Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:41 PM

3 posts, read 11,648 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are moving to Molokai by the end of the year and we are wondering what attitudes are held by the majority of residents there pertaining to homosexuality and haoles. My girlfriend is haole (I am hapa EVERYTHING and can pass for anything) and is rather concerned about being discriminated against -- as am I -- for her and us as a lesbian couple. Masculine energy also seeps from her which could also be an issue (I am very feminine.. Again, lucky me)!

I am also wondering the following:

1. What are the road conditions like and would it be feasible to cycle around the towns?

2. Are there any areas in the towns that should be avoided (for any reason)?

3. Where can I find house rentals aside from craigslist?

Thanks for reading this post and any input you may have! Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 PM

229 posts, read 929,620 times
Have you been to Moloka'i? Don't make a permanent move until you know it's for you. Visit first.

I can't speak to how people will treat you, but I can say that you won't be alone. I know of two other couples who are here, one of which has been on Moloka'i a long time. I'm sure there are more.

Do you have work lined up? Jobs are pretty scarce here, and you don't want to be taking jobs from the locals. That'll get you stinkeye faster than anything else.

Long-term rentals. Google "real estate Molokai" and contact the realtors you find. Most of the realtors I know of also have rental properties, or manage vacation rental condos that might be available long term.

Places to avoid: Moloka'i is a pretty small place. The biggest town has one main street, a post office and a few shops. Just give people their space until they get used to seeing you around.

Biking: 1. You will almost always share the road with fast traffic. The closer you get to Kaunakakai, the wider the shoulders are. There are lots of people who ride bikes, though, so just keep your wits about you. Not everyone knows what the rules of the road are when it comes to bikes.
2. Tradewinds are brisk.
3. Rolling hills, long climbs.

What you see on the map as "towns" are almost always residential settlements. Most of the services are in either Kaunakakai or Ho'olehua.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,517,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sunflowers View Post
My girlfriend and I are moving to Molokai by the end of the year and we are wondering what attitudes are held by the majority of residents there pertaining to homosexuality and haoles. My girlfriend is haole (I am hapa EVERYTHING and can pass for anything) and is rather concerned about being discriminated against -- as am I -- for her and us as a lesbian couple. Masculine energy also seeps from her which could also be an issue (I am very feminine.. Again, lucky me)!

I am also wondering the following:

1. What are the road conditions like and would it be feasible to cycle around the towns?

2. Are there any areas in the towns that should be avoided (for any reason)?

3. Where can I find house rentals aside from craigslist?

Thanks for reading this post and any input you may have! Mahalo!
1. Why would you move somewhere in which you obviously know nothing about the local conditions?

2. Towns? Molokai? Small villages, perhaps.

3. craigslist Hawaii is full of housing scams.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,448,096 times
Why would you want to move to Molokai?

Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Why would you want to move to Molokai?
I was thinking the same thing...seems disrespectful.

Of all the places in the world, the one Hawaiian island that is for the Hawaiians is randomly chosen?

(Not that they are lesbian, but mostly because obviously not Hawaiians with no attachment to the place or the people that are there trying to keep one place Hawaiian).

Old 09-08-2010, 11:52 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I was thinking the same thing...seems disrespectful.

Of all the places in the world, the one Hawaiian island that is for the Hawaiians is randomly chosen?
Are you thinking of Niihau? Molokai is just rural and sparsely populated since itʻs mostly farming land, but there are still non-hawaiians living there. but Niihau is strictly for native Hawaiians only.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:29 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Are you thinking of Niihau? Molokai is just rural and sparsely populated since itʻs mostly farming land, but there are still non-hawaiians living there. but Niihau is strictly for native Hawaiians only.
Oh sorry, yes I was thinking of Niihau.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:33 AM

351 posts, read 587,584 times
Default I don't think you'll have any problems

[quote=2Sunflowers;15809309]My girlfriend and I are moving to Molokai by the end of the year and we are wondering what attitudes are held by the majority of residents there pertaining to homosexuality and haoles. My girlfriend is haole (I am hapa EVERYTHING and can pass for anything) and is rather concerned about being discriminated against -- as am I -- for her and us as a lesbian couple. Masculine energy also seeps from her which could also be an issue (I am very feminine.. Again, lucky me)!

Molokai is known as the most Hawaiian Island. (except for Niihau of course) Homosexuality had no stigma attached to it in ancient Hawaii, so I don't think you'll have any problems with that.

In the creole language used in Hawaii and known as pidgin english, masculine lesbians are referred to as "butchies". This is not considered a derogatory term, and it's common to hear someone in Hawaii say for example, "My cousin Alice is a butchie." This is said as a matter of fact, and not with malice.

This is a interesting link about mahus on Molokai. (BTW even though a lot of people in Hawaii refer to gays as mahu, that's not correct as mahu really means transvestite.)Summer 2004 | Secret Hawaii | Features | OutTraveler.com

I've visited Molokai several times, but someone else who is more knowledgable has to tell you about the road conditions, etc..

Last edited by Honolulu21; 09-09-2010 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: forgot )

Old 09-09-2010, 12:40 AM

229 posts, read 929,620 times
People are often drawn to Moloka'i because real estate is more available and costs less than on the other islands. What they're not always prepared for is the rural, agricultural, subsistence lifestyle of the local people and their staunch resistance (hostility) to what outsiders want--development and all that goes with it.

Quote:
Molokai is known as the most Hawaiian Island. (except for Niihau of course) Homosexuality had no stigma attached to it in ancient Hawaii, so I don't think you'll have any problems with that.
I wouldn't count on what was true in ancient Hawaii being true today. What I have seen is that if you mind your own business, people will pretty much leave you alone. That doesn't mean acceptance. Moloka'i is full of small-town attitudes.

Last edited by lauleahere&there; 09-09-2010 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: response to cross-post

Old 09-09-2010, 12:31 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,756,629 times
Please visit first. It may not be for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii