Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 11:30 AM

5 posts, read 97,580 times

Advertisements

I am looking to go to HI the end of June through the first week in August and am still stuck on where I should be looking at rentals island/city wise.

I am going to be incorporating some of this into an independent study for college (amphibian biology) and my boyfriend is going to look for a restaurant job with the intention of staying in HI if he finds one.

Since this will also be partly a vacation I would love to be by some of the beaches that are not overrun tourist places. And of course surfing is a big plus.

So I am looking for these things

Month to month rental - $800/month (studio +)

Best opportunity for a restaurant job

Opinion on the University(s) biology courses

quiet(er) beach

Wilderness

Suggestions on which island and area would be so helpful and any ideas on a rental would be fantastic.

Both of us are looking for something laid back and although we won't object to the busy city life (which we have now) HI appeals to us for the simplicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 01:06 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,591,440 times
Aloha

To help you a little bit you will need to give us some more info on what you like. You can surf on all the islands but its not great on the big island. there is quiet aka secluded beaches on all the islands you just need to drive and or hike to them I found a great beach on the big island last year was a hike when we got there we were alone for most of the day it was the best beach day for us in a long time. As to your budget you will need to look real hard to find something that low in price but its getting better with the eco.

good luck on your trip can i carry your bags? oops did I say that out loud?

Old 05-16-2009, 01:10 PM

18,422 posts, read 19,036,217 times
craigs list, all the islands have newspapers on line, check them out. oahu would have the most jobs, then probably maui, kauai is smaller and big island is really big so the commute could be long depending where you live. I thin schooling would be oahu too

Old 05-16-2009, 01:25 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,181 times
Well, university courses and restaurant work both point to Oahu, and Honolulu in particular. Jobs are scarce everywhere now, but there's more here than the other islands.

However, Honolulu is pretty much a city. If you're looking to get away from city living, that might not appeal to you. You can get to secluded beaches and wilderness pretty easily if you have a car, or even just a scooter. But there is traffic and noise and big buildings.

The only 4-year university that's not on Oahu is in Hilo on the Big Island. It's definitely more small-town (or even rural, depending on where you go) living on the BI. But finding work might be harder. Also, my impression from a visit is that surfing is not nearly as big on the BI as here (Oahu). Maybe folks who live there can confirm or deny? The BI doesn't have (many of) the white sand beaches that appear on Hawaii postcards. They have beautiful rocky & black sand beaches (and even one with green sand!), but those may not be what you're looking for.

As for rent, that's on the low side for Honolulu, though it's a renter's market now so you might be in luck. We were paying $2000 for a 2 bedroom, but I know that they're asking a lot less for it now and still having trouble renting it out. So this might be a good time to try if you've got some money saved. I'm sure you could get a decent place for $800 around Hilo, though.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the responses so far! We are pretty aware that it will end up being around Honolulu or Maui due to the job aspect and if I stay I will be transferring to the uni.

I have heard many people comment that the residents maintain 2 jobs, is this due to cost of living and pay not being very equal/consistent? We are both in the restaurant industry (he is a cook and I bartend/server) and are hoping that it will be enough with one job.

I have heard of people getting a 7 day pass for planes taking them to and from different islands but have not found a price tag on that option for visiting the different islands. Does anyone have an idea or know of packages like this?

My independent study is going to be taking me out into the forests looking for local amphibians and wildlife to document and I just may be camping out and wandering for a few days/week. I would love to find the best forests and areas to hit that are on the islands, BI being one of the places I am going to go but are there other suggestions? Any places I should stay away from or look out for?

I really want to stay away from any vacation rentals as they are extremely expensive and do not offer long term possibilities for staying. I will definitely look at any online newspaper ads and if you have any specific papers to look for I would love to know

I am looking for any information on the Biology dept in the Uni as well and have not found anything yet so if you happen to have a link or two that would be appreciated as well

Thanks again for the responses.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:42 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,516,812 times
Since you are up to the possibility that it may only be for a few months, why limit yourself to one island?

Rent a turn-key vacation rental for 4-6 weeks on one island and then move to another island if you want to experience a different island. That will let you immerse yourself into each island, see what they have to offer, etc. You also will not be burdened by needing to find furniture, household items, etc.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:49 PM

Just wanted to make a brief update. I spent a couple months in Maui this past summer and it was amazing! I found a room to rent from a homeowner for a flat rate of $500/month which included everything and there was 2 of us so this was a fantastic find. Proof that craigslist really does work if you know how to filter the scams out.

I stayed in Kihei and loved it. Beaches were in walking distance and I had the bus schedule memorized in a couple days. Not a lot of night life when it comes to the bar scene. Most amazing days were traveling through Hana and the forests, lots of hiking. The west side of the island was by far my favorite and if I go back I would want to look into staying there. Paia was a great place to go as well. The shops are entertaining and the waves are better.

The locals were incredibly generous and friendly and showed us around as well as the tips for the best places to shop and save $$. And the lifestyle was so relaxed I could not have asked for a better place to spend a couple months of my summer. I will definitely go back to Maui.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 AM

432 posts, read 1,203,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
...Also, my impression from a visit is that surfing is not nearly as big on the BI as here (Oahu). Maybe folks who live there can confirm or deny?
Actually, there is quite a bit of surfing on the east side of the Big Island. The three main spots in/near Hilo are Honoli`i (north side of Hilo), Hilo Bay (mostly in winter when the waves are up; but the water quality is nasty), and a third one that is mostly known to locals and which I don't want to put on a public board
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii