Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 04:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Now, back to the fun stuff!

Did you know that Hawaii was the first state to start with the letter H?
Nice try, but that belongs on a different thread. This one is about the sale of disputed Hawaiian lands, and the attempt to restore an archaic form of government to benefit the members of one tiny special class.

Last edited by OpenD; 09-28-2013 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 04:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:

Did you know that Hawaii was the first state to start with the letter H?
Did you know that in Hawaii - people drink Mai Tai's? Please share your story of unique local Hawaii culture here.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:22 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times
I love this song. It reminds me of when I was young and had a runny nose!

OFFICIAL Somewhere over the Rainbow - Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo

Old 09-28-2013, 04:32 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That's it? That's all you've got?

You broke the rules here* by dismissing me as having diminished mental capacity due to taking drugs, which is close to being the most offensive false statement you could possibly make about me, and then your only response to being called out for your violation is to mock me for being offended?

And yet you want folks today to join your demand to make amends now for a 120 old mistake, fomented by other people who are long dead against other people who are long dead?? I find that to be a hypocritical position, since you won't make an apology yourself to someone you've deeply offended right now, right here.

*From the TOS:

From the FAQ on Personal Attacks:
TOS thats interesting....

120 year old mistake.... the life you live many of the things you enjoy in it, has been brought upon by the mistake some dead people made soo long ago, most people call that mistake an illegal act. There was an apology for that, so called mistake....... by you. apology accepted!!! I am sorry were you a US citizen when the then prez Bill Clinton apologized? made some 120 years ago. if so then you apologized for the mistake some dead people now fix the mistake

you're feeling deeply offended. wow thats interesting.... how so? please elaborate. did I say you were doing drugs? if so what kind? you don't smoke? I smoke all the time... Tako..... pork, fish.. the list goes on buggah is gooood!!

I ask no one to join my demand, I want nothing more to educate people to what's going on here in hawaii. They have a mind they can make their choice as to what they want in their lives. i could go on and on of the atrocities the US does world wide, then again some one said something about making the "WOLRD" a better place to live in if they using US as a role model..... OUCH..

Old 09-28-2013, 04:42 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,863 times
Quote:
I love this song. It reminds me of when I was young and had a runny nose!

OFFICIAL Somewhere over the Rainbow - Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo

IZ a true Hawaiian!! another song he sings is that of... listen an you can here for yourself....

Ua Mau Ke Ea - A Film by Kau`i Sai Dudoit - About The Film & Film Maker

Hawaii '78 - IZ - YouTube

Old 09-28-2013, 04:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Im Native American not Kanaka Maoli but i believe as distant family we share common experiences that can bridge the gap of difference between us
But I'm family too. Literally.

Genetic science has established that every single human being who is alive today is related to everyone else, because we all share the same small group of common ancestors who lived millions of years ago in Africa. It's just that on the great migration out of Africa my branch of the family turned left at the Middle East and headed Northwest into Europe, while yours turned right and headed to the Northeast or Southeast corners of Asia, and then on from there.

I've spent my entire adult life working to defuse racial conflicts and tear down barriers to equality. My personal view is that anything a person inherited... their race, gender, parents, family, country, color of skin or eyes, body type, texture of skin or earwax, blood type, innate intelligence, physical size, date of birth, etc. ... is completely out of their control, and therefore it is irrational for people to judge others for any of those factors. I believe that wholeheartedly, and I teach it to others as I am able.

And though I was born into a level of high regard, as a smart blonde blue-eyed member of the White Bread n' Mayo tribe of the American Midwest (missing only the "rich and powerful" top rung), like most adult human beings everywhere, I've had personal experiences which touch all the same corners of human emotion that yours do, and I'm open and sensitive to other views than my own. For these reasons I claim membership in that same family that you see yourselves in. So I'm not willing to support any political action which is based on division and exclusion.

Matter of fact, as I've educated myself on the issues and history brought up by this discussion, my own position has gradually changed. I came into this thinking that something like the Akaka Bill, granting some level of tribal autonomy and "home rule" within the boundaries of the established Hawaiian Homeland, much as First Nation people have on their reservations, was something I could support.

But now that I understand the bigger picture, including how manifestly unfair the deposed Hawaiian monarachy of 1893 and its predecessors were to almost everyone except those at the very top, I want nothing to do with it. It patently deserves to be relegated to the scrap heap.

For all its faults and shortcomings, and all our ongoing struggles to improve it, our Modern American system of representative democracy is the best form of government yet developed. And I'll now say its principles should be applied openly, fairly, and inclusively to management of all "Homeland" property in Hawai'i, and the benefits of that current special "set aside" should be made available to all citizens equally who have authentic Hawaiian ancestry of any kind, regardless of Kanaka Maoli "blood quantum." It's only fair. We're really all family.

Last edited by OpenD; 09-28-2013 at 05:00 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
IZ a true Hawaiian!! another song he sings is that of... listen an you can here for yourself....

Ua Mau Ke Ea - A Film by Kau`i Sai Dudoit - About The Film & Film Maker

Hawaii '78 - IZ - YouTube

Now we're having fun!
I love IZ's music. I have all his CDs, DVDs and a book about his life. Sad that he went so young.

Here's another favorite of mine!

OFFICIAL Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo

Old 09-28-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

I've spent my entire adult life working to defuse racial conflicts and tear down barriers to equality. My personal view is that anything a person inherited... their race, gender, parents, family, country, color of skin or eyes, body type, texture of skin or earwax, blood type, innate intelligence, physical size, date of birth, etc. ... is completely out of their control, and therefore it is irrational for people to judge others for any of those factors. I believe that wholeheartedly, and I teach it to others as I am able.

The only true race is the human race - CNN.com

Old 09-28-2013, 06:56 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
I think you have made this a race thing. I never suggested racism, but logic says that we are talking Kanakas because its them who lost there nation and etc. Did the Americans, japanese, chinese etc etc lose Hawai'i when the Hawai'ian kingdom was overthrown? No, so the damage was to who? Kanakas. This is why i mention only them.

@OpenD

Your offended? It doesnt even describe how natives like myself and Kawena feel when despite the evidence presented, that you can't even admit the reasonable possiblity of wrongdoing.

Sudden Rush " Paradise Found " KU'E - YouTube
This is the sovereignty i support but can't happen intel yo admit a wrong happened and try to fix it.

Sudden Rush - "Hawaii 3000 (Hawai'i 78 Reloaded)" (ft. Uncle Willie K) - YouTube

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 09-28-2013 at 07:13 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 06:57 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Bruddah Iz version better, but this covers modern issues.
For the younger at heart generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii