Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 10:34 AM

10 posts, read 68,607 times

Advertisements

I know how hard it is to bring dogs and cats into Hawaii, but does anyone have any information on bringing pet turtles into Honolulu airport? I can't see how they would be subject to a strict quarantine as with dogs or cats but is there any kind of stipulations on bringing turtles? I have 2 red eared sliders and an african sidenecked turtle. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,455 times
Here's a link to the D of Ag's page on bringing turtles in: Importing Turtles/Tortoises to Hawaii — Hawaii Department of Agriculture There is an application process, and pre-arrival and post-arrival vet inspections/certifications are required and your first entry to the state must be through Honolulu (as opposed to any neighbor isle) airport. As far as I know, only snapping turtles are specifically denied entrance to the state.

You might also be interested in this news story from Maui last week: African tortoise found on Maui beach - Hawaii News - Starbulletin.com Someone's African tortoise "escaped" and washed ashore on a beach in Kihei.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
You need a Health Certificate from the turtle’s Vet, and a PQ-7 Permit to Import Restricted Commodities. Before anything else, contact the Hawaii dept of Agriculture (808) 832-0566 to make sure the specific turtle is not a prohibited item. Do not attempt to bring the turtles into Hawaii without the proper permit. If you are caught trying to bring them in under the radar, they consider it smuggling and will treat you as a dangerous smuggler.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 10,004 times
There are policies regarding on bringing pet at airport. You may call your designated airport and inquire regarding that matter. But please, do take a lot of care when you brought your turtle with you in a long travel. Here I can give you informations on turtle care guide. (http://http://www.turtleguidebook.com - broken link)

Old 04-08-2011, 12:59 AM

88 posts, read 301,211 times
Bringing a pet turtle to Hawaii was sooooo much easier than a dog. I will see if I can find the link I used for sending the turtle by UPS. I packed it up as the directions said and shipped it overnight through UPS. The turtle came to the animal quarrantine office and they called me immediately. Everything was in order and I paid $5 for the import.

Call the animal quarrantine office and they will tell you everything you need.

I had a red eared slider. The airlines wouldnt ship the turtle unless it went frieght. UPS was sooo much less expensive.

Gib

Old 04-08-2011, 01:07 AM

88 posts, read 301,211 times
Here is how we boxed her up....

Shipping Turtles and Tortoises

The people here were very impressed we did it right to avoid the turtle being harmed during shipping.

None of the airlines wanted to touch a turtle....they all sent me to the frienght office instead. One even said that due to the rabies quarrantine they wouldnt ship a turtle....LOL The Vet checkup was pretty easy too. They just looked for shell issues and the normal stuff.

The turtle was perfectly fine when we got her.

Hope that helps.

BTW: With Insurance on the UPS it was about 175 to send overnight. If we had gone without it would have been about 90 dollars. That was from San Diego.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:06 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaiasillo View Post
I know how hard it is to bring dogs and cats into Hawaii, but does anyone have any information on bringing pet turtles into Honolulu airport? I can't see how they would be subject to a strict quarantine as with dogs or cats but is there any kind of stipulations on bringing turtles? I have 2 red eared sliders and an african sidenecked turtle. Thanks!
Why in the world would you want to take the chance of being responsible for introducing some foreign destructive species to hawaii. What's next. Do you want to bring in spitting cobra's or phython's? Or perhaps some saltwater crocodiles!!!!!

For Christ's sake, there is enough in Hawaii to enjoy without having to bring outside potential pests into the Islands. Read about the Coqui frogs that are infesting the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii