Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 AM

155 posts, read 545,519 times

Advertisements

Lisa From Maui wrote: If you don't live here, you don't understand. Everything costs more living in Hawai'i. Things you never expected... bills will hit you, from out of nowhere.

Mogon wrote: These sentences ought to be a flashing sticky at the top of this forum!

Dear Mogon & Everyone: I started a new thread. Care to comment? Let's see where this thread goes. -- Lisa ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 10:52 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,041,712 times
Not only do things cost more but the selection of products is nothing like back on the mainland, at least here on Kauai.

Also don't forget the adage "that if you see something you like buy it, because it'll be out of stock tomorrow".

Old 12-11-2009, 01:09 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,088,002 times
Generally they claim things cost more because of shipping, but if they are shipping a container load, I suspect that's not true. Even things which don't need to be shipped such as pineapples, coconuts, avocados and oranges cost either the same or more than their mainland counterparts.

We generally just try to not buy things. Grow or produce whatever we can so we don't have to spend money buying things. Just generally doing without is one of the key things to affording to live here.

The General Excise tax of 4% adds a little nasty bite out of EVERYTHING you buy. Food, medicine, services, everything. If it is tourist related, then there are extra taxes put on top of it, too.

I think one of the biggest bill surprises folks get is their electric bill. The rates here are pretty high and folks just don't think about plugging things in the first month or two while they are here. We had a new neighbor move in a year or so ago, he bought the house to flip it and got caught in the declining house prices. He did everything like he was used to on the mainland and his first electric bill (for one person living in the house) was over $400. He turned off everything, including the water heater to get the bill below $100 a month. He found renters for the house and went back to the mainland.

He was always looking for something we didn't have, too. Particular fast food chains and stores. Most of the islands other than Oahu are mostly known for what they don't have.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:49 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,041,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Generally they claim things cost more because of shipping, but if they are shipping a container load, I suspect that's not true. Even things which don't need to be shipped such as pineapples, coconuts, avocados and oranges cost either the same or more than their mainland counterparts.

We generally just try to not buy things. Grow or produce whatever we can so we don't have to spend money buying things. Just generally doing without is one of the key things to affording to live here.

The General Excise tax of 4% adds a little nasty bite out of EVERYTHING you buy. Food, medicine, services, everything. If it is tourist related, then there are extra taxes put on top of it, too.

I think one of the biggest bill surprises folks get is their electric bill. The rates here are pretty high and folks just don't think about plugging things in the first month or two while they are here. We had a new neighbor move in a year or so ago, he bought the house to flip it and got caught in the declining house prices. He did everything like he was used to on the mainland and his first electric bill (for one person living in the house) was over $400. He turned off everything, including the water heater to get the bill below $100 a month. He found renters for the house and went back to the mainland.

He was always looking for something we didn't have, too. Particular fast food chains and stores. Most of the islands other than Oahu are mostly known for what they don't have.
Be careful what you say or Mr. Speak-no-evil-of Hawaii will be down on ya, lol.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:03 PM

369 posts, read 778,417 times
A 30 pack of Bud Light costs $21 w/out the bottling fee in Hawaii...I've seen a 30 pack of Bud Light in Santa Cruz going for $12 w/out the bottling fee. Beer is not a high priority in life, but yeah alcohol seems to be very overpriced

Old 12-11-2009, 02:19 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,695,674 times
Default Unexpected costs

Many people who purchase a 2nd home or condo in HI are unprepared for the high maintenance costs. Also cost for pest control are sometimes not taken into consideration.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:00 PM

117 posts, read 545,893 times
it explains why a lot of national franchises and businesses number 1 locations are right here

i know the iwilei trio, costco, home depot, and best buy, are the top sellers in their companies

Old 12-11-2009, 07:19 PM

155 posts, read 545,519 times
Dear Survivor: Are you saying that, within the Costco company... their # 1 selling stores, their highest profit, highest volume stores... are located in Hawai'i? That would make sense. -- Lisa ;-)

Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,531,561 times
One of the main reasons in higher costs is Hawaii's health care program that mandates most employers provide almost 100% of single coverage for any employee that averages 20+ hours per week.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:22 PM

229 posts, read 930,474 times
I would also point out that you will likely have casualties in the move--broken dishes, lampshades, etc. In my first week in the islands, I had to contend with ER costs from a knee injury sustained on the plane, and repairs to my car, which was damaged during shipping. Waited 10 days for a replacement rack and pinion steering unit for my '96 Malibu, and had to rent a cast & crutches accessible car for that time. $2,900. Hey, sh!+ happens, and in the islands, it can be expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii