Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 03:30 PM

941 posts, read 1,971,279 times

Advertisements

In another thread, hotzcatz wrote: "Ah, but what about okolehau? If you're gonna have a culturally correct grass hut, you need culturally correct moonshine, right?"

And I was thinking: um, no, the culturally correct intoxicating beverage in Hawaii would be kava. And isn't there arleady a kava bar in a grass shack down by the coastline in Puna?

But why isn't kava more widespread in Hawaii? It seems the green-bottle beer culture has taken over as the intoxicant of choice, to the point that I don't even know of a kava bar on Kaua'i (I think I heard of one a while ago, but they seem to come and go).

I think there are locals growing their own kava and drinking it locally, but I don't know for sure because it seems to be rare and have a bit of a culture of secrecy around it. There certainly is some imported kava in the stores, but why isn't it more popular given the Hawaiian renaissance? Is it just too unappetizing to mainstream tastes? Is it too hard to make and impossible to sell in a bottle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 06:40 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,104,207 times
There used to be a Kava drink in an energy drink sized can not too long ago. Tasted really good. Can't find them anymore though.

Beer is way more intoxicating though. I haven't ever gotten a true 'buzz' from Kava, more like a mellow relaxation. Maybe I'm not drinking enough. haha

Old 02-28-2014, 07:02 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,940,135 times
There is a kava bar in Pahoa, you can get kava in Kalapana and at farmer markets, and people do grow it. (It's called 'awa, in Hawaii, so that might confuse the issue) The problem is that taking 7 years to reach harvestable age, it's not exactly the best 'cash crop' to grow in Hawaii. I also think that kava available south of the equator is a superior product, and less expensive even after being imported to Hawaii.

The best kava in the world is rumored to come from Vanuatu.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,498,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Beer is way more intoxicating though. I haven't ever gotten a true 'buzz' from Kava, more like a mellow relaxation. Maybe I'm not drinking enough. haha
I'd say that's accurate. Several years ago good friends hosted a traditional full-tilt Fiji style kava ceremony, complete with clapping and knocking cups on the table and calling out certain words and chugging the drink and more clapping. And it went on for quite a while as we laughed and carried on. The kava tasted like dishwater and everybody got a little tingly and relaxed and goofy, but not enough to call it a buzz, like Dthraco said.

Interesting. I slept really well that night. Never felt an overwhelming need to repeat the experience. I've heard others report similar experiences. That may have something to do why there aren't a lot of kava bars around.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,090,289 times
The stuff doesn't taste all that good, might be why it's not as common as some other beverages.

Awhile back, a decade or so, Kava was the new and upcoming cash crop that was going to replace whatever the reigning crop was at the time. Lots of folks planted it and were preparing to make a business of growing kava. Then someone harvested the wrong part (was it the stem instead of the roots?) and some folks either got sick or died and it made the news for quite awhile and there was a huge stink about it. That happened right when it was getting ready to become a somewhat mainstream crop so it ran into bad publicity and fell back into obscurity.

It still tastes like dirt, too. And makes your tongue numb.

What about betel nuts? Would those be culturally correct?

How about Palm Swipe or what was that moonshine made from palm sap called?

Old 03-01-2014, 09:47 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,016,111 times
Because it's messy, tastes like dirt, and for me, it's never really done anything.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,940,135 times
For best results kava should be consumed on an empty stomach. The strongest effects last about an hour and consumed slowly will not generate a "buzz" but strong kava consumed in significant quantity will make you as drunk as drinking too much whiskey and will impair your ability to drive or operate heavy machinery. It should also NEVER be mixed with alcohol. A lot of things factor into kava's potency- variety of plant, age of roots, growing and harvesting conditions, method of preparation, quantity consumed, etc. It is also said that kava has no hangover but that is simply not true. If you have too much of anything your body is going to react.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,498,988 times
And it tastes like dirt.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:58 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,781,546 times
Every wedding I went to in Hawaii featured a row of kava drinkers sitting and leaning back against the wall because they couldn't stand up. Most if not all were Tongan and I always assumed it was a Tongan drink. Nasty stuff.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:41 PM

194 posts, read 183,604 times
Default Excellent Kava thread!

I much prefer kava over alcohol as they do in Vanuatu, Fiji, etc.. Kava was never intended to get a "buzz" from. It was bred to relax pacific islanders when they came together for a reunion ceremony. It made everyone less anxious. IMO the best kava comes from Fiji although opinions will differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii