Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 PM

91 posts, read 419,697 times

Advertisements

I have read many posts talking about the financial/other difficulties that people experience when they move to Hawaii. However, a lot of these posts have been written by people in their early/mid-20's or those working in less-lucrative professions.

Therefore, I was wondering...

What is the experience for those of you who make >100K/year... about your move to Hawaii (good or bad)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 10:21 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Many companies have downsized or consolidated operations back to the mainland. Unless they need to have people on Hawaii, they used excess capacity in Ca to handle the work. Some have moved many support work to the mainland but kept some managers, directors or executives on Hawaii. Others have slashed their top employees but kept the support staff. It depends on what the company needs. There is a sizable number of unemployed people in management but there is also a lot of opportunityif your not locked into a particular field. Like everywhere, its hit or miss. there can be fifty jobs for executives today but once filled it may be months before another one comes along. Someone can come to Hawaii and land a 100,000+ job that week, but if they start looking a week or two later, nothing.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:27 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
I have read many posts talking about the financial/other difficulties that people experience when they move to Hawaii. However, a lot of these posts have been written by people in their early/mid-20's or those working in less-lucrative professions.

Therefore, I was wondering...

What is the experience for those of you who make >100K/year... about your move to Hawaii (good or bad)?
Which island - BIG difference.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:31 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,780 times
Are you talking about someone that has 100K a year as disposal or working on the isalnds. Bg difference. I am not sure now interested the average age of posters on this forum. I would quess the majority posters are over 40 years. the people asking if they can live in a tent on the beach would be 20's. Interesting to find out. Van you set up surveys???

Old 01-15-2010, 04:16 AM

16 posts, read 51,361 times
Vicious,

I think you would be surprised at the age and wealth of the majority of the posters here. But when you ask these questions and throw out these numbers, besides sounding like you are bragging, you aren't giving anymore detail.

Like what island?
What are your quality of living expectations?
How much debt do you have?
How much disposable income do you want to have?
Are you sickly? Do you take expensive prescription medicines?

I know I'm not in Hawaii but I have traveled to HI as well the world over and Hawaii is a resort community to most people. And in that end it will all depend on what you want and what your expectations are because you can get it here.

If you want an ocean front condo, you are going to pay for it. If you want a BMW you are going to pay for it. Overall, from your postings, your financial resources are clearly present, it will really all depend on how you manage them.

Just for reference, where are you coming from?

Old 01-15-2010, 11:22 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
vicious, on maui there really isn't a lot of jobs that get that kind of salary. executives on island unless they own the company do not bring in that kind of money. a regular high paying job may be in the 75 to 80 range. my guess would be anyone that works that makes that kind of money would be about an 1/8th of the population. other people with that kind of income are more than likely retired. just IMO I could be wrong

Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Are you talking about someone that has 100K a year as disposal or working on the isalnds. Bg difference. I am not sure now interested the average age of posters on this forum. I would quess the majority posters are over 40 years. the people asking if they can live in a tent on the beach would be 20's. Interesting to find out. Van you set up surveys???
Let me try my hand at it and see what I can do....

Old 01-15-2010, 03:38 PM

41 posts, read 214,952 times
Let me take a stab, since I'm a mid-level executive making over $100k, but just 3 years ago I was blue collar on the Mainland:

Like what island?

Kaua'i

What are your quality of living expectations?

3/2 house, couple computers, a TV, standard living room furniture, solar hot water, hang dry clothes, washing machine, outdoor full-size freezer, inside standup fridge/freezer.

How much debt do you have?

When I came here after being in college for 4 years back in early 2007, I had $25k in student debt, no car debt or credit card debt, but I had been living comfortably in Oklahoma City on about $30k/yr. I now make about $105k, but I've got $20k in credit card debt and $10k in student debt now due to the increased cost of living.

Example: 2006 OKC: 3BR/1BA $600mo rent, $100mo utils. Cable/internet: $50mo. Food: $300mo. Clothes (lots of thrift stores around with new clothes): $50mo. Gas/Insurance: $125mo Other household supplies (petfood, soap, etc): $100mo

2010 Kaua'i: 3BR/2BA $1500mo rent, $250mo utils (elec and propane), no A/C or dryer, solar hot water. Internet: $40mo. Food:$1200-1500mo. Clothes: $150mo. Gas/insurance: $350mo. Other household supplies: $250mo

How much disposable income do you want to have?

$1k/month would be nice, but need at least $500.

Are you sickly? Do you take expensive prescription medicines?

No, although there are an additional $200-300 in medical costs per year here due to the fact that healthcare is taxed and insurance won't pay for it, whereas in the mainland it's not taxed.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:34 PM

91 posts, read 419,697 times
Which island: Maui

Let's say >100K *GROSS* salary

Living standard: 2BR/2Bathroom condo or house

Other stuff: 2 cars, no debt, regular furniture and appliances

"nhzero": you spend $1500 in food a month?!? Is that typical for Hawaii?

I've lived in Manhattan and other Northeast cities -- would it be safe to say that Maui is just as or more expensive than Manhattan?

-Vicious

Old 01-15-2010, 06:20 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,858 times
Aloha,
To which Island ? it was Kauai he was quoting.
And to Manhattan YES it will cost you as much to live on Kauai. How often do you eat out a week ? How often does your wife hang her clothes out to dry? What is your wife's monthly budget for clothes shopping?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: