Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,498,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I assume many Hawaiians don't even consider themselves American from what I read on this forum and the comments after the article.
Don't believe everything you read, and always look for a well rounded picture. There are all kinds... the good and the bad... everywhere you go. Everywhere.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:41 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,498,988 times
Quote:
What is meant by CDF?
CDF = City-Data Forum, the site you're on.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:02 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,775,788 times
Quote:
The poster you are referring to lives on the mainland as far as listed location. Kind of ironic to be complaining about white culture in Hawaii while they are living in the mainland. I would have no issue with Hawaii leaving the US. Looks beautiful, and I would love to visit, but not where I am not welcome by the local people.

Whole cities and towns have seen huge demographic changes on the mainland, but for the most part most Americans want immigration reform that allows people to stay and even allow more to come in. Seems quite a few native Hawaiians don't want any white people moving there.
Hmmm alot of misconceptions. Ok yes i live on the mainland. But like alot of locals who have lived in Hawai'i for generations we have had to flee our homes because of climbing high prices and cost of living.

2) Kill haole day and other racism being a huge problem for whites is an urban myth. You would be welcomed with aloha 90% of the time.

Cont next post. please let me finish.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM

Continued from last post:

Me personally and ive said it before but some people choose to ignore it, so they can believe whatever benifits there beliefs. Its not western culture i hate or white folks because im hapa haole just(native instead of asian) and i have also served this country during wartime and im a veteran and pay taxes and vote etc etc. What makes me and others angry is when people move to Hawai'i and instead of assimilating to the local culture they demand others to change to meet there personal agendas which changes our island lifestyle. Western Culture of Capitalism is the biggest one who does this, not the only one. Our oceans around are islands are polluted because of outside corperations who dump toxins in the oceans because its cheaper to do so. They come over and change our communities with no respect to the wishes of a community. These are just a few examples. So it has nothing to do with your white or western culture, its about attitude and action.

Cont next post

Old 03-27-2014, 12:36 PM

Cont from last post:

I use western culture actions as an example alot when dealing with peoples who have the western culture is rightous 100% of the time bug. We have a few on here. Me and others like me would be just as angry if it was a local or native hawaiians who are doing the same things. But that isn't the case majority of the time.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-27-2014 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 01:15 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,276,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Continued from last post:

Me personally and ive said it before but some people choose to ignore it, so they can believe whatever benifits there beliefs. Its not western culture i hate or white folks because im hapa haole just(native instead of asian) and i have also served this country during wartime and im a veteran and pay taxes and vote etc etc. What makes me and others angry is when people move to Hawai'i and instead of assimilating to the local culture they demand others to change to meet there personal agendas which changes our island lifestyle. Western Culture of Capitalism is the biggest one who does this, not the only one. Our oceans around are islands are polluted because of outside corperations who dump toxins in the oceans because its cheaper to do so. They come over and change our communities with no respect to the wishes of a community. These are just a few examples. So it has nothing to do with your white or western culture, its about attitude and action.

Cont next post
I used to go to Honolulu every year when I lived in L.A. and had a friend who worked/lived in Pearl City. What I loved was staying away from the tourist areas and getting to know people. I love and respect the Hawaiian culture, so for me, I always had a great time. I'm white, but I just fit in to the laid back culture of Hawaii. That's how I am, and I have never worn shoes in a house since my first visit to Hawaii (well, that tradition is also common in California). But the food, the people, the climate, the beauty of the islands all appeal to me. I never experienced any negative issues with any locals during my many visits. I plan to return in a couple yeas, with my kids this time. I'd live there if I could afford it.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:49 PM

@denverian

Exactly and why is it you have no troubles in Hawai'i? Its because you have assimilated your lifestyle to the culture. And the way you talk about Hawai'i it sounds like you wouldn't purposely destroy the aina, culture etc. Exactly what im talking about. We need more like you. Mahalo

Old 03-27-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
You do realize that many Americans say similar things about all the Hispanic and Asian immigrants coming into the US right? "they're taking over and ruining our country!" "they refuse to assimilate" "I miss the good old days (before the immigrants came)"

I think you should accept the inevitable (Hawaii will never be how it was 50 years ago) and move on with your life.
I believe your missing the point, the point isn't going back to live like we did 50 years ago, but what is so difficult about taking the values of 50 years ago and appling it today in terms of love for our land, families, communities, culture? We probably wouldn't have to worry about fighting against skyscrapers blocking our view of diamond head. Or companies wilfully skipping safety procedures because its cheaper when the precedures should prevent dumping of toxins in our Hawai'ian waters.

The examples of those past values are there in the videos. It starts with one person.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:30 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,966,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@denverian

Exactly and why is it you have no troubles in Hawai'i? Its because you have assimilated your lifestyle to the culture. And the way you talk about Hawai'i it sounds like you wouldn't purposely destroy the aina, culture etc. Exactly what im talking about. We need more like you. Mahalo

How come the same is not demanded of the people that move to my region from Puerto Rico or foreign countries? Why does the other end of the phone always say "push 1 for Spanish", etc.? The retort you will hear is that "well, we (Puerto Ricans) are US citizens and have every right to keep our culture". My state was founded as a British Colony and British culture was seeped into the fabric of the city. Then loads and loads of immigrants came and dramatically changed the place.

Well then, let me ask you why a New Yorker, who happens to be just as much as an American as any American living in Hawaii, and by rights in the Constitution has just as much right to live and act they want within the law in Hawaii, has to assimilate to your culture. They don't. They are American and it is currently American territory. An American has the right to bring their New York culture and lifestyle to Hawaii, period. Actually, it is just as much their island as yours. The US Constitution as interpreted by the Supreme Court states that no state can deny residence to any American that has lived in the state for more than 30 days.

If hundreds of thousands of White mainlanders one day decide they want to live in Hawaii, and flood your island over night and change it, too bad. That is history and demographics. No one here in Philadelphia demanded that the hundreds of thousands of African Americans that moved here during and after WWII change to meet our culture. They changed the culture of our city whether we liked it or not. That is the way America works. Things change and places change. If you don't want that, then you have to have your state leave the Union. Simple as that.

In 1900 the US was 90% white, and now it is around 66% White. No other country has gone thru such a demographic change so quickly in the history of the world. Our immigration laws were radically changed in 1965, and America has pretty much embraced the idea, and has no plans to alter dramatically the immigrant stream. Hawaii needs to suck it up and realize it is going to change, or quit the nation. You don't get to keep rules no one else in America gets to keep.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:06 PM

@tom77falcons

The south is still the south with its custems, way of life. Same for new orleans. In New York City you can still be as rude as you want and thats ok. Nothing Has changed in these areas lol. Now what do you think would happen if i moved to New York and tried to pass laws or told people that now they have to be nice to one another, or told southerners they couldn't talk with an accent. What do you think would happen? Exactly, doesnt mean we can't embrace or enclude what traditions you want into local culture, Hawai'i is an example of that. But what we have is a small group of people moving here with a ton of money who bribe, buy and stronghand others to get what they want, with no respect to others, our communities, or islands.

No one is saying you can't move to Hawai'i and not assimilate the culture etc. Just don't expect others to stop showing hostilities or telling you "Haole go home"! There are rights and wrongs even our constitution grants us the right to fee speech, that doesn't mean you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii