Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 02:02 AM

62 posts, read 267,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
Not true. I flew here in mid-May with my dog on Hawaiian from LAX. When I called to make the reservation, they said they do the in&out of LA year-round with pets (morning flight) because it never really gets too hot (airport is out by the water, and the flight leaves at like 8am), but they won't fly pets from, say, Arizona in the summer.

However, Hawaiian has strict size requirements (dog+kennel < 70lb, and my 45 lb dog just squeaked by) and number (one person per pet, and no more than three pets on the plane). So my husband had to bring the two cats on another airline.
Hmmmm... lots of conflicting information floating around:

From Hawaiian's website:

Number of Containers Per Passenger
: Passengers will be permitted to transport the maximum number of animals allowed for that particular aircraft at the time of reservations based on space availability, and subject to the limits set forth in paragraph A.

Paragraph A says:

Baggage Compartment: The number of containers allowed per flight, both as carry-on and checked baggage, is limited as follows: All types of aircraft: 3 total.(Advance Arrangements Required).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 03:20 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellepdx View Post
Hmmmm... lots of conflicting information floating around:

From Hawaiian's website:...
I think their website is not updated regularly, or not as regularly as their procedures change. I know that it did say the thing about not flying animals from April to August when I moved here. But when I called, they said, "Oh, that only applies to certain airports."

So maybe the regs on the number of animals per passenger have changed since I arrived. Or maybe they changed a long time ago and the site never got updated.

Whichever it is, the best bet is a call to the airline to clarify the regs. I found them really helpful.

Oh, and when I got my email confirmation for my flight, it didn't have my pup's "reservation" on it. So I called to double-check, and asked them to send me something to confirm that she had a spot on the plane. They did.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:33 AM

62 posts, read 267,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
I think their website is not updated regularly, or not as regularly as their procedures change. I know that it did say the thing about not flying animals from April to August when I moved here. But when I called, they said, "Oh, that only applies to certain airports."

So maybe the regs on the number of animals per passenger have changed since I arrived. Or maybe they changed a long time ago and the site never got updated.

Whichever it is, the best bet is a call to the airline to clarify the regs. I found them really helpful.

Oh, and when I got my email confirmation for my flight, it didn't have my pup's "reservation" on it. So I called to double-check, and asked them to send me something to confirm that she had a spot on the plane. They did.
Sheesh. Thank you for the head's up.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:51 AM

155 posts, read 544,731 times
Annabelle wrote: I believe I mentioned that my dogs will not be staying at a Dept of Ag kennel. They will be boarding at my husband's place of work, an approved satellite facility.

I would double-check that with the Hawai'i Dept of Agriculture. If the Dof Ag says your dog can do a quarantine at husband's work, then okay. Definitely check with D of Ag.

UH prof wrote: I flew here in mid-May with my dog on Hawaiian from LAX. When I called to make the reservation, they said they do the in&out of LA year-round with pets (morning flight) because it never really gets too hot (airport is out by the water, and the flight leaves at like 8am), but they won't fly pets from, say, Arizona in the summer.

What I was told was... the temperature on the mainland was not the BIG issue. There are flights that leave early morning from the mainland, where it's cool enough that the dog can handle it.

The BIG issue is landing at Honolulu. If your flight arrives at Honolulu, after 9am, it's probably gonna be high temp and high humidity. Too hot for the dogs at Honolulu airport. Hawaiian Air doesn't want to deal with the liability. That's what I was told.

If UH prof flew Hawaiian Airlines, into Honolulu in mid-May, well, I'm just amazed. That's very different from what Hawaiian Airlines told me.

Annabelle:
There IS alot of conflicting info. Glad you're going to the source and checking for yourself.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:13 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,630 times
What you want is the airline's FAA-required "Contract of Carriage."
As the name implies, THIS is the contract that governs everything about your (or your animal's) flying on the airline. HA's CoC regarding pets says:

Quote:
CONDITIONS AND CHARGES FOR ACCEPTANCE OF LIVE ANIMALS

1. General Acceptance
HA will accept for transportation as baggage, dogs, cats and household birds (only in baggage compartment) which are kept as personal pets or as show or exhibition animals, subject to the provisions of this rule. Carriage of any other pets as baggage will be determined on a case by case basis at HA’s sole discretion. No animals will be accepted for travel to/from Sydney, Australia, and to/from Manila, Philippines.

The passenger must make all arrangements and assume full responsibility for complying with any applicable laws, customs, and/or other governmental regulations, requirements or restrictions of the country, state, or territory to which the animal is being transported.

Animals that HA accepts as baggage may, under certain circumstances, be shipped as air cargo. Please contact HA or visit HawaiianAirlines.com for rules applicable to cargo shipments.

This rule does not apply to the transportation of service animals pursuant to Rule 55.

To arrange pet entry into Hawaii, it is the responsibility of the customer to contact the Hawaii Department of Agriculture, Animal Quarantine Station [link to http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info] for all specific details.
1. Advance Arrangements Required
The number of containers allowed per flight, both as carry-on and checked baggage, is limited as follows:
Baggage Compartment:
All types of aircraft: 3 total

Passenger Compartment:
Within the State of Hawaii: 5 total
Between Continental USA and Hawaii and Between points in the Continental US: 2 First Class cabin
5 Coach Class cabin
Note: HA will not accept animals in the passenger compartment of the aircraft for flights into the State of Hawaii.

Advance arrangements must be made with HA to transport pets as checked or carry on baggage. Animals are accepted on a first-come first-served basis. After making your reservations, you must contact HA to make reservations for your pet(s).
2. Compliance with Applicable Laws and Regulations
The passenger is solely responsible for compliance with any applicable laws, customs and/other governmental regulations, requirements or restrictions of the country, state or territory to which the animal is being transported.
3. Health Certificates
Passengers are responsible to obtain health certificates for their pets prior to the first departure date as follows:
Travel TO Hawaii 14 days prior to travel
Travel FROM Hawaii 10 days prior to travel
Within the State of Hawaii Not required
4. Financial Responsibility
The passenger is responsible for all financial obligations involved in transporting the animal, including vaccinations, health certificates, and quarantine charges.
5. Compliance with USDA Requirements
All animals accepted for transport must be placed in a shipping container and comply with all U.S. Animal Welfare Act (AWA) and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) requirements. The passenger is responsible for insuring that the container meets all governmental requirements for the safe and humane transportation of the animal being transported. Without limitation of the foregoing containers must be large enough to allow the animal to stand upright and turn around and must be leak proof. HA may refuse to accept any animal for transport if, in its sole discretion, the animal is not properly presented in an approved container at the time of check in.
2. Special Conditions for Acceptance of Animals as Checked Baggage
In addition to the general acceptance rules set forth above, the following additional conditions apply to the acceptance of animals as checked baggage.
1. Environmental Conditions
HA will not accept animals as checked baggage when, in HA’s sole discretion, environmental conditions may post a hazard to the safety of the comfort of the animal. In particular, and without limitation of the foregoing, animals will not be accepted during the following periods or on the following flights:
2. Temperature Restrictions
Animals will not be accepted as checked baggage from April 15 through October 15.
1. Maximum Temperature
Animals will not be accepted as checked baggage if the local temperature at the origin, destination or connecting airport is expected to be above 85F/29C at the time of acceptance. The temperature restrictions apply from the time the animal is tendered until the scheduled arrival at the destination city.
2. Minimum Temperature
Animals will not be accepted as checked baggage if the local temperature at the origin, destination or connecting airport is expected to be below 45F/7C. Animals may be accepted for travel if the temperature falls below 45F/7C only under the following conditions:
1. There is no current embargo in place, and
2. You are in possession of an acclimation certificate issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian and dated within ten (10) days of travel (14 days if traveling TO Hawaii). The acclimation certificate must specify the minimum temperature at which the animal may travel. If the actual temperature is less than the specified minimum on the certificate at any time during transport, the animal will be refused for travel.
Animals will never be accepted to/from any Continental USA location if the temperature is less than 20F/-7C at any point during transport.

If HA is unable to accept an animal due to temperature restrictions, the customer may rebook to the next flight provided space is available for the customer and animal, subject to all conditions of this rule. Any applicable fare differences or date change penalties will be waived provided that changes are made into the same cabin as originally ticketed.
3. Embargo
Animals will never be accepted for check-in to/from a city that is under a seasonal pet acceptance embargo.
4. Transfer to Another Carrier
Animals will not be checked beyond a point of transfer to another carrier.
5. Transporting Containers/Kennels
1. Approved Container Required
Animals accepted as checked baggage must be placed in a hard sided shipping container.
2. Size and Weight Limitations
The total weight of the animal(s) and the container must not exceed 70 lbs and not exceed the following dimensions (in inches):
Aircraft Type Length Width Height
717 36 24 26
767 40 27 30
3. Number of Animals Per Container
No more than one adult dog or cat may occupy a single container. Two puppies or kittens may occupy a single container provided they are at least 8 weeks old and fully weaned, and no more than 6 months old. Two household birds will be permitted in the same container. The total weight of the animal(s) and the container(s) must not exceed 25 pounds.
4. Number of Containers Per Passenger
Passengers will be permitted to transport the maximum number of animals allowed for that particular aircraft at the time of reservations based on space availability, and subject to the limits set forth in paragraph A.1. and the applicable charges in paragraph D.
6. Brachycephalic (short-nosed) Dogs and Cats
HA will accept for transportation brachycephalic dogs and cats only if the owner/shipper agrees to (1) release Hawaiian from any and all liability resulting from the transportation of the animal and (2) not file any claim with Hawaiian relating to the transportation of the animal. The owner/shipper must sign a liability release form prior to HA accepting the animal for transport.
7. Household Birds
HA will only accept household birds at the airport ticket counter. Household birds will only be permitted to be transported in the baggage compartment of the aircraft, and provided all required entry documentation accompanies the bird upon check-in. The passenger is responsible for determining entry documentation requirements of the respective governmental agencies of the destination State.
3. Special Conditions for Acceptance of Animals as Baggage In the Passenger Compartment
HA will not accept animals in the passenger compartment of the aircraft for flights into the State of Hawaii. See Rule 55 for Service Animal requirements.

In addition to the general acceptance rules set forth above the following special conditions apply to the acceptance of personal pets as carry-on baggage in the passenger compartment.
1. Types of Animals Accepted
HA will only accept dogs and cats in the passenger compartment of the aircraft. Other pets or animals will not be accepted. The pet must be small enough to fit comfortably in a container under the seat directly in front of the passenger.
2. Transporting Containers/Kennels
1. Approved Container Required
Animals accepted for transport in the passenger compartment must be placed in a soft-sided container. The container must be stored under the seat directly in front of the passenger transporting the animal. The animal will not be carried in the first (bulkhead) row or adjacent to an emergency exit. The animal must remain in the container while in the boarding area, airport lounge, during boarding and deplaning, and at all times while on board the aircraft.
2. Size and Weight Limitations
The total weight of the animal(s) and the container must not exceed 25 pounds exceed the following dimensions (in inches):
Aircraft Type Length Width Height
717/767 16 10 9.5
3. Number of Animals Per Container
No more than one adult dog or cat may occupy a single container. Two puppies or kittens may occupy a single container provided they are at least 8 weeks old and no more than 6 months old, and weigh less than 25 pounds in total.
4. Number of Containers Per Passenger
Passengers will be permitted to transport only one container per person in the passenger compartment. Animals will be accepted for reservations based on space availability, and subject to the limits set forth in paragraph A.1. and the applicable charges in paragraph D.
3. Removal of Offensive or Disruptive Animals
In the event the animal becomes offensive or causes a disturbance in the holding area prior to departure or during transit, HA has the right to remove the animal prior to departure or at the first en route stop.
4. Charges
The animal and its container will not be included in determining the free baggage allowance and will always be subject to a charge, with the exception described in paragraph D.1.
1. For animals carried in the passenger compartment of the aircraft the following charges will apply:
Charge
No Charge Between points within the State of Hawaii if in lieu of one piece of carry-on baggage
$175.00 Between any other points serviced by Hawaiian Airlines other than wholly within the State of Hawaii
2. For pets traveling as checked baggage, the following charges will apply:
Charge
$60.00 Between points within the State of Hawaii
$225.00 Between any other points serviced by Hawaiian Airlines other than wholly within the State of Hawaii
HA's full Contract of Carriage is HERE

Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM

109 posts, read 410,045 times
Hello, we are an active duty military family with two dogs...possible move to Hawaii in June or July. We have started the rabies paperwork for both dogs. We are a little confused with the time line. Does the 120 days start AFTER Kansas City receives the blood work or after the blood test results come back? Sorry we are on a crunch due to the puppy having to wait 30 days in between rabies shots. Second rabies will be given in Feb. and blood work ten days after.After reading all the information on HA, I looked into flying with Continental Airlines. They have a morning flight straight through. Continental also has some great infomation on senior dogs and extra blood tests that should be given for liver and kidney.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,484 times
Aloha,
The timer starts after Kansas passes your tetter test your vet will get a notification that you need it will have the timer date on it.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:03 PM

Ok thanks ....do you know how long from the time we send in the blood test until it passes. Is it a test that takes a certain about of days for the blood too work it's magic....like 10-14 days..... 3-4 weeks. Or with any luck, just a few days? I can't really make airline reservations until I know what the timer date states.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:21 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDDS View Post
Ok thanks ....do you know how long from the time we send in the blood test until it passes. Is it a test that takes a certain about of days for the blood too work it's magic....like 10-14 days..... 3-4 weeks. Or with any luck, just a few days? I can't really make airline reservations until I know what the timer date states.
when we sent in the teeter sample the vet called us when Kansas made a mistake on the test and tested the wrong test our vet had them retest they still had enough blood aka teeter why in animals its different i don't know. Given all that the results were in in 2 weeks it just depend on there backlog it seems that Kansas does a world wide service and only Kansas does it.
If your going out in June ish you have plenty of time if your dog/s need there second rabies shot talk to your vet to see how soon they can get it 2 shots are required.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 PM

One is a puppy and the other an older dog (12Years). Both will have to have two rounds of rabies. We must wait 30 days between rounds. Second round is the end of Jan. Blood work done 12 days later on Feb. 12th. Puppy had chip and older dog gets her chip on Thursday. Vet is getting my money this month and next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii