Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:19 PM

50 posts, read 154,126 times

Advertisements

My Son who is 30 Lives in Hawaii he and his wife met while in Germany then moved to Hawaii after he got of of the army (Hawaii is her home). Now they have 4 children. The oldest is 5yrs, twins 3yrs, and youngest 1yr. the last time i saw the 5yr old she was 6mos old, never seen the twins,saw the baby last yr when she was born here. I talk on the phone to them daily I send gifts cards etc. I want to be around them so badly it hurts they are my only grand kids. My Daughter is here in VA in her last year of College doing very well. She is about set off to find her own way in life and continue on to her PhD. I have worked hard all my adult life to make sure my kids had what the needed as a single Mother. Now I want to be closer to my grand kids to enjoy them growing up. I spoke to my children about me living in Hawaii for 6mos and then leaving here in VA 6mo out of each year that way I could spend time with both my children. But I have never lived on a Island and to be honest a little afraid to and the only reason is I just can't jump in my car and drive away if something goes wrong always will have to fly out, I just don't want to feel trapped I guess. I have never been to Hawaii due to the fact I could not afford to come, and still maintain my house here without working. over here I only make about 17.00 hour and I work about 40- 50 hours a week it's only me i provide for mainly. If I moved there would be ok on what I make? I would not be living with my Son they all live in a large house with other people. I would need something small just for me but enough room for my grand kids to come visit. Sorry this is so long ...........I just know in my heart I want to be there but just wonder if I will make it? they live in a place called Kapolei and i would like to stay near them. I would like to come over in Jan 09-May09 Are Jobs plentiful there? Again sorry so long!!

Last edited by Mbennie; 10-31-2008 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 08:41 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
You don't mention what sort of job you are looking for, but in general, at this moment jobs are not plentiful nor will they pay much. $17 an hour is considered a good wage for around here since most of the work is service work unless you have a degree or some sort of skill. You can look at the online classifieds for the Honolulu Star Bulletin or the Advertiser to see what sorts of jobs are listed.

Generally, though, employers don't want to hire folks who aren't going to stick around, I don't know if there are any six month jobs or not. You could inquire with a temp agency, there are a few on Oahu.

Can your son find you a place to stay and some sort of temp work? Maybe a live in caretaker for an elder person? Frequently those positions come with a room.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Thank you for the reply ....I work as a health care authorization and insurance verifier, I also am a EMT/ CMA etc. thanks for the information I will checkout the website I also do consulting work for healthcare claims. Been in the health field for 26 yrs now I will keep looking ..........Thanks again for the info.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:08 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,255 times
we own a home in kapolei that family rents for below market value. the cost of rents in the state has not decreased but has remained steady.

also, we own a home in kailua, o'ahu in which "mom" (m-i-l) pays her unlicensed caregivers $12 and $15 (there's two of them) per hour. this provides us with much needed respite. we do not offer them any living arrangements as one is her granddaughter and the other has his own apt.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:33 PM

Thank for the reply I also have a Certified Nursing Certificate I have been a jack of all trades for years work at lease two full time jobs at one time. I keep all my certificates and licenses valid and update so I hope i can find work and a room to rent with private bathroom. I have been reading a lot of Blogs this is all new to me ............Why do people say they have Island fever most of us here in the so called main land would give our right are just to visit a place over there seems so wonderful .......just my opinion!

Old 11-01-2008, 04:20 PM

i'm not sure if your CNA and/or other licenses are valid here? you might need to find out about that. the red cross keeps a list of all licensed CNAs and does licensing. there are just a few other organizations that do it, but i can't recall the names. this type of service is desperately needed here and families are willing to pay for it.

visiting and living here is like comparing apples to oranges. most people who were born or raised here, imo, don't get island fever. others venture to the continent for recreation, education and job opportunities.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:59 PM

Thank you for all of the information it has been very helpful!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:58 PM

American Red Cross Hawaii State Chapter

here's the link to the red cross. click on the CNA information.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:20 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I think a lot of mainland folks get island fever since they are used to things which we just do not have available here. My cousin in New York came to visit and was appalled at how far we had to go to get "even basic groceries" let alone the lack of any "civilized entertainment" as she styled it. Oahu has opera and such but we don't have Broadway anywhere near here. No grocery stores which deliver, no cleaners that pick up and deliver, we don't even have pizza delivery in my neighborhood. Another mainland relative came to visit and she just couldn't grasp the idea of buying groceries for several days at a time. Each and every day she would wake up in the morning and decide she wanted to make some recipe which would involve a thirty mile trek into town. Even then we would have to hunt around to find specific ingredients which "any store should have". Sigh! They spent all their time looking for specific items instead of seeing what was available and selecting from that.

As far as housing goes, especially on islands other than Oahu, things such as trash pickup are not available. No mobile home parks anywhere in the state, no RV parks anywhere in the state, forget skiing even water skiing doesn't happen much because the water is too rough. There are a couple days of snow skiing on Mauna Kea every other year or so but no ski lifts, lodges or any of the usual accouterments associated with the sport. No hockey, etc. etc.

So, folks move over to "Paradise" and by that attitude alone are setting themselves up for a fall. Since when does Paradise have cockaroaches? So, anyway, folks move expecting things to be just jolly and then notice the lack of things they are used to instead of seeing what is there all they can see is what isn't. They then get island fever and disappear.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:41 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
even water skiing doesn't happen much because the water is too rough.
Beg to differ about Oahu:

It happens a lot in Kaneohe Bay on Oahu I know, and, in Keehi Lagoon I believe.

Hank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii