Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times

Advertisements

The WWOOFing thing is generally best for folks looking for "work" and "minimalist". They give you shelter and that term can encompass a LOT of different sorts of things - from a tarp or tent on up to a room in their house although it is generally somewhere in between. Frequently it seems there is some sort of small cabin to stay in. The "board" can be anything from a raw meal made from whatever is growing in the garden to eating with the hosts. Generally, there will be several hours of some sort of agricultural farm/garden/orchard/livestock type of work each day in exchange for the sleeping spot and generally at least one minimal meal a day. It is different for each host, depending on what accommodations they have and the work they want done. It generally isn't luxury living, but some of them are quite nice, others not so nice. It does give folks a way to see Hawaii without having to spend a lot of money for somewhere to stay. It is also a good way to learn tropical agriculture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:40 AM

4 posts, read 6,298 times
Default I like this kind of attitude from Koale Koni

Only thing you have to lose is time if things don't work out for you. But things will work out if you 1) give it time, 2) be honest with yourself and those you meet, 3) work hard and look for chances to advance, 4) do you best to own, NOT rent, and 5) share your good fortune with others; it will come back to reward you many times over. Oh, and 6) ENJOY PARADISE and be good to the wonderful Hawaiian people.
Hi to Kix!
Aloha jt

Old 08-11-2009, 09:04 AM

4 posts, read 6,298 times
Hotzcatz, can you give any specific hosts, their names or their addresses for the guys and gals who may want to take a trip over there in the near future? Is there a 'Message Board' for those looking for WWOOFing opportunities?
We found a great place to start by staying a few nights in the Youth Hostel near the UofH on Oahu. I believe there is at least one hostel on the Big Island, too, somewhere near the Hilo Campus of the UofH. There you'll find people like yourself who are either out for adventure and game for anything, or serious folks who are looking to make Hawaii their home one day. It beats the expensive hotel trip, that's for sure.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Welcome to WWOOF Hawaii! | WWOOF Hawaii
meandering travels: March 2005
Ashley and Joel's WWOOF Hawaii Maui Adventure

The first link is to the WWOOF site, you can find it by searching "WWOOF and Hawaii" in most internet browsers. The other two links are to some folks who wwoofed in Hawaii. Wwoofing seems quite variable, depending on which farm or who the hosts are.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,069 times
Hi again...Can anyone tell us about Railroad Ave in HPP. We have heard it's a good place to locate, and we've also heard it's not a good place to locate. It seems there's a split decision as to Railroad Avenue's warmpth and charm. Some say the neighbors are wonderful while others say not so. We've found a cute and affordable 1 acre, but if the neighbors are hostile to newcomers and we end up with 'tires' thrown into our yard (and other stuff), we would just as soon find another location in HPP. Let us know what you think if you're familar with that area please. Thanks, and Aloha to all!

Old 11-13-2009, 03:46 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
First you are crazy to buy anything in Hawaii without looking at it in person.

Railroad can be good if you like the area. You can have lots of roosters, pit bulls next store or it can be quiet. I doubt anyone would throw tires in your yard unless your an ass.

I have looked at many places in most Puna sub divisions. HPP is nice if you like it - I personally don't like it. That is just me and my energy through. You really have to be there to see if it is for you and who your neighbors are. Personally chickens don't mind me but do they you? Who knows.

To the OP if you go with the right frame of mind and realize you are on an island far far away and want to do it! Go for it. WWOF I agree is a good start with todays climate for employment. REgret is a bad thing and don't waste many years doing the right thing as I did. Luckily I learned by to start going for it you are young and have a whole life time ahead of you. Just make sure you don't feel stuck by not being able to leave if you want. Save up for a round trip if you can.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:33 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmccurry View Post
Hi again...Can anyone tell us about Railroad Ave in HPP. We have heard it's a good place to locate, and we've also heard it's not a good place to locate. It seems there's a split decision as to Railroad Avenue's warmpth and charm. Some say the neighbors are wonderful while others say not so. We've found a cute and affordable 1 acre, but if the neighbors are hostile to newcomers and we end up with 'tires' thrown into our yard (and other stuff), we would just as soon find another location in HPP. Let us know what you think if you're familar with that area please. Thanks, and Aloha to all!
I'm confused. Some people told you it was good. Others told you it was bad. That covers both ends. What more can someone tell you? You got both sides of the coin.

If someone say it is good, does that mean the bad isn't true? And if others say it is bad, does that mean there is no good to be found? But maybe people think its bad because someone has a pink mailbox, or could it be people think its good because of that pink mailbox?

What is good to you may not be good to someone else. What is bad for you may be fully O.K. with someone else so they say all is good based on their personal feelings and it turns out to be horrible for you.

You will hear this over and over again, get on a plane, scope out the area in person, and make the decission on what is right for you based on your personal feelings, not what someone else may think. (I bet Opra would think that area is low class, but the homeless guy in the dumpster will think it's a luxuary paradise - and everyone in between with have comments everywhere in between)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii