Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:26 AM

210 posts, read 972,416 times

Advertisements

San Francisco is also warm, and has a large japanese population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 05:11 PM

426 posts, read 1,737,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
It is also one of the few places that is both more expensive and more touristy than Hawaii. And the bay waters are frigid.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,996 times
There is a wonderful line in the 80s movie "Shoot the Moon," in which Albert Finney says (more or less, about SF): "This place could DIE from 'quaint.'"

Old 12-09-2008, 12:37 AM

16 posts, read 138,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPAHAOLE808 View Post
Aloha,
Im writing to you becouse I read your thread, just to let you know, Im born and raised in Okinawa, Okasan Nihonjin Otosan America jin, I left okinawa in 88 moved straight to hawaii till 2007, moved out 2007 to florida for my children education. But I do not forsee and obstacles, your son might have to take ESL, like my 2 children, and as far as job oportunities, there shouldnt be any problems. I would also suggest for bank hawaii central pacific bank for all newcomers from japan, Local residents are so nice, we have a good reputation for our hospitality and kindness, so the Best place to live would be more in kaimuki, moiliili area, kahala, ala moana, and makiki areas!!!. Condo's run from 2bdrm secured 1200.00~1400.00 about,
Y120,000.00 Y140,000.00 or so. Very safe!! Well like to say Good Luck!!

Sayonara, Hapahaole (Ai no ko)
thanks for the reply. yeah, my son will definitely need ESL. he's actually my stepson and has been raised here so far (he's 7) speaking only japanese. but my wife speaks english and i speak it to him as much as i can, so he's used to hearing it, just not producing much of his own.

thanks for the recommendations about where to live, too!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
Were you with the JET Program? I swear, every person I have ever known that was on that program came back with a Japanese wife. Most of the guys I knew in the program ended up going back to school.
yep, jet program for me. yeah, i guess a lot of guys do end up with japanese wives here. my wife is only japanese in nationality, though. definitely not japanese-minded.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
i'd actually thought about san francisco, too, but like the other poster said, it's even more expensive than hawaii, from what i've read. and although it supposedly has a large japanese community, i don't think it compares in that respect to hawaii. as far as i can tell, nothing does (well, except south brazil, i guess). it does look beautiful from what i've seen and heard, though, and if i was on my own, i'd probably consider it more seriously.

Last edited by freeimprov; 12-09-2008 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 12-09-2008, 01:15 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,186,051 times
I would be more concerned about the vog in HI personally -- Kona hit me hard - couldn't live there - Hilo or if looking into SF WA is just as good choice.

WA is very asian - open to cultures also - more jobs than HI but it is slowing down too - look into the Olympia area if interested - cheapest but nicest in my mind

Good luck

Old 12-14-2008, 07:54 PM

24 posts, read 125,978 times
I was also in Japan for some years, although not in ESL, so my situation is a little different. From what I gather, a good career would be to work for a company that does business in Japan, say a trading company. Or US companies that need to work in Japan, or vice versa. There's lots of that in California, such as LA, where lots of Japanese companies have offices. Otherwise, teaching Japanese or tourism are your options.

In terms of Japanese expat and Japanese American population, Hawaii and California are definitely tops. New York also has a lot, although the cold weather would preclude that.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:45 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,405,865 times
I would avoid the Big Island if your son has severe asthma. While the vog does not bother some people, it does seriously affect many, especially those w/ respiratory problems. Obviously Oahu is a good choice and possibly more job opportunity for you. And, still, a bright blue sky almost every day! (sigh, I miss that blue sky)

the northern part of the Big Island which has less vog also has less opportunity for jobs, as it is very rural with a few small towns. Great for the artists though.

Our economy is defnitely feeling the effects of the recession on a fairly significant level.

Good luck to you. Hawaii is a wonderful place to live.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,490 times
hey there,

I just came across this thread after searching on Google and I was wondering if you wouldnt mind telling me how everything worked out.
I am actually in the same EXACT predicament as you were...hopefully not anymore, and am wondering if I should even try moving to Hawaii at all.
I have the Japanese wife, kid etc. and have been here in Japan about 10 years.

Id love to hear any info youd be willing to share.

cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: