Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:40 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,196,182 times

Advertisements

LOL OK I REALLY GOT A KICK OUT OF THIS ONE!

Calico you truly are a treasure! soo patient! Desertrosedancer I don't mean to be disrespectful at all... Really - have friends who are life coaches in the West Coast. Even used one in the past.

I just saw this image of a local surfer of course in shack! looking through the phone book for a life coach - or someone retired on island was absoultely a blast for my imagination. Let alone the responses of what is a life coach. Shezzz this site is entertaining at times.

Again not trying to be insulting .... ok I will shut up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 03:44 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,196,182 times
OK I have to say one more - don't let Auntie read this thread.......... ok I shut up .. here

Old 10-11-2008, 06:08 PM

90 posts, read 469,381 times
Do you market yourself now as a life coach?

I would think you could continue to do so online, especially to the West coast, and perhaps find ways to hold "retreats" or something of value to those who'd want a "discovery vacation" or "experience" -- just some thoughts. You don't have to have a Hawaii client base for that line of work. And you don't have to be "in person" with your clients for that line of work -- you could do much via internet, email, phone, etc. You could market yourself in markets like San Francisco and LA and perhaps your current home, and I'd bet with the right marketing you could be successful, even very much so.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:58 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,410,670 times
even a nursing degree doesnt give you enough to live comfortably on in the State of Hawaii. and dang sure would have never been able to afford land, let alone my own home there. in Texas, heck, my 30-40 bucks an hour salary, i can buy a freakin ranch if i want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrosedancer View Post
Hi Calico Salsa!

Thanks for writing. You really do make some excellent points. I had wondered what type of client base I could expect to build when the area is so expensive for the average person. What would you say are the best professions in Hawaii that actually earn enough to live on if you don't have a doctor's medical degree, nursing degree, law degree, or anything like that? What do people on your island do if they don't live with 6 roomies? Thanks!

desertrosedancer

Old 10-12-2008, 03:44 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
I don't know if we would have a lot of clientèle for a life coach around here. Most folks kinda know what they are going to be doing pretty much from small kid time. Their parents, relatives and neighbors kinda know what they will be doing too. When you watch someone grow up, you know what they do and folks will find them a place to do what they are good at if they can. When you know a kid's favorite hobby is pig hunting you don't recommend them for desk jobs now do you? If they are really good at taking things apart and putting them back together better than they were and the local power plant is looking to hire a gadute* who do you send over? This is a very small community and everyone knows pretty much everyone and when you want something done you know who will be good at doing it.

Unless someone wants to be someone entirely different from how they are seen by their family and community they won't really need to pay someone for advice, will they?

*"Gadute" is kinda short hand for "go do it" which is your general helpful kinda person who can go do pretty much whatever needs to be done but generally they don't get a high social status for being competent, not quite sure why.

Hey, we can let auntie read this thread, she needs a good laugh! She would then have some sort of very common sense yet acerbic commentary, no doubt, especially if you have a Portuguese auntie. Those are probably the best at that genre.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:17 PM

66 posts, read 354,934 times
People here will not want you coming in to tell them how to live their lives. Who are you as an *outsider* to tell them what direction they should take? I get plenty free advice from everyone all the time.

You may get a few white male middle aged divorcees who just want a sympathetic ear but not many if any locals for sure. Your best bet is just to scavenge for Hawaii 5 cent bottles in the trash like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: