Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 12:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Having worked for one of the nation's largest food distributors, I'm not so confident.
I’d be even less so confident in a roadside vendor. At least if Whole Foods/Safeway/Times/Costco/etc sells bad stuff it makes the news. Joe selling is stuff on the app not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2022, 12:14 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
No vendor is perfect.

Doctor sues Costco for worms in halibut.

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/n...t-from-costco/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3tw8SvzqKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhfRznMpqaA

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/di...o-in-new-york/

Last edited by Futuremauian; 04-17-2022 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-17-2022, 12:34 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I’d be even less so confident in a roadside vendor. At least if Whole Foods/Safeway/Times/Costco/etc sells bad stuff it makes the news. Joe selling is stuff on the app not so much.
Not disagreeing that a roadside vendor is definitely higher risk, but plenty can and does go sideways in the conventional food distribution pipeline.
I have a 10 gig hard drive containing every email I ever sent or recieved in 15 years in my role as there were a number of situations/decisions made that were unethical or illegal.
Memories often seem to get very fuzzy when the subpoenas start getting handed out.

Old 04-17-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Not disagreeing that a roadside vendor is definitely higher risk, but plenty can and does go sideways in the conventional food distribution pipeline.
I have a 10 gig hard drive containing every email I ever sent or recieved in 15 years in my role as there were a number of situations/decisions made that were unethical or illegal.
Memories often seem to get very fuzzy when the subpoenas start getting handed out.
Over the years, I can recall several instances in restaurants when I was served shrimp that had been soaked in bleach-water to kill bacteria and extend it's usable life. It looks like shrimp but tastes like bleach.

Yuck!

Last edited by Futuremauian; 04-17-2022 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 04-17-2022, 03:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Over the years, I can recall several instances in restaurants when I was served shrimp that had been soaked in bleach-water to kill bacteria and extend it's usable life. It looks like shrimp but tastes like bleach.

Yuck!
Never happened to me. Must be a Maui thing

Old 04-17-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Never happened to me. Must be a Maui thing
Actually it happened in California and Las Vegas.

Mexican and Chinese Restaurants.

Old 04-19-2022, 02:44 PM

51 posts, read 42,082 times
We've got roadside shrimp and crawfish stands here (There's a large aquaculture industry here - shrimp, shellfish, catfish, etc) I only go to one of them because the shrimp are raised in saltwater and no antibiotics. The same folk raise excellent - and huge - crawfish as well and they're in season right now. Tasty Eating!

V/R

Old 04-19-2022, 06:10 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawamura View Post
We've got roadside shrimp and crawfish stands here (There's a large aquaculture industry here - shrimp, shellfish, catfish, etc) I only go to one of them because the shrimp are raised in saltwater and no antibiotics. The same folk raise excellent - and huge - crawfish as well and they're in season right now. Tasty Eating!

V/R
Sounds delicious. I can't say I'm the biggest crawfish fan, but I did partake in a few boils when I lived in New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii