Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 01:44 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Your comment is entirely predictable here. You are focused on *things*. Minimalism is focused on experiencing life’s wonderments with as few accessories and complications as possible.
Otherwise just called dumb or just plain stupid.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:32 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Otherwise just called dumb or just plain stupid.
What is “otherwise called dumb or just plain stupid?” Identifying with baubles and trinkets and material toys (such as macho cars?)? Spending one’s energies acquiring money to gamble away in Vegas? Yes, I agree.

Surely you don’t refer to focusing one’s life mostly on quality of personal experience, right?

Old 07-18-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
What is “otherwise called dumb or just plain stupid?”
Truly one of the dumbest and stupidest things I've read on here - This >>>>> Minimalism is focused on experiencing life’s wonderments with as few accessories and complications as possible.

It is like - why bother existing. Might as well be dead - not much of a difference. It is like live life as dreadfully as possible.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Truly one of the dumbest and stupidest things I've read on here - This >>>>> Minimalism is focused on experiencing life’s wonderments with as few accessories and complications as possible.

It is like - why bother existing. Might as well be dead - not much of a difference. It is like live life as dreadfully as possible.
Well, *whtviper*, we can’t all find the depth that you have in: money, a car, and Vegas trips you know. Some of us just have to make do with family and friends socializations, community and national service, immersion in nature and outdoor activities. Sad eh?

At least you’re not arrogant about your pov.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Well, *whtviper*, we can’t all find the depth that you have in: money, a car, and Vegas trips you know. Some of us just have to make do with family and friends socializations, community and national service, immersion in nature and outdoor activities. Sad eh?
I will give your credit - You make a great case for never raising minimum wage - we can always keep creating more minimalists and let these newly minted minimalists know they can just make due "with family and friends socializations, community and national service, immersion in nature and outdoor activities."

I think at my next all hands meeting I'll try that quoted line and let everyone know we are foregoing annual increases and they will - make due.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I will give your credit - You make a great case for never raising minimum wage - we can always keep creating more minimalists and let these newly minted minimalists know they can just make due "with family and friends socializations, community and national service, immersion in nature and outdoor activities."

I think at my next all hands meeting I'll try that quoted line and let everyone know we are foregoing annual increases and they will - make due.
Lol … the world would indeed be a better place if humanity was minimalist. All the garbage, pollution, toxicities, mass violence, overcrowding, resource depletion, global warming … gone. Non-issues.

By the way, it’s not: *make due* … it’s *make do*.

Is it make do or make due?
Due is an adjective meaning owed or having reached a date. The idiom is supposed to signify that you'll manage or get along with whatever you have at hand. Do is a verb meaning to bring about, perform, or execute. Thus, make do is the proper usage.

Enjoy your car, bro.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Enjoy your car, bro.
No time - off to Vegas tonight ha ha ha ha

Old 07-18-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
No time - off to Vegas tonight ha ha ha ha
Good luck! Enjoy. Really.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:58 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Lol … the world would indeed be a better place if humanity was minimalist. All the garbage, pollution, toxicities, mass violence, overcrowding, resource depletion, global warming … gone. Non-issues.
I beg to disagree, there are plenty of minimalists living in their cars, parks and under bridges throughout the West coast, and quite a few leave a pretty heavy footprint.

Being a bit cheeky there, and though I do support a restrained, balanced life of lesser material acquisition, I also think it's a bit disingenuous to espouse a minimalist lifestyle when you have a maxamist bank account.
If I were wealthier, I could pay plenty of people who own "things" to do those chores I need things to do. You live on a boat IIRC, do you have all your own tools and equipment to haul out and defoul your hull every few years or do you pay someone else "with all those trappings" to do it for you?
Not as easy to be a minimalist without a big bank account.
Again, I try to find the middle ground.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
I beg to disagree, there are plenty of minimalists living in their cars, parks and under bridges throughout the West coast, and quite a few leave a pretty heavy footprint.

Being a bit cheeky there, and though I do support a restrained, balanced life of lesser material acquisition, I also think it's a bit disingenuous to espouse a minimalist lifestyle when you have a maxamist bank account.
If I were wealthier, I could pay plenty of people who own "things" to do those chores I need things to do. You live on a boat IIRC, do you have all your own tools and equipment to haul out and defoul your hull every few years or do you pay someone else "with all those trappings" to do it for you?
Not as easy to be a minimalist without a big bank account.
Again, I try to find the middle ground.
Those aren’t *minimalists*. Those are homeless people. And, by the way, the “footprint” they leave is almost entirely trash they rummage from the consumer world around us all. They don’t generate hardly any trash of their own purchasing. They don’t create and market and use hardly anything toxic: chemicals, fertilizers, fuels, etc.

Do I do my own work? … why yes, I do . My fat bank account is the result of near blind luck. And I’ve used it frequently to support others less fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii