Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 07:06 PM

156 posts, read 805,572 times

Advertisements

Ship loses 6 containers in storm

A Horizon Lines vessel battered by heavy seas on its way to Guam lost six containers overboard and arrived in Honolulu Harbor Monday with a dozen containers tipped over on the deck and several hanging precariously over the side.
The Horizon Hunter encountered what the company described as “a massive Pacific storm” lasting more than three days on its way from Los Angeles to Guam.
It included sailing through 25-foot seas with 30-foot swells and sustained winds of 50 mph, the company said. Six containers tumbled into the sea 1,200 miles east of Hawaii.
No crew members were hurt and the ship’s hull wasn’t damaged, Horizon said, but several containers stowed above deck “sustained varying degrees of damage.”
Horizon said it is working with Hawaii Stevedores, the U.S. Coast Guard and state authorities to right the toppled containers and take measures to limit potential cargo leaks or spills.

Ship loses 6 containers in storm - Pacific Business News (Honolulu):
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Darn, and I have stock in that company.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Ship happens.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:41 PM

138 posts, read 355,028 times
I hope my Faberge eggs are ok?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
I hope my Faberge eggs are ok?
They are fine - at the bottom of the Pacific.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 PM

109 posts, read 409,984 times
I saw this in the local paper the other day. I made me REALLY think about what I would be packing up and taking to Hawaii. Since we will be down sizing in square footage while renting while stationed at Hickam, I've decided to weed out the house. We will be taking only the things that we REALLY need and letting the gov. store the rest on the mainland. I would hate to be notified that my household goods are at the bottom of the ocean.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Generally, though, the containers float around for awhile being a hazard, then somehow a lot of the stuff in them washes up ashore in pieces. There was a bunch of cars which fell overboard during a storm or something off the windward coast of the Big Island a few years ago. Steering wheels and such were washing ashore for ages.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:29 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
A very funny thread. Unless you're one of those people whose stuff is afloat. Or you live on one of the beaches it washes up on. But here's my question: is it really possible to get decent shipping insurance, or is it like postal insurance, where you buy the coverage, but when your stuff goes missing or gets damaged, the insurer refuses to replace or pay?

I am a big fan of the USPS as a shipper, but the contractor who provides their insurance coverage does not provide very good service. They're always happy to take your money, but I've never heard a postal insurance claim story with a happy ending. (You're invited to share, if you have one.)

I wondered if anyone here has shipping insurance experience, and would offer up names of vendors they had good service from?

Mahalo in advance.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
If you are moving to Hawaii from your home to a new home, you can check with the home owner insurance you have now. Many will cover the items in the move untill you claim them on the other end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii