end up buying up homes and developing high rises, even if they pay massive taxes and make smaller profits, then there are more options for tax breaks and monies for the government to help out regular people.

Complete incompetence. And for my personal situation it is EXTREMELY beneficial that home prices are skyrocketing, the faster values go up the better to eventually sell my family home and rake in the profits. So I'm not being biased about this.
You ideas if put into action would fail and likely make things worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii