Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 01:12 AM

9 posts, read 60,498 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Honolulu this summer to attend the University of Hawaii at Manoa. I'm excited because I've heard this school is one of the best in the world in terms of marine biology; and i hope to be a marine biologist majoring in shark biology. I understand that Blacktip and Tiger sharks and other species are abundant around the islands, but just how abundant? Any surfers or fisherman who have seen shark frequently? I'm a scuba diver and hope to dive with some of these animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 01:47 AM

227 posts, read 921,078 times
I have snorkeled about 20 times in Kauai and seen black tips at Tunnels. Told there are a lot of Tigers on the north shore as well there is a point near Kilauea Light house they like to be when the Albatros's take off and land in the water they are there waiting for an easy meal. And a few times they cleared the water in Hanalei bay because they came in following boats during the summer months.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:57 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
There are loads of hammerheads in Keehi Lagoon. I've seen a few sharks here and there, generally I try really hard to avoid them. There was someone trying to start up some sort of a shark feeding tour or some such thing awhile back, the legislation made that sort of thing illegal. I don't believe Hawaii wants to be associated with shark tours so you will be able to study natural sharks that (hopefully) haven't been trained to follow tour boats.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:25 PM

9 posts, read 60,498 times
thanks!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 PM

155 posts, read 517,276 times
I did the shark snorkle on North Shore Oahu last year although now I think it's pau. It was so fascinating to see them up close and I only felt a small niggle of concern before I got in the water but once in, I was captivated. It was awesome and I'm glad I did it.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,238 times
Derk,
I graduated from UH and I had some friends in the Marine bio dept. IIRC, there is an island called Coconut Island that is owned by the university and it is restricted to those conducting research. My friend commented that given the lack of tourists, people in that water, etc. there was an abundance of fish, corals, etc. and that she saw small sharks as well.
Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii