Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 06:30 PM

20 posts, read 96,235 times

Advertisements

Wow, 2 new Targets opened on Oahu.

Target announces new store openings - Pacific Business News (Honolulu):

My wife will now let us move to Oahu. Target is paradise to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:36 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Target is no good when you live in small apartments. "Stuff" becomes clutter really quickly. Living simply is easier than cleaning house all the time.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,570 times
What is all the hype about Target? I have never found that it had anything I couldn't get elsewhere, it seemed like they carried the same stuff as Walmart, just different brands.

(AND in Oahu, why 2???)

I live way out on the Olympic Peninsula and loved the fact that when we moved out here, there were NO malls, big box stores, railroads or major freeways. The town next to us was more rural, (a small farm town next to the water), until retirees started flocking there. Now, the old main road is now a major thoroughfare of Costco, HD, Petco-you name it, and all I hear is "I wish they would get us a Target". WHY????? The town has lost it's charm, much like Hawaii when probably all the military wives complained loud enough!!

Peoples- you CAN shop at smaller stores, AND get better things, not junk from China!

Bix box stores really have caused a bad impact in all of our small towns.

I love Hawaii, and would like to see more Kama'aina stores.

Hotcatz IS right, way too much stuff!

Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Target carries a lot of things that Walmart and Kmart don't carry. Different brands, different styles, etc. Lots of cute stuff, some people like cute stuff. (just a little bit of cute stuff, I promise)

Old 04-15-2009, 01:44 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times
For a few years they were the only place that carried the kind of underwear my son likes (knit boxers). Now you can get them anywhere. (OK, now when he runs for president in 25 years someone will look this up... but will he still be wearing them? Who knows... maybe he'll switch to briefs.)

Choice is nice. You don't have to buy a LOT of cheap crap to enjoy having more options when you DO need some little piece of cheap crap, you know? And most people - especially people with kids - need it at least once in a while. Not to mention that the more local, 'specialty' stores are NEVER open at 8:43 p.m. on Sunday night when it has just been revealed (in a teary bedtime meltdown) that a medieval city MUST be created (out of cheap crap) before 8 a.m. the next morning, or SOMEONE will fail social studies and be the laughingstock of the whole school and ruin their (drum roll) permanent record!!!

I found (when I was living in NY, where we had a Target) that Target sometimes has a slightly higher grade of cheap crap than the Wall or the K. (For when your medieval city must last for more than the 20 minutes it takes to drive to school...)

Night all, I'm getting punchy. But seriously, if Target never comes to Kauai, it'll be OK with me. On the other hand, if it replaces the mostly-useless KMart, that would be an all-around win (no MORE big boxes, but better cheap crap!).

Old 04-15-2009, 04:26 AM

20 posts, read 96,235 times
Target is perfect for nesting on the cheap. It's cheaper than the mall, but better quality than Walmart. They have great knock-offs of stuff from higher end stores such as Pottery Barn.

My wife buy half her clothes at Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: