Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:41 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,045,166 times

Advertisements

read the local papers on line too will help with rentals and the job market
News, Sports, Visitor's Information - The Maui News
Kauai Garden Island News
HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser | Honolulu news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Honolulu, Hawaii
West Hawaii Today

anyway you can plan a vacation here to see if it would suit. I would not bother to bring anything other than your clothes. rent a furnished place and see what you think. jobs are scare and the ones that are available don't pay much at all. many people have at least 2 jobs. you are only young once so I would go for it. you can always go back home if it doesn't work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 05:19 AM

414 posts, read 1,010,625 times
That is interesting to think about how people can "miraculously" come up with the money if all they are going to need is airfare. Never thought about it that way.

If I may ask...why have I read so many other threads in this forum that are so much more negative? While you all have given me honest yet helpful advice, I have read so many other posts that seem to try and detract people from moving to Hawaii. I know some people think they can move to a place (like Hawaii) and change it to be like the where they came from (which always puzzles me b/c why would I want something to be like the place that I MOVED from?).

So I'm sorry if it seems as if I am asking a lot of basic questions, but I am somewhat afraid to go to any other posts here on the Hawaii forum, b/c I feel like I won't get honest opinions. As I said, any information you keep coming is really helpful.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:05 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,679,302 times
Default Leaving Family

When we considered retiring to Maui, family was a very big consideration, especially because grandchildren were on the east coast. We realized we had to make a choice, visit MAYBE twice a year depending on affordability or stay nearby and be part of their lives.

Family emergencies were another consideration, with an elderly father in the midwest. This was another consideration that factored in our choice to stay on the mainland.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:23 AM

820 posts, read 3,036,745 times
Hard to say why some threads draw one type of comment or another.

Sometimes I think it's how a question is framed.
You haven't asked in a way that implies where we live is crap or that we are all ignorant shoeless racists.

Sometimes it's the question itself.
As noted before, you are young, no kids, no health related issues that we know of. So you aren't getting the cautions about schools & racism, lack of work for your career type, or scarce advanced healthcare on neighbor islands.

The truth is that no one place works for everyone. Some people sound like they really shouldn't move here, because they are either looking for something that they might not find, or they sound like they hate everywhere they've already been. Even when we do post our attempt to answer the questions, they aren't happy with that either. My goodness, who wants to welcome that to your neighborhood?

And too, it is expensive and jobs, depending on which island, can be limited. So someone who has lots of kids, no savings, and no clear idea of what to do may not get the same plethora of ideas as you woud - you have a lot more options and possibilities ahead of you. Gosh, look how far in advance you are planning.

I believe the answer to your question is that you often get back what you put out. Then of course there are people who just have a negative viewpoint, and they may well wander into any discussion. But that is true anywhere, not just in this forum. You probably have friends or coworkers who would be the Eyore, not Tigger, in your life - always finding the reasons why something won't work... you can just laugh them off and continue with your happy life.

Your posts already show a willingness to take risk, and to be adventurous. I'm sure that even if a few people decide to try to bash your ideas, you will listen to all the feedback and make your own decisions based on your confidence that you can handle whatever comes along.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:09 AM

Ok, I think I understand now. I have actually found that people from other forums have been a lot less helpful and more negative...I posted a similar question in another forum and really didn't get much good feedback, which really detracts my husband and I from moving there. I think it's an "impression" thing. (maybe)

So...obviously the job market isn't too fabulous anywhere, but here's another question lol. If I have my BA in education and decide NOT to persue that career, would I be able to find another job that pays around the same salary as teachers get paid? I'm always afraid that by limiting my options to ONLY teaching, then I may miss out on something really good. I discovered (halfway through college, so there was NO WAY I was changing my major) that I am really good at sales. Are there jobs in that area, in Hawaii? I worked at a bridal salon and loved working with the customers and doing that sort of thing. So, I always thought I would enjoy doing that, just at a different location. Or any type of clothing/jewelry sales...I don't know...I just like to have options and so does my husband.

We are pretty open to trying new careers and living new places which is why we thought Hawaii might be a good fit.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:53 AM

18,409 posts, read 19,045,166 times
aloha the job market here really does suck. most jobs pay about 10 bucks an hour. more if you are very lucky. the sales job here are advertising, activities, cars. take a peek at the maui news on sunday and that will give you a very good idea of what is available. we recently have lost 2 airlines, the price of a ticket from the mainland is very expensive and tourism is down. lots of folks are getting laid off in the hotels. the island is slow but this is a great place and very hard to leave once you fall in love. being young w/ no children you guys could always rent a very small place have a few jobs, waiting tables and working on a dinner cruise boat anything just to hang out for a year or so. life is an adventure and if you don't try you might always wonder. do check out the papers

Old 09-24-2008, 12:02 PM

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:49 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,996 times
Default I've been thinking about this for several weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Hard to say why some threads draw one type of comment or another.

Sometimes I think it's how a question is framed.
You haven't asked in a way that implies where we live is crap or that we are all ignorant shoeless racists.

Sometimes it's the question itself.
As noted before, you are young, no kids, no health related issues that we know of. So you aren't getting the cautions about schools & racism, lack of work for your career type, or scarce advanced healthcare on neighbor islands.

The truth is that no one place works for everyone. Some people sound like they really shouldn't move here, because they are either looking for something that they might not find, or they sound like they hate everywhere they've already been. Even when we do post our attempt to answer the questions, they aren't happy with that either. My goodness, who wants to welcome that to your neighborhood?

And too, it is expensive and jobs, depending on which island, can be limited. So someone who has lots of kids, no savings, and no clear idea of what to do may not get the same plethora of ideas as you woud - you have a lot more options and possibilities ahead of you. Gosh, look how far in advance you are planning.

I believe the answer to your question is that you often get back what you put out. Then of course there are people who just have a negative viewpoint, and they may well wander into any discussion. But that is true anywhere, not just in this forum. You probably have friends or coworkers who would be the Eyore, not Tigger, in your life - always finding the reasons why something won't work... you can just laugh them off and continue with your happy life.

Your posts already show a willingness to take risk, and to be adventurous. I'm sure that even if a few people decide to try to bash your ideas, you will listen to all the feedback and make your own decisions based on your confidence that you can handle whatever comes along.
I think CalicoSalsa has once again hit upon an important underlying aspect of the forum: it's a two-way street. While posters from the mainland are looking for information and advice, we're looking at potential neighbors on a smallish island in the middle of the Pacific.

When posters are looking for an escape, an inside-track on a make-believe job, a fabulous oceanfront cottage (for cheap), and advice on how to game the system, we're sometimes thinking, "no thanks." It's unrealistic, and it can be kind of scary to encourage them too much.

When posters seem open-minded and adventurous, yet balanced and organized, it's hard to discourage them from giving it a whirl. It can be amazing and fantastic, or it may not be for you, but you will learn a great deal from it and you won't regret not having tried.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:43 AM

246 posts, read 650,599 times
mrspink,
Heed the words of BOTH of these posters and you will come here well prepared. NOt gunna say it'll be great, but just simply being prepared will allow you to adjusting to life here to carve your own path to an enjoyable experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
I think CalicoSalsa has once again hit upon an important underlying aspect of the forum: it's a two-way street. While posters from the mainland are looking for information and advice, we're looking at potential neighbors on a smallish island in the middle of the Pacific.

When posters are looking for an escape, an inside-track on a make-believe job, a fabulous oceanfront cottage (for cheap), and advice on how to game the system, we're sometimes thinking, "no thanks." It's unrealistic, and it can be kind of scary to encourage them too much.

When posters seem open-minded and adventurous, yet balanced and organized, it's hard to discourage them from giving it a whirl. It can be amazing and fantastic, or it may not be for you, but you will learn a great deal from it and you won't regret not having tried.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:12 PM
chs

31 posts, read 122,834 times
re: why no negativism
I get the idea that you will be one of the couples who move here for 2-5 years, have a great story to tell and fond memories about your years in Hawaii and then will move back to the mainland when it comes time to have kids. Your eyes seem open to this big step you are taking, unlike some. You don't seem to be all "we don't have a job or any money but we loved it there on vacation and are selling everything to move there" without a clue or a plan. Read that book about moving to Hawaii. You'll either love it or hate it the first 2 months and then you will know. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Life is a journey...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii