Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 AM

21 posts, read 61,958 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering how realistic it would be to move to Kauai or Maui and try to find a job as a personal trainer (in a gym or hotel fitness center for example).

Is it the case that there already too many PTs there working as waiters in hotels waiting for PT opportunities?

Are there even all that many gyms there? Do many hotels/resorts even employ personal trainers?

Thanks!
Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
There's some online yellow pages you could check. There aren't that many hotels or gyms on either Kauai or Maui that you wouldn't be able to make a list of them and then look them up online and see if they offer personal trainer services.

Many of the hotels aren't hiring right now because of the downturn in tourism. One of the Waikiki hotels was on the news the other night about how they were cross training their folks instead of hiring new when one of their employees retired or had to leave for some reason. They are trying to provide enough hours for the workers they already have is what the hotel said.

Is a personal trainer something that requires a degree or certification?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,902 times
Default It Depends

There are lots of personal trainers (employed) and lots of personal-trainers-in-waiting, not as many waiting tables since so many of those serving jobs have been lost lately. Finding a job -- any job -- is much harder than it would have been a year ago. The daily paper now runs maybe a column or two of "help wanted" ads, whereas a year ago there would've been two pages at this time of year.

I live on Maui. There are several gyms here: Gold's, 24-Hour Fitness, and a few "independents." The local gyms seem to have a fair amount of turnover, or they used to advertise a lot. (Not now.) I don't know if people got "placeholder" jobs there until they found other work, or if the jobs just didn't pay enough.

Most of the nicer hotels have a gym or some kind of workout facility, and also offer a selection of classes in weights, aerobics, water-fitness, yoga, etc. Many of these operations have been contracted out, either to a fitness management company or via subcontracts to companies who offer each specialty. In other words, very few of the hotels hire fitness people directly, but you could contact the people to whom they contract the work.

From a casual, personal observation standpoint, I can tell you that the gym business seems to be in a bit of a decline -- facilities not being kept as nicely as they could be, equipment not being replaced, and lots of membership "specials." (I know it's that time of year, though, so that could be a factor.) I walk in the Kaanapali resort area almost every day, too, and note the activities at the various resorts there. The Sheraton just opened a new spa last month, the Westin's gym seems fairly busy, the Marriott has a yoga/water fitness franchise that seems very popular, and the Hyatt's fitness center is up-and-down. That's just one area, though.

Another thing I've noticed is that the beach park nearest my house used to attract a number of (what I presume are) freelance personal trainers and "life coaches." I know the latter isn't fitness, exactly, so maybe the guy was just there to swim, but these guys are all gone. I was never sure whether their operation in the park was legal; I think they were supposed to have a permit. So they could've just been flushed out by park security, but there's a lot less of that kind of "activity" in general.

I hate to discourage people from moving, but the economy is so tenuous that it's hard right now to encourage anyone to move who doesn't have a high-demand skill or trade. There are many fewer tourists (today's Honolulu Advertiser says hotel occupancy is as low as it was just after 9/11: Hotel occupancy in Hawaii drops to 60.9% | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser) and locals are scrambling to take whatever work can be found and not really spending anything extra because nobody really sees an end in sight.

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 PM

21 posts, read 61,958 times
Hey, thanks for the replies so far.

Yes, a certificate is required, which I am currently studying for. I hope to have it sometime in April, May at the latest.

The gym I belong to now (in upstate NY) has actually seen an increase in membership, and in PT sessions sold, over the last 3 months. So I thought I'd check out places I'd actually WANT to live as well...

I've been maintaining a low-level of clients from my freelance web-developer gig, which I could still do in Hawaii (I did it for 6 months in Buenos Aires), but I'm so sick of computers. So that would certainly be a help if it took awhile to find PT work/clients.

Greg

Old 02-04-2009, 06:18 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,068 times
Remember that gyms and PT always have a big upswing in the New Year... resolutions and all that. The question is: is the upswing as big as it was last year? I'd bet no.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:17 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,434 times
We don't have too many gyms in Kauai. The Y just opened and there is the biggest gym in Lihue. Also, the Hyatt offers classes in their workout center, but they are possibly the only hotel that does. I would say you need a place like Maui or Oahu where there is a legit gym...we don't really care that much in Kauai...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii