Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 12:17 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,539,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Yup and when we conquer iraq and we will in time, we will also have some selfrightous selfserving justifiable excuse on how its "the right thing" to take whatever we want. And fifty years after the war, instead of hawaiian by heart and you having this talk, it will be some poor arab saying that what the Unitted States did was illegal. And your desendends will say "you know it was 50 years ago its water under the bridge" while driving there cars cheaper because now The U.S owns oil fields.
To think what will happen in Iraq 50 years from now. George Bush tried to pardon and Chenny himself from war crimes could it possibly be because what went on in Iraq? Now if they are granted IMMUNITY... doe it cover the US and all the legal ramification they could possibly recieve because of a mistake..... wait, it was an illegal act.

Hawaii had a queen to which the US had removed. Sadam he was the ruler of Iraq was removed. I don't agree with who he was or what he stood for yet it was according to US laws and the constitution to remove him.

wait 100 years it will be all water under the bridge.

The US's motto...... " We can make the world a Better Place"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 12:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yep, I made the same point a while back, and don't be shocked, but I also agree with your conclusion that nobody owes anybody anything at this point, 120 years after the fact. It's all just water over the falls today.

OK, this is pure idle curiosity, but how did they wind up wealthy after you grew up living in such poverty in that single wide trailer in LaGrange, where the rich kids beat you up, and then when you were 8 you moved to that tiny house... oh, now I get the connection to why you think Tiny Houses are stupid <lightbulb ON>... then you moved to that tiny house in the cesspool of Lyons, and that's why you are so focused on not ever being poor again. There's definitely a chapter missing in this saga. Enquiring minds want to know how the 'rents moved up so dramatically in the world after you moved out?
Since you asked and are so curious -

My mother was 18 and father 20 when they met - mother moved to US when she was 7 from Luxembourg and father came from Kentucky - part of a large family where 2 sisters married 2 brothers and live across the street from each other. Until I was in high school - my grandparents had an outhouse and no indoor plumbing - for those wondering, you'd use a pump in the back to fill a tub for a bath.

Anyway, father started as a mechanic/truck builder at a place called Hendrickson. Good ole mom a phone operator at Illinois Bell - where they actually put plugs in the board to connect calls.

Suffice it to say - it didn't pay well.

They moved to the good ole trailer park - not one of those fancy doublewides you see today - and was there until 8 when father got to foreman - mother to an executive assistant position at the bell system.

Anyway, Lyons wasn't really an upgrade but is what a house - anyway, here is where it got fun - ATT is forced to break itself up - employees choose where to go - she goes the ATT parent route and gets an entry level manager position. She rises thru the ranks as the organization is in turmoil eventually getting to VP managing various facilities - the break for her was when ATT wanted to downsize and the ludicrous packages they were offering she accepted. Chalk one up for mom. For deal old dad, he rises the management ranks - and good old Hendrickson is sold - the plant shut down in Lyons, and voila - another buyout. Mom retires - dad gets an executive position at the place - the name escapes me - they build most of those busses that circle the airport for rental car places. Off to college I go - and like the Jefferson - unlike the upper east side, they head off to Burr Ridge happily ever after. Of course, the 1,000 shares of PeopleSoft for $26,000 (give or take) from that little startup I was working at I suggested they buy was a nice bonus also. That turned into if I recall correctly somewhere in the neighborhood of $900K - but they would have been fine without that. Suffice it to say, they don't like tiny houses either.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,474,331 times
Thoughts on David Sai's filings at the ICC and ICJ:

David Sai, self appointed to the "Acting Government of the Kingdom of Hawaii", is a convicted class B felon, whose Perfect Title Company claimed back in the 90s that all real estate transactions since 1893 were invalid in the face of claims prior to the abdication of Queen L because of the illegitimacy of the US occupation yadda yadda. A number of people following his advice on this point subsequently stopped paying their "invalid" mortgage payments, then lost their homes and property in foreclosure. In 1997 the state had enough of this nonsense and raided his firm and shut it down. Sai wound up with a sentence of five years probation for theft. In street parlance he's a grifter, a con man, a honeyfuggler who makes his living by sweet talking people into believing a big fantasy he's spun about restoring the monarchy and thus getting native peoples a lot of free goodies, with rainbows and sparkles and stuff.

The ICC in the Hague is an international court that is primarily concerned with prosecuting horrendous war crimes and genocide, like the mass killings in Darfur. Jurisdiction is by treaty. The US is not a party to the ICC. <yawn>

The ICJ in Geneva is the international court of the UN. Per Wikipedia:

"After the court ruled that the U.S.'s covert war against Nicaragua was in violation of international law (Nicaragua v. United States), the United States withdrew from compulsory jurisdiction in 1986. The United States accepts the court's jurisdiction only on a case-by-case basis. Chapter XIV of the United Nations Charter authorizes the UN Security Council to enforce World Court rulings. However, such enforcement is subject to the veto power of the five permanent members of the Council, which the United States used in the Nicaragua case." IOW, that filing isn't going anywhere, either.

Bottom line, it's all just theater to keep those contributions coming in...

Last edited by OpenD; 09-29-2013 at 01:21 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Since you asked and are so curious -
Thanks, that was interesting. Great story.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:25 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
its a good thing your not in the ICC.... Hague of for that matter the POTUS.... Nov 24,1993? 100 years later..

you may put a time limit on anything you want now tellme there is a time limit on the law... a statue of limitations. but in the case of the overthrow. There is none.

Thank You Berry Much
See ive only approached this issue on a emotional and moral approach not legal. But ya it will be interesting to see peoples faces when they realise that there was no legal treaty of annexation of Hawai'i so everything after has been illegal and void. Then the issue will be how to set things right after. I wouldnt want the job in the U.S government after.

But i suspect what will happen, is the ICC will rule that Hawai'i is illegally occupied and needs to be restored. Then trying to enforce it will be difficult because the US is above everyone.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:30 PM

Ive said this before that the US needs to be careful, because yes we are the biggest, strongest but much like the biggest bully in school, he wins against smaller individual kids, intell everyone gets tired of it and works together and kicks the out of him

Old 09-29-2013, 01:42 PM

@OpenD

Your quote:"After the court ruled that the U.S.'s covert war against Nicaragua was in violation of international law (Nicaragua v. United States), the United States withdrew from compulsory jurisdiction in 1986. The United States accepts the court's jurisdiction only on a case-by-case basis. Chapter XIV of the United Nations Charter authorizes the UN Security Council to enforce World Court rulings. However, such enforcement is subject to the veto power of the five permanent members of the Council, which the United States used in the Nicaragua case." IOW, that filing isn't going anywhere, either.

Yup thanks for making our points for us open. This country is above everyone else, morality and what is right is a matter of convenience. +1. But we will have to see.

Now you know why walking down the street in Hawai'i you hear the call "haole go home!" its not your skin color but attitude.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:25 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,820,477 times
Quote:
Yup and when we conquer iraq and we will in time, we will also have some selfrightous selfserving justifiable excuse on how its "the right thing" to take whatever we want.
It sounds like Iraq will soon be the 51st state!
LOL!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Thoughts on David Sai's filings at the ICC and ICJ....

Bottom line, it's all just theater to keep those contributions coming in...
Yep! All you have to do is follow the money. The Republicans and Democrats are doing the same thing David Sai is doing, just using different issues. It's all very sad.

Quote:
Now you know why walking down the street in Hawai'i you hear the call "haole go home!" its not your skin color but attitude.
What he will know is that, THAT person is a racist.

Luckily just like racists of other colors and other parts of the country, they are a small minority and it is slowly getting better with each and every passing day.

Martin Luther King - I Have a Dream on August 28, 1963
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRIF4_WzU1w

Old 09-29-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Yup thanks for making our points for us open. This country is above everyone else, morality and what is right is a matter of convenience. +1. But we will have to see.
What's been missing from this discourse is any sense of proportion. Hawai'i is not Iraq, or Afghanistan, or Syria, or anything even remotely like it, so stop going there. As I recall there wasn't even any bloodshed in the 1893 coup, although somebody died in prison afterwards that was maybe related.

And what's missing from the entire sovereignty movement, in all its fractured pieces, is that by 10 years later Queen L was saying to her confidants and writing in her diary that she had come to realize that Hawai'i being taken over by the US was the best thing that could have happened.

Quote:
Actually, I've never heard that, nor anything like it. Mostly I get big smiles and "Howzit, uncle!" because I'm open and loving and I lead with Aloha, so I get Aloha in return.

And I have enormous respect for Hawiian people and Hawaiian culture, and I'm constantly working to learn more of the language and the history and the music and even the Huna religion.

But now that I've come to know more about this so-called sovereignty movement, and now realize that it is fundamentally racist and divisive, when what we need most as a society is to become more harmonious and inclusive. We need more breath in Hawai'i... more mana, more spirit... not less.

But this thread, as it keeps beating a dead horse, also keeps sucking the breath out of this forum, and I think it is time to close it.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
Quote:

That is how out of touch you are - you'd think all those times I go to the beach in Waimanalo I'd hear that at least once considering how much real estate is Hawaiian Home Lands.

I don't know - perhaps you can find a youtube video proving your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii