Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:03 AM

96 posts, read 620,200 times

Advertisements

so I figured this would be fun for locals and visitors alike to tell where they like to getaway or visit on the islands. looking for say a beach or place rather than just an island, but you can say which island it's on for those who might not know.
This might also be helpful to those wanting to visit our beautiful islands and are looking for places to explore that might not be in a tour book.

anyways one of my favorite places is Waipio Valley on the Big Island. I don't mean just to the look out but to actually drive down in my uncle or cousins truck and play in the water or visit with the wild horses. Now first off if you don't know or have never driven down before don't do it. It is very very dangerous, requires a 4x4 and skill. it is steep and very narrow, many cars have gone off the edge and are still seen in trees etc bellow. but if you can get a ride with someone down or are crazy i mean fit enough to walk down go for it. or better yet do a horseback ride on the rim of the valley or even just go to the lookout. it is an amazing view. i just love the serenity of it, especially since it isn't near the resorts haha and i mean its just something i would do growing up with family so it has memories etc. ok next person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 12:38 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,406,877 times
I love Waipio Valley, too. But my favorite "oh my gawd" place, that I show every visitor, is Pololu. If your hair doesn't stand on end looking at that valley and beach, something's wrong. We had been here a few days and just driving around ended up ....... hmm the road ends. What's up there? Well, people are parked so must be something. So, we parked. I walked on up beyond the last car still having no clue what I was going to see. The wind hit me in the face, I looked over the edge at that beach, and up the valley and I swear the world stood still for a moment. I turned around to my husband and said "this is it. i'm here." Meaning, yes take that job I'll start packing! Have never regretted that decision.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:44 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Hawi is scenic, we go there when we feel the need for scenery. We go to Auntie's Place up there when we feel the need for wiener schnitzels, too.

We go holoholo on the old road or go visit friends a lot when we want to go somewhere. Dunno how well that would work for tourists but our friends probably wouldn't mind extra faces appearing at their door. There isn't much formal entertainment around here so we have to make our own.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:34 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
Waipio Valley was made for rental SUV's.... Don't ask...

Old 04-07-2009, 04:23 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,461,111 times
Ala Moana, Waikele, Pearlridge...

Old 04-08-2009, 01:12 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,307,014 times
A stop at the general store in Puako to pack a small cooler and then an afternoon at any one of the Kohala coast beaches (though I especially like the ones that take a few minutes to hike to) is as good as it gets for a day trip on the Big Island!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:12 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaHawaii View Post
so I figured this would be fun for locals and visitors alike to tell where they like to getaway or visit on the islands. looking for say a beach or place rather than just an island, but you can say which island it's on for those who might not know.
This might also be helpful to those wanting to visit our beautiful islands and are looking for places to explore that might not be in a tour book.
Three:

Kailua Beach on Oahu, at the Lanikai end, in my car under the trees, watching the kite surfers zip back and forth on a sunny day with moderate trades, favorite beverage in hand.

The Princeville hotel (soon to be St. Regis) on Kauai, on the Living Room lanai, looking out at Bali Hai.

On the back deck of my house on the Princeville Golf Course, looking out on the #1 fairway of the Ocean Nine.

Hank

Old 04-09-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Waipio Valley was made for rental SUV's.... Don't ask...
I heard one went into the valley, got stuck trying to cross the ford area and had to be towed out to the tune of $1,500 for the tow, not to mention the damage to the vehicle for drowning it. This was two weekends ago.

Personally, I don't think anyone should go up and down that road unless they are walking or on a mule. Folks in rental cars, even rental 4WDs, should not go on it. Too many people die there and tourists probably wouldn't know the extent of the danger until it is too late. Folks that live here should already know about the danger and if they are willing to chance it, that's up to them but many times tourists are used to safer roads and just assume because a road is there it is somewhat safe. Then they get into trouble, then we have to rescue them.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
A stop at the general store in Puako to pack a small cooler and then an afternoon at any one of the Kohala coast beaches (though I especially like the ones that take a few minutes to hike to) is as good as it gets for a day trip on the Big Island!
Hey, and the fishing isn't too bad, either! Good choice! Too bad they paved up to 69's so it's way more crowded these days.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
Ala Moana, Waikele, Pearlridge...
No shopping the fancy stores in Waikiki?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii