Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:54 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,720 times

Advertisements

Even "for free" you can find the addresses of foreclosure properties and research them from wherever you are. The most vacation-rental-friendly places are likely those closest to the beach (primarily located in/near Kihei according to the generic forclosure sites). This sounds like an investment rather than a family move, so be advised that Maui County has been in an uproar over "temporary vacation rentals" for the past few years. I don't know how condos are affected, as it seems that there are plenty available via VRBO and other similar services. If you plan to recoup your investment via vacation rentals, however, do check to see that whatever address you are interested in is in an area zoned for a legal vacation rental.

The other side of the investment coin would be demand. Currently, Maui's hotels and condos are significantly undersubscribed for this time of year. And for the next quarter or so. Flights to the neighbor islands have increased fares significantly higher than those to Honolulu. And there is a slow-down overall. Depending upon your investment scheme, you need to calculate in several months (or more than a year) of reduced and/or non-existent rental income until the national economy recovers for mainlanders to be attracted to Maui again. With or without reduced airfares. While there are "values" in the Hawaii real estate market, there are significant pros and cons depending upon your personal wealth and risk tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 06:08 AM

156 posts, read 805,668 times
Usually sheriffs office publish list of foreclosed properties, rules and schedules for auctions. For example NJ Monmouth county - Monmouth County Sheriff Kim Guadagno - Foreclosures
Is there anything similar for Maui? Or list of properties only available at sheriffs office?

Old 11-17-2008, 06:34 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Default Moratorium on Vacation Rental Permits?

I thought I read Maui was not issuing any new vacation rental permits. If you purchase a house with a rental permit then you are allowed to continue to rent. Does this also apply to condos?

A note to those considering buying a condo in HI: the monthly maintenance fees can be extremely high, so you should allow for that in your budget.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 AM

308 posts, read 517,730 times
here is the list with the total of NODs, NTSs, NFSs, LISs, and REOs

The list goes from most to least.

1 Nevada
2 Florida
3 Ohio
4 Colorado
5 California
6 Michigan
7 Georgia
8 Arizona
9 Indiana
10 Illinois
11 Tennessee
12 Maryland
13 Missouri
14 Texas
15 Massachusetts
16 New Jersey
17 Utah
18 Idaho
19 North Carolina
20 Wisconsin
21 Washington
22 Arkansas
23 Connecticut
24 Virginia
25 Oregon
26 Oklahoma
27 New York
28 New Hampshire
29 Rhode Island
30 Nebraska
31 Iowa
32 Alaska
33 Minnesota
34 Pennsylvania
35 Kentucky
36 Delaware
37 Louisiana
38 Alabama
39 New Mexico
40 Kansas
41 Montana
42 South Carolina
43 Wyoming
44 Hawai’i
45 Maine
46 Mississippi
47 North Dakota
48 South Dakota
49 West Virginia
50 Vermont

Old 11-17-2008, 11:49 AM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,080 times
dgthree:

I think your list is dated. The latest numbers show Hawaii's foreclosure rate places us at #30, an improvement from #20 the month before.

Hawaii foreclosures rank 30th in U.S. - Pacific Business News (Honolulu):

Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,720 times
Default Who Knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I thought I read Maui was not issuing any new vacation rental permits. If you purchase a house with a rental permit then you are allowed to continue to rent. Does this also apply to condos?

A note to those considering buying a condo in HI: the monthly maintenance fees can be extremely high, so you should allow for that in your budget.
My understanding is that individual houses and condos in Maui's "designated resort areas" can be rented legally without permits. Since the areas were designed to accommodate tourists, it's a way for owners of properties in those areas to maximize their investments.

The current permitting process procedures change weekly -- daily, even -- but it supposedly only pertains to properties in non-resort residential (and I think also agricultural) areas. There is at least one article a week in The Maui News and there are letters to the editors almost every day.

There are definitely houses and condos available for rental by realtors and at VRBO, etc. The rules for rentals seem to vary from county to county, BTW. Maui County (which includes Lana`i and Moloka`i) seems to be the only county having a big problem with Temporary Vacation Rentals (TVRs).

And you are right -- some of the condo/HOA fees are really high, and any prospective owner should carefully look into both the fees and the property maintenance before buying.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:10 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
In our county, it is required that a rental have an on-island manager if it is going to be rented. Don't know if a rental agency has to cover the ones on Maui or not.

As far as foreclosures, an acquaintance today said they were losing their house and they aren't even done building it yet. They are asking $750K for it, though, so I doubt it will sell before they go upside down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii