Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:07 PM

184 posts, read 658,501 times

Advertisements

My son was going to Oahu to visit his girlfriend (they're both 18) and I came to this site, among others, to gather info, since he (typical teen) did almost NO research! I kept hearing about racial tensions and a thing called the "stink-eye", which sounded totally absurd!

He went (for the month of Dec.) and returned, ecstatic, saying how beautiful the island was. I'm sure at least SOME of it had to do with his girlfriend's proximity !

BTW, his girlfriend is 1st gen. Filipina. My son is white.

Anyway, several times, in public, she would tell him he was "getting the Stink-eye". He had no clue about this (he's rather spacey). Then she actually DEMONSTRATED it for him and he still didn't see it. Is he REALLY out of it or is she overly sensitive...or both?

She's coming to our "neck 'o the woods" (W. Mass), in a week, where racial diversity is well, so ho-hum, it's rarely discussed. Will SHE be freaked out be NOT getting anything like the dreaded "Stink-eye"???! Weird...!

Old 03-11-2009, 03:43 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,659 times
Stinkeye is just a dirty look, probably from an ex- boyfriend..

Old 03-11-2009, 05:47 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
See? That's "stink-eye" right there. Kinda stare at someone or give someone a dirty look. Most times folks are pretty subtle around here, so he probably did miss it entirely.

Hope his girlfriend doesn't freeze to death while she's visiting!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:01 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
I think the stink eye came from the Nickelodeon cartoon Rocket Power. That is the only time I have ever heard that term.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:15 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,030 times
Pirate-
The term stink eye has been around since my father was a boy (and probably long before that!). He was born in 1941 so the term definitely pre-dates Nickelodeon.

It is actually quite an art form- and is not restricted to haoles. When used properly it can convey volumes without saying a word!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:52 PM

96 posts, read 619,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I think the stink eye came from the Nickelodeon cartoon Rocket Power. That is the only time I have ever heard that term.
it is actual part of our creole language known simply as pidgin. it combines various words and phrases from chinese, japanese, hawaiian etc. it was developed closer to a hundred years ago by those working on sugar cane plantation. sorry but we dont derive 'stink eye' from some nickelodeon cartoon. it is used regualarly by locals in hawaii
above posters have given an accurate enough description so i wont delve anymore on that. just want to point out that we have a unique language in hawaii that is steeped in history and culture not some child's tv show

Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM

269 posts, read 783,762 times
stink-eye - Giving someone a look like they smell horrendously bad.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:45 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Da picture above is not "stink eye", it's actually "lolo eye". Stink eye, or hauna maka, is a look of disgust, disbelief, disapproval, dislike, dis or dat, an dis not to be confused wit da kine "aka'la maka", or, "pink eye", an illness often transmitted from one person ta da oddah tru da kine, ( I mean da kine kine) contact. Now, if you is one Kane, as in guy, an you get da aka'la maka, as in pink eye, an you nevah wen catch em from your da kine SW, as in significant wahine, den you can xpec plenny hauna maka, as in stink eye, from her, cause she stay all peed off at you already..... Now, if you stay givin da kine maka, as in looks, at another wahine wen you stay shoppin wit your SW at da store, you can maybe xpec a little e'le maka wen you get home. E'le maka, is of course, da kine black eye, da one she wen punch you in. Hope dis makes evryting all moaka'ka, as in clear.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 03-14-2009, 05:21 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Da picture above is not "stink eye", it's actually "lolo eye".
Looks more like constipation to me. Now I get it.

Bob

Old 03-15-2009, 04:02 PM

121 posts, read 524,383 times
I'm not sure but here in the left coast I've heard the term "look down" or "stare down" usually by someone who's looking for a fight or confrontation of some kind. The times I've heard it is on cop shows where the officer is telling the audience that the subject was "stared down" by the suspect. Usually the person that was stared down ends up being the victim. In HI I remember, "aye, wat you looking at bro?" If you get this from one moke, walk away. If you respond, "I'm looking at your wife's/girlfriend's big chest." Then prepare to get your ass whooped.
Eddie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii