Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:08 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times

Advertisements

Speaking of fresh fish you would think that considering Hawaii is in the middle of the ocean that fish would be less expensive, not so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
I think marlin is sold under it's Japanese name in the groceries. Can't think of it right now, but it is a tasty fish. A bit stiffer than ahi, great for grilling. Fish is awfully expensive around here, we would eat it a lot more frequently if we could. But what we get are big slabs of fresh boneless fish, try to find that in the midwest or away from any ocean!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,029 times
Marlin is sold as marlin here, and was for at least several years in upstate NY before we left (in '08). It's a 'meaty' fish like swordfish. Very delicious if cooked properly, tough as shoe leather if overcooked.

And yes, many of the charter boat operators here do sell their fish to restaurants (and the leftovers to lucky folks like us who have them as friends and neighbors). But if someone wants to keep a few, my friend would let them. Don't know if that's true of all boat operators, though.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:05 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,146 times
Isn't it called a'u? It is often smoked, and delicious in dips or salsas. It's very firm and meaty. And good grilled, too. I remember when Sarah Moulton was on the Food Network a caller told her it "tastes like pork," which is only funny because of all of the "tastes like chicken" food jokes.

Last edited by whynot?; 01-22-2010 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Added okina.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:29 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
I think that was the name. It is a really tasty fish, more meaty than fishy if you know what I mean. It is generally less expensive than ahi so we get it more often, but not often enough. Usually when we have fish it is papio or weke which we had to go catch ourselves. Not as boneless and steak like as the big ocean fishes.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:55 PM

40 posts, read 116,361 times
WOW! I can't wait to try some a'u! Hopefully i'll adapt enough to the seas so i can catch my own food.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:44 AM

279 posts, read 508,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
I'm a bit confused here so hopefully you guys can help clear the air a tad. After looking through many charter photos...I noticed that some marlin (all species) are kept and not released. I've never eaten marlin nor have i seen marlin as an option on any menu. I always thought marlin had tight restrictions and CPR (catch, photograph, release) --+well with marlin....tag then release was the standard practice. If these fish are kept by the charter boats ....what are there remains used for besides pics? if they're eaten....are they any good...by gosh...i know they're a really bloody fish..but so are tuna..IDK. Just curious. Is conservation not big on the islands?

Consider the experience level of a Tourist who fishes for marlin. Marlin have a low survival rate when fighting the angler and if the angler is not experienced and can't bring in the marlin appropriately then it only makes sense to keep the Marlin.

This is a guess but catch and release might be utilized more with pro or experienced anglers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii