Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 06:14 PM

35 posts, read 174,620 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Hawaii for 19 days late Dec./early Jan. and am having a tough time deciding how much time to spend on each island. Ideally, I'd like to see an island first before deciding how much time to spend there....but I should probably book my interisland flights soon, to get the better deals. I'd like to spend a good amount of time exploring Kauai (I was thinking around 10 days), and the other 9 days split between Oahu and Maui. Actually, I was originally going to spend all my time in Kauai (absolutely loved it during my very short visit last time) but decided that it would be ashame not to visit a few of the other islands while I"m there...perhaps I will love the others just as much or even more!

How much time would you want to spend on each island if you were visiting? I know a lot of this depends on personal preference, but those of you that know the islands well might be able to give me some insider info I tend to get tired of touristy areas fast (not planning on spending much time in downtown honolulu). I love to immerse myself in the local culture of anyplace I'm visiting, and particularly enjoy mingling with the locals/residents--no better way to get a feel for what it's like to live there. I find it fascinating to learn about the differences in each area's way of life...and I think it adds new insight to how I see/perceive the world (yes, I'm still young and impressionable ).

I'm a female in my mid 20's, and will be traveling alone (my first time going alone, actually!!!)...but am so looking forward to this adventure Along that thought, any areas I should avoid on any of the islands (ie less safe for solo traveler) ?

I particularly enjoy 'off-the-beaten-path' spots, so any suggestions for not well known 'must see' spots that I should not miss?

Thanks for reading through these paragraphs. I really need to learn to express my thoughts more succinctly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 10:46 AM

210 posts, read 973,314 times
look, dont plan in advance-we ended up changing all our plans when we came to Hawaii as tourists, you can buy interisland flights on the same date. We ended up changing ours several times. there are plenty of hotels/flights, just get here and see how it goes
On Maui you can do Road to Hana and Seven Sacret Pools, couple of days, one day for the volcano, and couple of days for everything else, you should be fine

Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 PM

35 posts, read 174,620 times
Thanks, Julia Did you buy the higher-priced tickets that were flexible? I think they cost almost twice as much as the cheaper tickets (those that don't allow date changes). I might end up taking the ferry to Maui, seems that might offer more flexibility...from there, i'll book a flight to Kauai.

Also, I've been checking out car rentals on the islands....seems like all the companies are sold out already for the entire time I'll be visiting!!! Which surprised me since I thought there would be less visitors this year. Anyways, if anyone knows of any car rentals that still have available cars in Maui or Kauai between Jan. 1-11, let me know.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:15 AM

67 posts, read 270,096 times
I would definitely hit the big island if you like (off the beaten track) because the BI is one of the least commercialized islands, but has tons of small towns. Plus i think there is much more to do on the big island (Where else can you go snowboarding in Hawaii). Have fun and don't plan its more fun that way.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:26 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Inter-island tickets aren't all that expensive, especially since you would only be flying one way. It will probably be less than $100 to fly the same day. However, all flights go to Honolulu and then reset into another flight from there. So, if you start on Kauai and then go to Maui, you will have to go to Oahu ($75) and then get another ticket to get to Maui ($75).

If you can book a flight that comes into one island - (are there any direct flights into Kauai?) then go visit Oahu, then fly to another island and fly out of that island to the mainland (if they have direct flights), it will save the inter-island fares. However, the inter-island fares are probably the least expensive parts of your flight fares so it might not matter much.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:43 PM

649 posts, read 3,448,851 times
There are direct flights into Lihue, Kauai (LIH). Delta flies direct from LAX, I'm sure there are others. Very good prices can be had now; red-eyes are available for under $300, if you get lucky (that may be through Oahu, not sure). Friend flew yesterday nonstop from LIH to LAX, returning Wednesday, for about $400 RT.

Hawaiian has a direct flight from LIH to OGG (Maui) at 9:25 a.m. (HA508); not sure about return. There are also direct flights from Maui to Hilo and Maui to Kona. I'm sure there are a few others, I didn't check all possible combinations.

I don't know what Mokulele has.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:51 AM

12 posts, read 50,485 times
The ferry is no longer running so is not an option. There are great inter-island fares right now, as low as $38 one-way. Try Kihei Rent-a-Car on Maui. Definitely do the road to Hana and plan to stay the night. It is too much for a one day trip if you really want to get the full experience. It is the trip itself that is the visit. Definitely visit Waianapanapa State Park in Hana as well as Hamoa Beach. Also, hike up to the bamboo forest at Oheo Gulch (Seven Pools). Magnificent waterfall and pool to swim. Check hawaiianair.com as well as go!airlines and mokulele.

The Big Island is one of the most magnificent areas - definitely do not miss the volcanoe. One of the greatest experiences of my life. There are no words to express this amazing experience. Do a helicopter tour if you can - but most definitely hike to the lava flows if it is available. It changes daily with the flow, so you have to check when you get there.

Kauai is amazing and a helicopter tour there is one of the best on any island. Take the boat up the river to fern grotto - a little touristy, but well worth it. Drive all the way to Ha'ena - it is spectacularly beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii