Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:37 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times

Advertisements

Why anyone would want to eat at a chain restaurant when the mom-n-pop places put out better food with more interesting menus is beyond me but there is a Bubba's shrimp place over on the Kona side. Also at least one on Oahu. I think the mom-n-pops have an advantage since they can change their menus to reflect the really good local produce and such whereas most of the mainland chain stores have to ship in brand specific stuff from the mainland. The local joints can serve fresh interesting food instead of either revived frozen stuff or stale stuff made to suit a generic set of tastebuds.

Oh, another good burger joint is the 50's Cafe in Laupahoehoe. They make a wicked chocolate malted to go with it, too! (Or strawberry, blueberry, banana, vanilla, etc.) Oh, yeah, and cobblers! They make their own pies and cobblers. Way tasty! Loads of ambiance, there, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 01:45 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,129 times
Ugh Bubba's really? I hate it. On Kona I always liked the people but this year I am startled at the differnce at Fish Hopper. Great Food and such good service. Everyone remembers me from last year. not so much burger I left the post.

Pahoa Village Cafe has a pretty mean burger and also Ono burger. I am not a burger fan but my friend is and will only eat burgers there. Sometime the service is a little lacking but they are nice. I still get Chinise Koa when going to Hilo soooo good. Where I told you.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:12 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,170 times
We don't like Bubba's either.The boys say NO to a return trip. If a kid doesn't like a burger place.... that should tell you something.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 AM

649 posts, read 3,443,935 times
I think Bubba's (burgers) is overpriced and the burgers aren't that good. Besides, I don't like patronizing a place with such a bad attitude toward my profession (). I think it would be funny if someone sued them and they couldn't find a decent lawyer to defend them; on the other hand that would just reinforce their opinion, I'm sure. And it's all just marketing anyway.

I've heard that Ono Char Burger is good but I've never been there. I had a really great burger somewhere the other day, but can't remember where. Stay tuned and maybe the 'senior moment' will pass...

Old 02-10-2010, 11:25 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Why anyone would want to eat at a chain restaurant when the mom-n-pop places put out better food with more interesting menus is beyond me
I'd rather eat catfood than at an Applebee's, Chili's, TGIFriday's and the other chains with overpriced, unimaginative and tasteless pseudo-cuisine.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 AM

737 posts, read 1,462,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Why anyone would want to eat at a chain restaurant when the mom-n-pop places put out better food with more interesting menus is beyond me but there is a Bubba's shrimp place over on the Kona side. Also at least one on Oahu. I think the mom-n-pops have an advantage since they can change their menus to reflect the really good local produce and such whereas most of the mainland chain stores have to ship in brand specific stuff from the mainland. The local joints can serve fresh interesting food instead of either revived frozen stuff or stale stuff made to suit a generic set of tastebuds.

Oh, another good burger joint is the 50's Cafe in Laupahoehoe. They make a wicked chocolate malted to go with it, too! (Or strawberry, blueberry, banana, vanilla, etc.) Oh, yeah, and cobblers! They make their own pies and cobblers. Way tasty! Loads of ambiance, there, too.
50's cafe is AWESOME! I forgot about that one. I finally got around to going there a couple of months ago. Great diner food, tons of cool 50's stuff(they even have an Elvis Room!!) and very friendly.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:07 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
I'd rather eat catfood than at an Applebee's, Chili's, TGIFriday's and the other chains with overpriced, unimaginative and tasteless pseudo-cuisine.
Since this thread is supposed to be about burgers on the Big Island, no worries. We don't have any of those restaurants here anyway.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:10 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,275 times
Lets expand to all Islands!

I like Burgers

Old 02-10-2010, 12:19 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
The 50's Cafe is sort of a neighborhood cafe. Everyone helped find all the 50's stuff they decorate with and people keep bringing in new stuff they find so the display changes over time. They use fresh island grass fed beef and fresh Hamakua mushrooms. They started buying tomatoes locally just lately, too. Hmm, maybe I could plant a buncha sweet potatoes and they could fry those up to go with the local burgers instead of irish potatoes from who knows where.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:06 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Dang. All this talk of burgers. I want one.
And to think we ate at Luquin's in Pahoa tonight?
Mexican. Darn good Mexican though.
The burgers at Luquin's are better than their "Mexican" food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: