Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:09 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatagrl43 View Post
While this question doesn't relate to moving costs...
Aloha,

In general I think you'll get better responses here by starting your own thread, with a subject line relating to your area of interest, rather than by changing the subject on an existing thread.

I also think you'll find that the Search function here accesses a goldmine of previous responses to general questions like yours.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,963 times
What OpenD said.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,212 times
what are the utility deposits in honolulu?

Old 04-02-2014, 06:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker1231 View Post
what are the utility deposits in honolulu?
I've never heard of one at least on Oahu.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:24 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Asking in your own thread would probably get better results. On Hawaii island for the electric company if you've not had an account with them before, they will keep $100 for a year and then give it back or put it towards your electric bill if you've paid all your electric bills on time.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:36 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
On Hawaii island for the electric company if you've not had an account with them before, they will keep $100 for a year and then give it back or put it towards your electric bill if you've paid all your electric bills on time.
Asking around, apparently they run a credit check - good credit they waive deposit - not good credit, pay a deposit.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:46 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Hmpf! If they'd run a credit check on me, they'd not have asked for a deposit, but HELCO might have different procedures than HECO. We'd been off the grid for decades but when we moved to town three years ago, they asked for a deposit since we'd not had an account with them before. With a credit score of over 750, I'm sure that if they had run the credit score, they'd not have asked for a deposit. Not that it really matters, it wasn't much and they gave it back. We didn't ask them to waive the fee, though. Perhaps that makes a difference.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,499 times
VanHa
or anyone who was able to ship household for under $4200

Who did you ship through? And where was it from? That is by far the cheapest I've heard of. I am living in the Des Moines, Iowa area but I am from San Jose, CA. I am debating on driving home with my car packed to the gills, took me 3 days to get out here, then packing a container in CA. Does anyone have any moving advice? Also can you pick up day laborers at Home Depot like you can in CA?

Old 08-18-2014, 03:31 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysies369 View Post
VanHa
or anyone who was able to ship household for under $4200

Who did you ship through? And where was it from? That is by far the cheapest I've heard of. I am living in the Des Moines, Iowa area but I am from San Jose, CA. I am debating on driving home with my car packed to the gills, took me 3 days to get out here, then packing a container in CA. Does anyone have any moving advice? Also can you pick up day laborers at Home Depot like you can in CA?
Chrysies,

Your comment about packing a car makes it sound like you may have significantly less than a container full of household goods to ship.
I contemplated a container, but in the end packed all my tools, electronics, files, photos and anything else that was expensive or difficult to replace, onto a single pallet (3' 4' x 7' @ 2,000 lbs.).
This is likely way more goods than you could haul in anything but a van or truck.
It cost me $1,300 to ship this from my house in California, delivered to my new house on the Big Island. Cost could be less if you were to drop in Oakland or pick up at the port in Hawaii.
I used Aloha Freight and they had excellent customer service from pick-up to delivery; I really can't say enough good things about them.

I am glad I took the advice of members here and didn't ship my furniture. I replaced it all here with items more appropriate for the environment and smaller living spaces.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
I contemplated a container, but in the end packed all my tools, electronics, files, photos and anything else that was expensive or difficult to replace, onto a single pallet (3' 4' x 7' @ 2,000 lbs.).
This is likely way more goods than you could haul in anything but a van or truck.
It cost me $1,300 to ship this from my house in California, delivered to my new house on the Big Island. Cost could be less if you were to drop in Oakland or pick up at the port in Hawaii.
I used Aloha Freight and they had excellent customer service from pick-up to delivery; I really can't say enough good things about them.

I am glad I took the advice of members here and didn't ship my furniture. I replaced it all here with items more appropriate for the environment and smaller living spaces.
This is all excellent advice from a voice of experience. This belongs on a Sticky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii