Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,405,865 times

Advertisements

Well, I got a bunch of newly picked mangoes for free, from a friend! <g> so there! Food of the gods, that is the mango.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 02:39 PM

121 posts, read 524,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Well, I got a bunch of newly picked mangoes for free, from a friend! <g> so there! Food of the gods, that is the mango.
Yeah, but you gotta watch out for da kind bug, the fruit fly. Ever see a tree with real ripe mangoes and if you look closely you'll see a dark cloud around a mango? Well, it's da flies! You sure you no went bite into one nice juicy fruit fly egg? That's one reason mangoes are not allowed out of Hawaii. Or why they can't have mango as a farm production crop. The mainland mangoes come from Mexico where there is no fruit fly infestation.
Free is better than paying, I agree. When I was living there for some reason fruit stolen, er, borrowed from someones tree tasted better, no? I remember driving to the pineapple fields near Waipahu and pretending to be one haole tourist looking at the pine, then when there was no car traffic, go scoop a few. Ho da ono! You ever been Kailua side of the Pali where the banana plantation stay? We would go night time, in the rain (it always rained at night) and look for the bunches ready to pick with a flashlight. We'd chop down the tree, grab the bunch and hele on out of there fast. (they had dogs, but they didn't want to come out in the rain. Dumb dogs, lol)
Now I just go to Costco for bananas, mangoes from the Mexican markets, taro from the Asian markets, oranges and lemons from my neighbor, and tangerines and kumquats from my trees.
Eddie

Old 05-16-2009, 12:12 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,405,865 times
Wash mango. Peel. Eat. No flies. No poison either ala South American farms.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:23 PM

737 posts, read 1,463,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Wow, my grandma used to call them "avocado pears" (I can still hear her saying it, in her slightly southern accent). Never heard that from anyone else ever.
My girlfriends grandparents(who are hawaiian) call them "pears" or "alligator pears"! They always have "pear and toast"(avocado mixed with sugar and spread on white toast). We have the most amazing avocados in our back yard. They are huge and buttery and no strings at all. Just about everything is more expensive here. Even the "locally grown or made" products are really expensive. If you shop around and go to local farmers markets and butcher shops and buy fish on the side of the road, you can save some money for sure. Or, just grow your own, hunt and fish!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:01 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,186,051 times
In WA again miss alligator pears - I bought small tiny haas avacodos yesterday for 1.50 each on sale - smaller than my hand (small) and tasted like dirt - oh ya my chili bananas also -pure wood starch... vrs a bunch for $1.50 apple bananas at the market... some times even when things are more expensive on the mainland it really isn't better.....

Old 05-18-2009, 03:24 AM

17 posts, read 121,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by born_again_yesterday View Post
Milk is bad for people anyways. Buy local food.
Milk is the only food whose sole purpose is (or was) to provide nourishment- and that it does (did) very well. But pasteurization has destroyed most of its good qualities. Made even worse by the poor farm conditions, hormones, additives, homogenization, reductions, etc. of indutrialized Dairy. Most everything good about milk is lost and what is left is a shell of a "food". To say that milk is a good source of calcium is almost a joke.

I hear (and read) that raw milk from certified safe dairies was all the rage up until after WWII when the dairy industry industrialized. You can't ship unpasteurized milk long distances because bacteria (good bacteria)would turn it to cheese. But Pasteurized milk will stay for a month before going rancid. Thus the incentive for big business.

And then there was the successful propaganda campaigns to convince the american people that unpasteurized milk will make you sick. Sure, raw milk from the filthy indoor facilities would be sure to make you sick. But people didn't get sick off raw milk of the past, produced by clean grass fed cows, or at least it was very rare. The lactic acid produced by beneficial bacteria actually controls harmful bacteria in the milk. There were sanitation standards and good animal husbandy practices that you followed in order to be a certified dairy. Doesn't make much sense that people would farm animals for millenia for raw dairy that made them sick, does it?

I hope one day we can get back to good ol fashioned clean, grass fed, locally produced, certified safe, raw dairy that gets delivered to your door. I only hear good things about it. And in the meantime, at the very least, please limit your support of cheap out of state dairy, produced by dubious means.

Anyway, sorry for my rant. It's been a topic of interest lately.

Personally I think Hawaii's avocados and mangos, and fruits in general, are very good. I only see fruit fly problems on common wild mangos. All other mangos look fine to me. Local fruits, wherever you are, are usually rippenned on the tree, adding much to their quality. Stringy avocado varieties are basically a thing of the past, except for some remaining trees or junk seed trees.

Enjoy whatever is available locally, whether you are in Cali or Hawaii.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:43 PM

12 posts, read 50,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolai View Post
Milk is the only food whose sole purpose is (or was) to provide nourishment- and that it does (did) very well. But pasteurization has destroyed most of its good qualities. Made even worse by the poor farm conditions, hormones, additives, homogenization, reductions, etc. of indutrialized Dairy. Most everything good about milk is lost and what is left is a shell of a "food". To say that milk is a good source of calcium is almost a joke.

I hear (and read) that raw milk from certified safe dairies was all the rage up until after WWII when the dairy industry industrialized. You can't ship unpasteurized milk long distances because bacteria (good bacteria)would turn it to cheese. But Pasteurized milk will stay for a month before going rancid. Thus the incentive for big business.

And then there was the successful propaganda campaigns to convince the american people that unpasteurized milk will make you sick. Sure, raw milk from the filthy indoor facilities would be sure to make you sick. But people didn't get sick off raw milk of the past, produced by clean grass fed cows, or at least it was very rare. The lactic acid produced by beneficial bacteria actually controls harmful bacteria in the milk. There were sanitation standards and good animal husbandy practices that you followed in order to be a certified dairy. Doesn't make much sense that people would farm animals for millenia for raw dairy that made them sick, does it?

I hope one day we can get back to good ol fashioned clean, grass fed, locally produced, certified safe, raw dairy that gets delivered to your door. I only hear good things about it. And in the meantime, at the very least, please limit your support of cheap out of state dairy, produced by dubious means.

Anyway, sorry for my rant. It's been a topic of interest lately.

Personally I think Hawaii's avocados and mangos, and fruits in general, are very good. I only see fruit fly problems on common wild mangos. All other mangos look fine to me. Local fruits, wherever you are, are usually rippenned on the tree, adding much to their quality. Stringy avocado varieties are basically a thing of the past, except for some remaining trees or junk seed trees.

Enjoy whatever is available locally, whether you are in Cali or Hawaii.
I couldn't agree with you more about the milk thing. The government has so messed up the food industry. When I was a kid, I remember laying down underneath the cow and squirting the milk into my mouth. Man that was good, nice warm milk, direct, no pasteurization, etc. etc.

Where I live, milk is $9 a gallon. I don't buy it here. I drive to Kahului 2 x per month to purchase the absolute essentials from store. We eat what is ripe at each time of year. Pear (avocados) are pretty much year round. Most areas have at least one "winter pear" tree. Kula grows the greatest strawberries. We have banana, papaya, avocado, guava, strawberry guava, lilikoi, grapefruit, palmalo, oranges, lemon, lime, pineapple, mountain apple, star apple, star fruit, lychee, sweetsop, soursop, pomegranite, kumquat, coffee and all of these things in many varieties. Sure, some are seasonal, but there is always a huge variety of fruits available at very reasonable prices - just not at the grocery store. I guess it depends on where you live to. Some islands are much more prolific than others. There are so many organic vegatable farms also, growing everything from corn on the cob to sweet peas, asparagus to every imaginable variety of lettuce, all year around. There is no reason for any one to pay hi prices for any of these items. You just have to get off the programmed wheel of Safeway and Walmart and support the local farmers. It is amazing what is out there if you just open up to other possibilities. It is not such a rat race shopping at a farmers market or a roadside stand as it is at your regular grocery store either. And the food is fresh and local and the taste is amazing. Growing your own lettuce and stuff is really easy to. You can grow it in pots on your balcony or on a window sill with very little effort. We must wake up, where ever we live and start fending for ourselves and take back control of our lives. Sound radical? I don't know, it just seems logical to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii