Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 05:27 PM

11 posts, read 28,486 times

Advertisements

i am beginning to have serious thoughts about moving to hawaii. i found an opportunity to live on molokai for very little, but i am wondering about the place. it looks like there isn't very much there. if i did go my situation would be such that it wouldn't be absolutely necessary i find a job right away but i would need one eventually. are there a lot of jobs there for poeple without education? and how costly or time consuming is it to go from island to island? and, well, really ecerything. any info at all about life on this or any other island would be appreciated. thank you for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 09:02 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,750 times
Moloka`i is a beautiful place. That said, it also has the highest unemployment of any of the islands and the least (and -- I believe -- lowest paying) job opportunities. The largest employer left in a huff this past year, locking gates and burning bridges behind.

Moloka`i is a proud, tightly bound community at heart, and prides itself on its ability to get by with near-subsistence level farming, fishing, and hunting and very few outside jobs. It is not the "traditional Hawaiian way," however, like on Ni`ihau. Moloka`i likes its trucks, its cable TV, its high-speed internet and -- in a way -- its privacy. It is known as "the friendly isle," and the people are warm and welcoming as long as you don't come planning to change anything.

The cost and time to travel to other island depends upon where you're going. There's not-every-day ferry service to Lahainatown on Maui (1 1/2 hours each way), and a small airport at Hoolehua where you can fly to Honolulu (about 25 miles), Kahului (Maui), and the other islands. The prices for these flights varies, but it's usually between $100 and $150 round-trip. The last time I took the ferry, it was $40 each way; I assume it's more now. Everything else is.

Best of luck.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:34 PM

11 posts, read 28,486 times
thank you for the informative response. i'm starting to get a little depressed because this is starting to seem like a slightly unrealistic dream, but god the place looks so beautiful i want to be there now.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:07 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,851 times
The other islands are beautiful too! You could work on a different island and just visit Molokai. IMO Kauai is the most beautiful of the four major islands, although I like the Big Island the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii