Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:21 AM

20 posts, read 38,077 times

Advertisements

So my guy of 4 years has made this an impossible topic as we both want different things in relocation choices. We want to move from Atlanta Georgia to somewhere else. Now here is what makes this interesting because some of the things we want do kind of agree. He is a firefighter and I am an artist, so we need a place with people and excitement. He wants to be active in his career and I want some artsy strange people in my future town/city. Problem? I want to own a house in the middle of activity and something to always do. He wants to live in the quiet and space of the suburbs. I want to be able to walk to a INDEPENDENT coffee shop (anyone else here hate starbucks?) and go do interesting things (bookstores, art, hip places, museums, ball or football games) We want a place that is very DOG friendly. We have a Chow Chow and a Siberian Husky. They are big dogs that love to go where we go. My guy wants hot summers and beaches. I am neutral about the weather. We just disagree about living in the city or the suburbs. So I guess we need a suburb in the city if that makes sense. We want to start a family within a year or two from relocation. So no place dangerous. We are in our twenties and love culture and life. So in summary, we need a place with: A) art B) beaches C) dog friendly D) active so my poor firefighter doesn't twidle his thumbs all day E) AFFORDABLE! F) local markets and independent coffee shops. So what do you guys recommend? Think you can solve our brainteaser?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 03:10 PM

203 posts, read 1,359,042 times
I'd say Northern Florida. Try the panhandle. Just my two cents

Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 PM

156 posts, read 806,606 times
South NJ.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,090,289 times
San Diego?

You definitely won't find that list anywhere in Hawaii that I know of. If I knew where it was, I'd live there too!

Old 02-20-2009, 01:14 AM

4 posts, read 10,306 times
Hey me and my buddy just moved out here from Atlanta! I have been to alot of places, and from the stuff your looking for, Hawaii is POSSIBLE, but probably not the best choice. Firefighter would be REALLY hard to get the foot in the door out here, same as with the PD. I think a good bet in the states would be fla. Miami, Clearwater, Tampa, Panhandle Areas, and the keys. Look into Coastal California, north of LA(always needing firefighters). Hawaii is amazing, but in order to live here you sarifice standard of living and in return get a higher quality of life. I agree with Hotzcatz on San diego, worth checkin out.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:37 AM

156 posts, read 806,606 times
So, you think San Diego "E) AFFORDABLE!"? In compare to Atlanta?

Old 02-20-2009, 05:41 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,586,037 times
I'm with the Mad Russian on this one, South Jersey is your best bet, by far!!! Don't think you could go wrong there,,, the beaches, the weather, the lovely native people, the food, the climate, the luaus, the never ending summers, the beaches,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wait,,,, think I already mentioned that one, maybe I was thinking of somewhere else???????? Never mind,,,,,,,,,,

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 02-20-2009, 09:38 AM

20 posts, read 38,077 times
Lol. I had made postings elsewhere but they got deleted. South New Jersey? Anywhee specific in mind there? San Diego is a bit expensive for us. All our family is on the east coast. Atlanta, Georgia is just killing us. We are bored with it. You don't want to live in the city, because there isn't much room, but the city is the most exciting. Our dogs are stuck at home which is not kool. So where in South New Jersey? San Diego is a bit expensive. How much are the homes? What did you mean by standard of living? Hawaii sounds awesome. Is it dog friendly?

Last edited by nikgrr12; 02-20-2009 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-20-2009, 11:40 AM

23 posts, read 79,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikgrr12 View Post
Lol. I had made postings elsewhere but they got deleted. South New Jersey? Anywhee specific in mind there? San Diego is a bit expensive for us. All our family is on the east coast. Atlanta, Georgia is just killing us. We are bored with it. You don't want to live in the city, because there isn't much room, but the city is the most exciting. Our dogs are stuck at home which is not kool. So where in South New Jersey? San Diego is a bit expensive. How much are the homes? What did you mean by standard of living? Hawaii sounds awesome. Is it dog friendly?
Hawaii is awesome but when you said you were looking for somewhere affordable Hawaii is pretty expensive. Well I guess it depends in what area you live. Hawaii is pretty dog friendly I have 4 dogs and they're happy here. The weather is calm there's beaches all around and it's pretty laid back.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 PM

217 posts, read 641,147 times
what about new orleans? the most dog friendly, art friendly, diverse city you will ever find. and coffee shop - you haven't had coffee until you had cafe du monde (except for KONA!~)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii