Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:09 AM

142 posts, read 565,959 times

Advertisements

I say go for Mauii.

We spent a week in Mauii and then a week in Kauii for our honeymoon. No regrets at all. I would do the BI if you were staying for like longer than 9 days.

Mauii (like anyplace in Hawaii) is gorgeous!!!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 08:06 AM

77 posts, read 288,051 times
Thanks, that's where Ive decided. Hana sounds great to me, but i know it's to remote for my future wife.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammaof2girls View Post
I say go for Mauii.

We spent a week in Mauii and then a week in Kauii for our honeymoon. No regrets at all. I would do the BI if you were staying for like longer than 9 days.

Mauii (like anyplace in Hawaii) is gorgeous!!!

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
I looked up the online rates this morning for several places at Kaanapali that I'm very familiar with. They range from about $200/night - $400/night. On the beach walk that includes the Whaler's Village shopping center, I looked at the Grand Hyatt (hotel), Marriott Vacation Club (timeshare condos), Kaanapali Alii (condos), Westin (hotel), The Whaler (condos), and the Sheraton (hotel) at Black Rock. Kaanapali beach continues north of Black Rock, and I also looked at Maui Kaanapali Villas (condos) and the new Westin Villas (timeshare condos).

I have either stayed or sent guests to stay at these, go to their restaurants regularly, or pass them on my daily walk. (I can tell you, for instance, that The Whaler's pool is torn up right now, and has been for two weeks. They're rebuilding it. And the Sheraton is building a new spa that's not quite finished, but could be by the end of October.) Except for the new Westin Villas north of Black Rock and two new towers at the Marriott, most of Kaanapali's hotels/condos were built in the 70s. All have been "updated," some better than others. You might want to look at some of these online, and see which appeals to you most. (There are others, too, of course. I just know these best.)

Things are pretty slow here, you can probably get a better rate on the phone if you let them know you are shopping around. Feel free to DM me, too, if you have specific questions.

As for activities, I went back to your original Maui list, and all of those are quite do-able. Lana`i is the actual place for cliff-diving, but if jumping off Black Rock will do, it's right on Kaanapali Beach. There are lots of waterfalls and a famous black sand beach at Waianapanapa State Park on your way to Hana, so you can combine several of your "musts" in one day. Haleakala would need to be another day, but check the weather carefully (there's a live weathercam), as it tends to be cloudy a lot -- particularly in the afternoons.

The Kapalua resort north of Kaanapali has also just opened a great adventure center with ziplines and a chair swing, but also lots of free hiking options: Kapalua Adventure Center - Kapalua Resort - Book Your Maui Adventure (http://www.kapalua.com/adventures/kapalua-adventure-center.php - broken link) I've done the arboretum hike twice in the past month, and we often walk on the Village Walking Trails (which are actually the concrete golf cart paths on a now-closed, naturalizing course with great views).

And you can, I think, still take a day-trip to the volcanoes via small jet from Kapalua airport on West Maui. It's just a fly-over, but a beautiful trip with views of Haleakala, Mauna Kea, Mouna Loa, and Kilauea. (I did it several years ago via helicopter, when they used to offer that.) I know it was on your "must-do" list, so you could maybe treat yourself since you've settled on a Maui resort instead of the Big Island?
What are your feelings on South Maui? Is South Maui better than Western Maui? We want to travel the Island and do as much as possible on adventure days and need a good beach and pool to relax at during off days.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:21 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
South Maui is very much like West Maui. Only different. Different hotels -- luxury/high end (Fairmont, Four Seasons, etc.) in Wailea connected along a beach walk similar to Kaanapali -- and several golf courses. Just north of Wailea, Kihei is a traditional beach town with lots of condos, shopping, dining.

All three areas (Wailea/Kihei/Kaanapali) have stunning beaches. (Several in Kihei are across the street from condos, whereas most of Wailea and Kaanapali's hotels are right on the beach.) All the beaches in Hawaii are public, so there are no closed-off areas for resort use only. Both South and West Maui are known for being somewhat hotter (but also less rainy) than other areas.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:25 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,616 times
I would say West Maui has more commercial activities than South Maui. More resorts, and more restaurants within walking distance from resort row. Lahaina is very commercial, with shop after shop, galleries galore, and many restaurants. The major luaus are up in West Maui. Kaanapali is one of only two beaches in all of Hawaii that allows commercial activities on the public sand area.

South Maui has some of that in Wailea/Makena, then Kihei is more a locals & condo rentals type of town. There are good restaurants at the resorts, and several in town, but a lot more smaller casual type of places. You can rent surf boards for standing paddle to traditional surfing.

Both areas have good snorkeling. You can drive from one to the other in about an hour to a bit longer, depending on traffic, so it isn't like you can't do everything.

If your wife likes the resorts and is more of a high-heels shopper and stop for lunch at a nice restaurant nearby, I'd say West Maui. If she likes the resorts but is also fine with a short drive for a casual bite to eat, I'd say South Maui.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:37 PM

18 posts, read 67,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Eater View Post
I've come to my senses and realized a resort experiance is a must. We can take some day trips to get away form it all if we want. I've decided on Maui for her sake. Thanks for the help, everyone. Any tips or suggestions for Maui? Off the beaten path places to eat or natural wonders to see? I'm not into trespassing and I know along the Hana Highway people have tore some of the places up. Yes, we are definately planning alternate days poolside or oceanside with days of pedal-to-the-metal sightseeing, shopping, and exploring. Thanks for your help.
After reading the first sentence in this post I was about to respond and say 'well then forget Hilo' but then I saw your third sentence, good choice!

A dawn bike ride down the mountain is a great activity on Maui (multiple tour operators offer this half day trip).

Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 AM

I'm thinking of staying at the Wai Ola in West Maui. Has anyone heard of it? Thanks all for your suggestions.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 AM

Yeah, actually I was just by there last Sunday night. A friend of ours lives on the street behind it. What do you want to know? It's in a very residential neighborhood, about 1/4-1/2 mile (and across the highway) from the water. There's no beach directly across from it, but a series of beach parks starts nearby to the north. It's kind of midway between Lahainatown and the Kaanapali resort areas.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:30 AM

Doesnt sound ideal. Thanks for the info. Is Lahaina pretty nice? Convenient to the rest of the island? I hear there are a lot of restaurants and shopping.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:34 PM

I didn't know if the Wai Ola stay was a compromise between your original "cottage" and your later "resort" thought. I can kind of see that, except it's not exactly either of those in a honeymoon kind of way, IMHO.

Lahaina is the old whaling town about 5 miles south of the Kaanapali resort area. It's a "real" town, laid out in city blocks. The two places I'd recommend staying in town are the Plantation Inn (The Plantation Inn Bed and Breakfast - Maui Bed and Breakfast in Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii) which is smack downtown -- a courtyard inn with a pool and outstanding breakfast (and dinner, I think) deal with Gerard's, one of the best restaurants in the state. But it's not on a beach. If you want to be in Lahainatown AND on a beach, I'd recommend Lahaina Shores (Maui Resorts | Hawaii Condo | Classic Resorts: Lahaina Shores Beach Resort, Lahaina, Maui, HI), which is a bit further south, but on "the main drag" (although a bit of a walk into the town proper). There's a nice beach there and a few shops and restaurants. The walk into town is not more than 5 minutes.

Lahaina Town is about 5 miles south of the Kaanapali resorts, Black Rock, Whaler's Village, etc. Just so you know, almost all of West Maui has "Lahaina" as a postal address, so every hotel, condo, and restaurant from Launiupoko to Kapalua (about 20 miles along Rt. 30) has a "Lahaina" postal address, whether the neighborhood is Lahaina Town, Wahikuli (where Wai Ola is located), Kaanapali, Honokowai, Mahinahina, Kahana, Napili, Kapalua, or anything in between.

Good luck.

Last edited by whynot?; 10-08-2008 at 05:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii