Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:05 PM

6 posts, read 89,638 times

Advertisements

I won't post all of my questions, just the more important ones I suppose.

I'm about 90% sure I'll be getting orders for Hickam, reporting by the end of October. I've been looking at houses for rent and it seems the only ones available are in west Oahu. From the research I've been doing that's horrible for those trying to commute to Hickam AFB.

What is the housing situation around Hickam and east Oahu? I'd like to find a decent sized house/condo/duplex (maybe hoping too much for at least 1200 sq ft) at or below $2,000/month.

My wife is doing her own search but she's a special ed teacher so I'm not sure what the availability of jobs for her will be. Should she try for one of the DoDIS or however it's spelled (military schools)? She teaches primarily K-6 special ed.

I've done some searching on transporting animals (I have one 30lb dog and one cat) and am glad to have found the info now. I should have no problem getting all of the things needed to avoid the quarantine but the biggest issue is flying them over. What I'm thinking is driving to L.A. from Omaha, NE and then flying them over from there, reducing the time they'll be in a plane. I don't mind the drive as I have family along the way I can visit.

A lot of the info I've found on this site is in regards to the other bases/forts/stations besides Hickam so I thought I'd post a separate thread. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 03:20 PM

7 posts, read 60,751 times
I just found out that I'm PCS'ing to Hickam too... small AF I guess! I have lots of questions as well... however, I'm single and would like some advice on an area to live (prob a condo/apt) with easy access to go out to eat, hang out/meet people and just socialize basically. I'm stationed in Germany at the moment and live in the city and I really enjoy all the conveniences of walking to a shop, restaurant, pub, etc.

I will be getting to Hawaii in Nov, and would like to buy a condo when I get there. I've found numerous realtors sites with condos that I'm interested in, but not sure about the areas their located. I vacationed in Hawaii back in 2001, and know that Waikiki is a great area, but I have no idea outside that area! I'm sure that over the next few months I will get a sponsor, but I would like to start as early as possible with my research (I guess I'm just excited about the move!)

Sorry for piggy-backing on your post with no answers to your questions, I just thought this would be the best place to post and maybe any answers would help us both out.

Best of luck with your move!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:26 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,198 times
Can't you stay on base?? I know they just re-did military housing all through the state.. nice.....

Old 03-02-2009, 01:47 PM

351 posts, read 685,804 times
I would recommend getting a map of Oahu and determine an area(s) where you might want to live using that as a guide. Hickam is located next to the Airport and Pearl Harbor, bigger close neighborhoods are Aiea, Pearl City, Salt Lake and Waipahu.

Traffic in the mornings and evenings can be a problem. Basically the worst of the traffic is going into downtown Honolulu from both the east and west sides of the island. The commute from the Windward sides - Kailua and Kaneohe areas isn't quite as bad. Depending on your work hours traffic may not be such a big deal, but if you have a 'regular' work day (9-5/8-4) and you live along the traffic zones be prepared for being in a mass of other cars on your commute. If you live in east oahu and work in Hickam during peak traffic hours - you will definitely experience fairly long commute times as you'll be right in the flow going into downtown then you still have a bit of a drive on to Hickam. You can check out the Honolulu Traffic cams at this link:

Honolulu Traffic Central

For housing you will probably want to rent before even thinking of buying. Get a feel for the different areas first. There's a lot of variety packed in there. Salt Lake is primarily condos/buildings (5 stories +), Aiea/Pearl City will offer more houses, as will Kailua/Kaneohe. In all areas though you can find apartment buildings (usually under 5 stories). There's also a lot of rentals condos/apts in the Makakiki/Punchbowl areas which are just outside of town, but I think you'll see a bunch of traffic.
Pets may be a bit of an issue - lots of rentals don't allow pets. Just look around a lot though, as there are some which do. But you are a lot less likely to find a pet friendly condo/apt than a house.

Check out craigslist: hawaii classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events, HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser | Honolulu news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Honolulu, Hawaii and
Hawaii News - Starbulletin.com

There are rentals listed in the classifieds. If you can get short term on base housing I would do that. It will give you time to explore different areas before you decide to sign a one year rental.

You should also just take a look at those local newspapers to get a general feel of Hawaii. You'll be reading what the locals read.
There is an excellent bus system on Oahu and it will take you just about anywhere you want to go, but it's definitely not as convenient as having a vehicle.

That is just a start. I'm living in Alaska now, but was born and raised in Hawaii and lived there for well over 40 years.

Best of luck to you both.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:00 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
Hegothey, congratulations! I hope you receive the orders. I use a couple of web sites to include Craigslist and https://www.ahrn.com/; this website is geared towards the military and those assoicated with the military. It has plenty of rentals listed at various sizes and amounts. Folks are correct about the commute from West Oahu (Ewa, Makakilo and Kapolei) it's quite atrocious and competitive with any large city traffic jam you can find on the mainland. If you can't or don't want to live on base, then use the two sites I mentioned, I think you'll find what you want. Again Congrats!

Old 03-03-2009, 12:43 PM

7 posts, read 60,751 times
bkyhi, thank you for the information... I'm sure the links and your advice will be a great help. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions on here as time goes by. However, I do look forward to getting to Hawaii and being able to return the favor to those that are yet to make the transition.

Enjoy Alaska- I have several friends that live there and they love it!

Thanks again.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 AM

13 posts, read 94,480 times
I would recommend staying on base. Hickam has great housing compared to the army here. I would take the advice bkyhi gave. But be prepared for the areas near Hickam as the rentals will not probably be so updated. You may have a circa 1980's decor. Since the west side (Ewa, Kapolei, Makakilo) is growing, you have newer construction. You get more sq footage for your money too. But the traffic is horrendous. Like bkyhi said, if you work "regular" hours I would not look to the west side.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,006 times
hickam is a pretty nice base!

however alot of our friends who were stationed on hickam tended to rent in either waikele or parts of Ewa...... Sure the traffic is bad....one way in and out really, but honestly it's a great duty station!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
Can't you stay on base?? I know they just re-did military housing all through the state.. nice.....
I've talked to a couple of people at work and they recommended staying on base for at least the first year there. She mentioned how even the homes in the nice areas look good on the outside but are horribly outdated and some are rundown on the inside.

Also, something I found disturbing but a coworker mentioned that in addition to the rent you pay, you also have to pay the taxes on the house. Is this true? I find that very, very highly unlikely but I figure I'd ask anyways.

Sorry I didn't reply to you all sooner, thank you for the responses. I think I will stay on base at least initially. The military housing website is lacking in photos and floorplans but I hope to get some more information from them soon. I also checked out that Automated Housing Referral Network (AHRN.com) v6.0, lots of good listings there as well.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkyhi View Post
I would recommend getting a map of Oahu and determine an area(s) where you might want to live using that as a guide. Hickam is located next to the Airport and Pearl Harbor, bigger close neighborhoods are Aiea, Pearl City, Salt Lake and Waipahu.

Traffic in the mornings and evenings can be a problem. Basically the worst of the traffic is going into downtown Honolulu from both the east and west sides of the island. The commute from the Windward sides - Kailua and Kaneohe areas isn't quite as bad. Depending on your work hours traffic may not be such a big deal, but if you have a 'regular' work day (9-5/8-4) and you live along the traffic zones be prepared for being in a mass of other cars on your commute. If you live in east oahu and work in Hickam during peak traffic hours - you will definitely experience fairly long commute times as you'll be right in the flow going into downtown then you still have a bit of a drive on to Hickam. You can check out the Honolulu Traffic cams at this link:

Honolulu Traffic Central

For housing you will probably want to rent before even thinking of buying. Get a feel for the different areas first. There's a lot of variety packed in there. Salt Lake is primarily condos/buildings (5 stories +), Aiea/Pearl City will offer more houses, as will Kailua/Kaneohe. In all areas though you can find apartment buildings (usually under 5 stories). There's also a lot of rentals condos/apts in the Makakiki/Punchbowl areas which are just outside of town, but I think you'll see a bunch of traffic.
Pets may be a bit of an issue - lots of rentals don't allow pets. Just look around a lot though, as there are some which do. But you are a lot less likely to find a pet friendly condo/apt than a house.

Check out craigslist: hawaii classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events, HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser | Honolulu news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Honolulu, Hawaii and
Hawaii News - Starbulletin.com

There are rentals listed in the classifieds. If you can get short term on base housing I would do that. It will give you time to explore different areas before you decide to sign a one year rental.

You should also just take a look at those local newspapers to get a general feel of Hawaii. You'll be reading what the locals read.
There is an excellent bus system on Oahu and it will take you just about anywhere you want to go, but it's definitely not as convenient as having a vehicle.

That is just a start. I'm living in Alaska now, but was born and raised in Hawaii and lived there for well over 40 years.

Best of luck to you both.
Thank you for the links, they were very helpful. I did end up getting notification that I was going to Hawaii. I was actually surprised at the number of homes that allowed pets. There are very few places here in Nebraska that allow pets, at least dogs.

I'm not 100% but every base I've been to allow pets on their base housing so that's another plus for that. I'm pretty sure my hours will not be normal as the job is similar to one that I've done before and the hours are crazy and change every day. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii