Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:25 PM

12 posts, read 47,549 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I've been lurking these boards for a little bit and have found the information being posted on these boards are very helpful! After checking things out I guess I've caught the bug and would like to explore the possibility of moving to a few different places!

The first thing for me to consider before moving anywhere is trying to line up a job. Could any of you provide website links or contact information for the best job recruiters or career posting sites for Hawaii specifically?

I am a professional in the construction industry (project management, quantity surveying, estimating, etc.) so the ideal link would be focussed on that, however, for everyone's benefits if you have a good resource post it in this thread for not just myself, but for anyone else considering to move here.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 02:50 PM

15 posts, read 33,024 times
Maui, Big Island and Kauai Jobs - KamaainaJobs.com: Jobs in Maui, Big Island and Kauai and Careers in Maui, Big Island and Kauai -
Hawaii's Largest Local Job Website and Employment Information Directory | Help Wanted Hawaii
Mauinews.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Visitor's Information - The Maui News
Maui County, HI - Official Website

Here's a few, the last 2 are for Maui specifically. Keep in mind that chances you get hired while still living on the mainland are extremely slim, but this gives you something to see what's available jobwise. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:23 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
The mainland big city concept of headhunters and recruiters has not caught on very well here. There are very few of them and most companies do not deal with them. There are but a few exceptions, mainly in companies who have headquarters on the mainland and do not understand how things work here.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The mainland big city concept of headhunters and recruiters has not caught on very well here. There are very few of them and most companies do not deal with them. There are but a few exceptions, mainly in companies who have headquarters on the mainland and do not understand how things work here.
What is the best way to seek something there if I'm at the disadvantage of not being one of the homegrown local boys?

Old 12-19-2009, 11:32 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
"Homegrown local boys" has nothing to do with it. Employers get many resumes from dreamers wanting to move to Hawaii. Everybody thinks that Hawaii has jobs waiting for everyone who wants one. Employers are overloaded with resumes and many have been burnt in the past with loads of people applying who never come to Hawaii. Unless its a specialized position where no local RESIDENT can fill, its a waste of their time to spend resources on another wanna-be. Your chances for an interview and job will expand a thousand percent once your feet are on the island.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:57 PM

155 posts, read 544,655 times
Dear Carogen and anyone else who wants to do this:

chances you get hired while still living on the mainland are extremely slim,
I agree 100%

mainly in companies who have headquarters on the mainland
If you work for a big corporation, and that has a job opening in Hawai'i, and you get the job... that's one place where a recruiter will work. Other than that, slim chance.

Employers get many resumes from dreamers wanting to move to Hawaii. Everybody thinks that Hawaii has jobs waiting for everyone who wants one. Employers are overloaded with resumes and many have been burnt in the past with loads of people applying who never come to Hawaii. Unless its a specialized position where no local RESIDENT can fill, its a waste of their time to spend resources on another wanna-be.
Yes, I agree, 100% correct.

Your chances for an interview and job will expand a thousand percent once your feet are on the island.
I agree. However... Let's be realistic here... in this economy, it may increase your chance from 1/1000 % to 1 %. You might have a 1% chance to get a job here.

Why? Because people move here, with the best of intentions. A company will hire and train a person, and after 3-6 months, then that person will say, "I can't make it here. (Many reasons!) Sorry. I'm moving back home." After a company does this a few times, they get burned. They just don't want to deal with new transplants anymore. They would rather hire someone who has lived on the island for years.

Best advice yet... if you don't have a job lined up before you move here, don't move here. The economy is so bad right now, people are struggling to survive. They are trying to pay their basic bills, without going into more credit card debt.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa From Maui View Post
Dear Carogen and anyone else who wants to do this:

Best advice yet... if you don't have a job lined up before you move here, don't move here. The economy is so bad right now, people are struggling to survive. They are trying to pay their basic bills, without going into more credit card debt.
I appreciate this which is why I'm asking this question.

My work background is a little specialized and in demand for most regions even in tight economies. However, I need to know how to best source these jobs if Hawaii is a place I intend to go. If I do this I'm going to plan this - it isn't going to be a spur of the moment thing.

Are looking at those links that the first reply put in the only way to seek something here? Or is there a better way to job seek there?

Old 12-20-2009, 12:30 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Maybe this will help:

Job search help

Old 12-25-2009, 02:08 AM

To anyone who is looking for a job here...

Carogan:
My husband got his job because the Universe dropped it in his lap. He didn't tell ANYONE he was looking. Didn't fill out ONE job application. Didn't make ONE phone call. His job was handed to him, and he loves it.

You can call it Spirit's plan, Creator's plan, Higher Power's plan, etc. I have seen, over and over, from many different people on this island.. if it's easy to find a job here, then the Universe wants you here. If you're having a hard time getting a job, you're not supposed to be living here. If you have to search and search and push and struggle and work and work and work... to make it happen... then you're not supposed to be here.

Kinda like a marriage... if it's a huge ton of effort to date a person, and it's constant conflict and unhappiness, maybe you shouldn't be marrying him or her.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:07 PM

Carogan:
Please keep in mind, when I write, I don't have any ill will directed to you personally. I know that many mainlanders read these forums. I write for them too.

Everyone has the same questions. When kamaaina (locals) write stuff, it's because we don't want to see another mainlander come to the islands, unprepared for reality... crash and burn, and go home heart-broken and disappointed.

Even if a man finds the perfect job, a dream job, that pays well, he may still crash and burn. If his wife and kids move here with him, and they are not happy, then the family - as a whole - will have alot of conflict, anger and resentment. An unhappy family can turn any dream job into a nightmare job.

Carogan, please understand it's nothing personal towards you. Any man, any family, can have these same problems. -- Lisa ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii