Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:22 PM

227 posts, read 921,831 times

Advertisements

Just got called by our school in Kauai that classes are canceled tomorrow. Trying to find out more information on what to expect if any of you have some good links send them my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 12:46 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,316,593 times
I usually keep an eye on the news here: KGMB9 News Hawaii - Homepage (http://kgmb9.com/main/?storyID=6619 - broken link)

National Weather Service link: National Weather Service Forecast Office - Honolulu, Hawai`i

Looks like everyone is getting Friday off except those of us on the Big Island...!

Old 01-16-2009, 04:20 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
Yeah, beautiful calm day on na Moku Nui. Kinda just like Iniki was, isn't it? We've spent the morning playing lumberjack and taking down a large java plum tree before it falls on the neighbor's power lines again. Seems kinda un-necessary with this lovely weather, but it did need to be done eventually.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:49 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,617,352 times
Lucky you're not in Puna makai. We've had gusty Kona wind all day. The air is auburn and smells & tastes awful!

Old 01-16-2009, 05:54 PM

649 posts, read 3,449,927 times
???? where is/was the storm??? Looked like the kids got off school today, for....

.... sunny, calm weather!!

Reminds me of those 'snow days' when the snow didn't materialize, either. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Oh, well, everyone in my household is happy (two school kids and one teacher who got a 4-day weekend, my hubby whose electrician came and worked on his shop-in-progress, and me, who got to go to some fun and lucrative appointments that I thought I might have to cancel).

Old 01-16-2009, 05:54 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,316,593 times
It's so hard to predict...we have the doors and windows all open today in Hilo after keeping them closed most of the day yesterday. It's sunny and nice here right now.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 PM

134 posts, read 518,096 times
Yeah, this morning when I woke up it was so sunny, I thought everyone had made a mistake. But over the past few hours, it's been looking more ominous. I think everyone's trying to prevent another December Storm debacle by being extra cautious.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:56 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,597,339 times
Man, I was so ready for this makani nui, as in big storm!!!! Bought batteries, bottled water, case of Spam, (not spam lite, eh, I mean, really!!!) Tied down the furniture on the lanai, put everything else inside, ran duck tape across the windows, (yep!!! Made from real Ducks!!!!!), filled the bathtub with water just in case, had some candles handy, and my emergency first aid kit handy, which consists of 6 pack beer, sour Hanalei Poi, Kalua Chicken, and two band aids, even filled some sand bags for extra measure, finally, I duck taped my cats to the lanai table, nothing worse than seeing your cat flying through the air at 50 MPH, although it may give them a slight advantage over the birds????? Who knows????? And what happens,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Little wind, some rain, THAT'S IT!!!!!!! I'm calling Guy Hagi first thing in the morning!!!!!

Aloha and okolemaluna
Any suggestions as to how one gets duck tape off a cat????????? "MMMEEEEEEOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!", well, gotta run

Old 01-17-2009, 02:12 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
WD40 will take the sticky off your cat but won't do anything for the stickerfeet stuck into you during the process. Still, if it is duck tape won't the cat eat it?

The rain has appeared now, steady rain with occasional gusts of Kona winds. It's not often the wind chimes on the porch sound off because they only chime in Kona winds but they were all being amazingly melodious this morning. Maybe I should move them to the other side of the house and let them chime more often. There is a small river running down the road but nothing seems to be flooded yet.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:27 PM

850 posts, read 4,372,651 times
nice and sunny yesterday.

woke up to the mist this morning. nothing heavy.

however, there was an earthquake at around 3am this morning. slept right through the 4.0 quake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii