Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:08 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times

Advertisements

Milk has been hovering around $3.39 a gallon for 2% at the local Kroger's, here in Peoria, Illinois so $5 does not seem too bad at all, considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 04:13 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Milk has been hovering around $3.39 a gallon for 2% at the local Kroger's, here in Peoria, Illinois so $5 does not seem too bad at all, considering.
$4.95/gallon whole milk at my store in the northeast.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:16 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,240 times
What is the cost of organic milk in Hawaii?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:47 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Does anybody know what a gallon of milk costs on the mainland? I never paid attention when I was there.
It's $2.39 a gallon for 2% at my favorite convenience store here in New York.

Bob

Old 03-09-2009, 10:59 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
$4.95/gallon whole milk at my store in the northeast.
Yea, and the best thing about buying milk in Maine at this time of year is that you don't need to refrigerate it, just leave it sitting outside, no, wait a sec, it would more than likely freeze,,,,,,,,,that's why milk in Hawaii is a bit more, you have to refrigerate it,,, cost of electricity and all. I wonder,,,, does the milk come out of the cow pre-chilled in Maine at this time of the year????

aloha and okolemaluna

Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I wonder,,,, does the milk come out of the cow pre-chilled in Maine at this time of the year????

aloha and okolemaluna

No, it comes out very warm and steam is rising off it. I worked on a dairy farm in South Dakota in the 70's and remember it well. I'd rather not remember it.

Bob

Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Default Charles Lindbergh's Grave, Kipahula Maui

Frangi914: To all a FYI….We have been inching our way up Hana Hwy

Suggest you stop at Mile 41 past Hana (Kipahulu) and visit Charles Lindbergh's grave at Palapala Ho'omau Church. It was an adventure finding it.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:13 PM

217 posts, read 640,380 times
i don't know how much i pay for milk - i know as a family of two we never use all ours! if i got to move to your beach i probably would be perfectly willing to give it up. but, i live on an island (yes, in texas, where it is cheap) but i don't like going "over the bridge" so I pay like $6.00 for bacon, and $3.00 for eggs, cokes are cheap - but I'll bet I wouldn't drink so many cokes if they weren't and IF we could drink our water, which we can't even SEE through! So, youl live VERY cheap here and you can also make it cost more, like I seem too! The people paying $10.00 a gallon probably don't want to go over their bridge!
When we went to Hawaii for vacation we marveled over the clear water in the bathtub much less in the pacific compared to freeport, texas and the gulf of mexico. just putting that in the same sentence kind of makes me sick, because it is like the difference between heaven and hell. it's still the beach, and my baby sister can catch a wave all winter long but it's grey here ALL the time. Water, climate, air from the chemical plants And the water is yellow.
Don't know what that second paragraph had to do with the price of milk, but it was what reading you'alls posts made me type, so I'm leaving it there. I certainly hope my future has a post like yours in it!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 AM

150 posts, read 725,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Frangi914: To all a FYI….We have been inching our way up Hana Hwy

Suggest you stop at Mile 41 past Hana (Kipahulu) and visit Charles Lindbergh's grave at Palapala Ho'omau Church. It was an adventure finding it.

Thanks - we plan on stopping as many places as possible and I have heard it's hard to find, so wish us luck!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:05 AM

351 posts, read 686,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Actually, my hubby says he's seen it for about $8.99 or maybe even $9 something. But we don't buy it at that price - it's always available for $4.99 somewhere! Usually at our usual store, Kapaa Safeway. Costco too, but they for some reason don't carry 1%, only skim, 2% and whole. ??? So if we can't get our favorite 1% for $4.99 we get 2% at Costco. Big deal, a little more fat for one gallon. Another weird thing is that whole milk is usually less than 1% or 2%, I guess the lower-fat choices are more popular.

You have to deal with the fact that if you go to Safeway they might be - gasp! - out of gallons of 1%, so maybe you have to come back in a couple of days or buy it at Foodland (next door) for $1 more or get 2% at Costco.

Does anybody know what a gallon of milk costs on the mainland? I never paid attention when I was there.
Here in Barrow Alaska milk IS $10.00 a gallon. Tropicana orange juice is $10.00 for a half gallon. $20.00 for a Gallon. I believe the prices are even higher in some of the remote villages in the bush, if you can even get the stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: