Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:01 PM

4 posts, read 26,040 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I admit it. I am having a long distance love affair with Hawaii. :-) As nutty snd flakey as it sounds, I went on vacation and fell head over heels in love with Oahu. I really felt like I had found "home." However, as you all know, Hawaii isn't cheap. Do any of you know how much your typical, average Life Coach earns per year? Just a ball park figure would be fabulous. I want to live in Hawaii, and I am trying to figure out how my husband and I can afford it. He is a police officer. I found a typical Honolulu officer's pay scale, and while it is about what he makes here in Texas, it would be difficult to afford a home in Hawaii on that amount. Thanks for your assistance!

Sincerely,
Desertrosedancer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 06:24 PM

18,387 posts, read 19,012,572 times
I don't have a clue what a life coach would make here are a few web sites is this what you mean?
Self Empowerment Counseling - Counseling Dialogues and Life Coaching
Honolulu Hawaii SoulWorks Imaginal Psychotherapy Life Coach Professional Development

Old 10-04-2008, 10:09 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
What the heck is a "life coach"? Is that like an auntie for folks who have no family?

Old 10-05-2008, 01:27 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,932 times
A life coach is a trained personal counselor who 'helps' people make their own important life decisions like: Should I devote more time to myself or my family? -or- Should I leave my home, my career, my family and my friends behind in order to move to a sunny Pacific Island that I really enjoyed on vacation?

Old 10-05-2008, 01:37 PM

Default LOL! Hotzcatz, you made me laugh!

Yes, Hotzcatz, it's like that....only you don't usually
"ASK" your relatives for goal setting advice or pay them for it. Aunties and other assorted relatives just shove it down your throat without being asked. :-)

A life coach helps you to live a more balanced, healthful, productive life. It's solution oriented. It helps you to discover what you really want out of life and then helps you to achieve it. Psychology helps you to understand why you do what you do. It digs deeply into your psyche and childhood issues, etc. Life coaching doesn't do that per se, but you do gain a better understanding of yourself, your life, and how to achieve your goals.

Thanks for the laugh! I appreciated it. That was a funny joke. :-)

desertrosedancer

Old 10-05-2008, 01:41 PM

Dear Hothulamaui,

Thanks so much for the links! I really appreciate your taking the time to post them!

desertrosedancer

Old 10-05-2008, 09:49 PM

18,387 posts, read 19,012,572 times
good luck I hope it gives you some info. it seems that some of your income in this area would be dependent on marketing and how many people know about your services.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:11 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,744 times
Hi Desertrosedancer,

I can't answer your exact question of the salary for a life coach in Oahu, but I'll give you my Maui perspective...

I moved from California's SF Bay Area, where life coaches were plentiful, and their work generally understood. Here on Maui, I can't think of a single person I know who would avail themselves of the services.

Why is that? In part, I think, because the attitude is different here. There isn't that same level of feeling unfulfilled or unbalanced, or whatever. I think the islands draw and keep a person who finds something here that they were seeking. It seems more of a destination that an a byway.

Also, I think that life coaching is not going to fall in the "necessities" column of expenses. With the high cost of living, non-necessities are bought by the people who have the means to do so, and perhaps they don't live here full time or they are retired and perhaps not seeking some of the traditional assist from life coaches - like career.

People who are in the general working class have fewer choices here too. Unlike the Bay Area, where you can change careers because of all the different business opportunities, there just aren't as many options on Maui - or even most of the other islands. So even if a life coach worked with someone to determine what it is they really want, how to get it might mean moving away - and no more working with that life coach!

I don't mean to be negative and discourage you from moving to Oahu. But I do think you need to really consider whether there is enough of a market for what you do.

Perhaps there is more opportunity for you to work with businesses than with individuals. Perhaps some Hawaii businesses could discover how to formulate and realize their goals.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Thanks Calico Salsa

Hi Calico Salsa!

Thanks for writing. You really do make some excellent points. I had wondered what type of client base I could expect to build when the area is so expensive for the average person. What would you say are the best professions in Hawaii that actually earn enough to live on if you don't have a doctor's medical degree, nursing degree, law degree, or anything like that? What do people on your island do if they don't live with 6 roomies? Thanks!

desertrosedancer

Old 10-09-2008, 09:21 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,744 times
Gee desertrosedancer, if I had the answer to that all my friends would be rich! OK, just joking. Of course not everyone wants to do all kinds of work.

I have friends who make a very good living as a masseuse, but only if they are very good and after they get some time in with the resort spas. You have to build the time up to get seniority and be the first booked and scheduled. Or, if you have experience with massage styles that aren't as common here, one might be able to teach it to others at the spas and start a new style.

Real estate used to be a good living, but now of course the economy has whacked that one. Not just here, but everywhere.

I think computer experts are still very much needed. People who make onsite visits, build & maintain websites, fix networks, etc. Most businesses here hire people to do that instead of having someone on payroll. Most people who have someone reliable and knowledgeable treasure them. You would have to be willing to go find your clientele, but that's true with any profession where you don't just draw a salary. Perhaps you could advertise some special deals, and give referral payments or credits to people who give your name to other businesses.

Seriously, I don't know too many people here who build their own websites, or if they do they use the canned freebie software that came with their domain and the site will be limited. Good knowledge of graphics would be invaluable. Just a good design eye. If someone sought out businesses who DON'T have a website, and offered some kind of package deal to get the domain, build the site, and X number of edits for the year, I think some of them would go for it. Even if the first build was kind of low priced, the business might go back to you for continued maintenance. Or you could check back with them every 6 months to make improvements.

Because lots of Maui business is small business, owner + 0 to a few workers, you have to be willing to go out and get your clients. As a life coach, I'm assuming you are good about pursuing your own goals, and would be willing to put yourself out there and risk rejection.

It's the old "find a need & fill it". Most people see the need, but aren't willing to take the risk or rejection of trying out their idea. I should say, most people won't when they have other options. But if they want something badly enough, or are in need deeply enough, they will risk a lot.

Tell me what else you've done in life. What other jobs or hobbies have you had?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: