Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:06 PM

137 posts, read 352,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Have you tried any water filter systems?
I'm going to try to put one on the kitchen sink at least or just use bottled water. But she did say she would have someone look at the plumbing. I only mentioned it here because nothing has happened yet and I'm not sure if it will.
Quote:
You can find the Landlord/Tenant handbook online and download it.
Is the below link the pdf you are referring to?
Landlord Tenant Handbook — Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs
Quote:
Address the important and safety issues, cosmetic wise items you are just as much at fault for accepting them prior to moving in.
Yes, that's my goal. Damp wood and counters that could potentially fall through strongly indicate mold to me. And mold is a very real and dangerous problem. I'm not sure why anyone would keep quiet about something like that.
Quote:
Poke a pointy stick at the landlord too much and they'll show you the door, considering there are always others who will rent and keep quiet.
No, that is incorrect. I signed a lease, a contract. Legally, they can not just terminate the lease like that just because they desire to do so. They are just as bound to the contract as I am.
Quote:
Were these problems there BEFORE you signed the lease and moved in?
I'm not really sure if that matters or not. It is not like purchasing a car in which case the sales papers states you are purchasing it "AS IS".

Do you all think I should hire a professional to come out and inspect the place? This will of course be out of my own pocket but is it worth it or not??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,304 times
Just be careful, Aunties nephew Kimo can't read the lease anyway and hates Haoles...

Old 03-05-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Just be careful, Aunties nephew Kimo can't read the lease anyway and hates Haoles...
Not that it matters, but the landlord (owner) is native Japanese not Hawaiian.

I've just found out another potential problem. The washer that the landlord has in the unit is the LG washer/dryer combo and anyone that has one knows that it has to be cleaned periodically or it will not dry at all. Cleaning it isn't a huge issue as far as I know but the unit does have to taken apart and there is a potential for something to break. What I think I should do is bring this up to the landlord and suggest to her that I simply try to clean it myself and inform her that if something breaks I will notify her. I'm not sure if she will prefer that method or if she will want to have someone clean it that knows what they are doing to prevent any unnecessary damage. I just don't want to be at fault if something breaks while I'm trying to clean the unit...

What do you all think?

Old 03-05-2010, 04:07 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,798 times
Yes, I think that if maintenance and repair of appliances is not addressed in your signed lease agreement that you should bring it up with your landlord. Especially if the washer/dryer has special maintenance needs.

Did you sign a "conditions" form when you moved in? If not, you should do that within 30 days to protect yourself.

The place was probably a "deal" for a reason.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Did you sign a "conditions" form when you moved in? If not, you should do that within 30 days to protect yourself.
What is a "conditions" form and where do I find one to discuss with the landlord (owner)? I searched Google for "lease conditions form" but I haven't found anything yet.

I called the inspection company and the price is $295 for a general home inspection and $365 for a mold spore test which includes 2 samples. One sample for the area of concern and the other for the air outside the apartment to compare with. It is $45 for each additional mold spore specimen collected in another part of the house. So, this is very expensive! If the test results indicate mold then my thoughts are that I can have the landlord reimburse me for the mold test(s). Correct? If no mold is found then I just wasted $365.

Also, I'm not sure if I should just do a general home inspection as well. I don't think it will give me any ammunition to use regarding getting the place up to standards but it would give me an idea of what all is wrong with the place. And there is no way I could recover those funds. If during the general inspection, more problems are discovered then I presume I would have to consult with the inspectors to determine whether it is something that has to be fixed or not. Then I could try to have the landlord fix them or if it's dangerous start filing the paperwork to force my landlord to have it fixed. So, should I do both the home inspection and mold test, just the mold test, OR one or the other? I'm very poor and I don't have money to waste but I definitely don't want to live somewhere where my health is at risk. Hospital bills are extremely expensive! I'm confused...

Old 03-05-2010, 09:07 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Skip the mold tests. This is Hawaii. Mold is *everywhere* so I don't think that you will get very far complaining about mold that appeared after you moved in. How would you prove that the mold isn't a result of your careless housekeeping? (That would be the landlord's position.)

Old 03-05-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Skip the mold tests. This is Hawaii. Mold is *everywhere* so I don't think that you will get very far complaining about mold that appeared after you moved in. How would you prove that the mold isn't a result of your careless housekeeping? (That would be the landlord's position.)
Because I haven't actually moved in yet. I signed the lease but I have not moved into the apartment yet. All I have done is clean the unit up a bit but that's it. That is the main reason why I'm trying to get all this squared away BEFORE I move in. So, on that note, then I SHOULD get the mold tests done especially since you have assured me that mold is everywhere in Hawai'i. Goodness, I really hope I'm not wasting my $365.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,300,235 times
How long is the lease?
Kalihi Hmmm.
Doesn't sound like you checked it out prior to signing a lease.

My landlady is Japanese and she won't fix anything (it means nothing). She is "Local" Japanese BTW. If she was born in Japan and come over then it would be 1st genereation etc... (FYI).

Particle board is cheap and used often in rentals in Hawaii.
Refer to the "Book" as previously mentioned and act accordingly.

Mold? This is Hawaii.

You should talk frankly with the landlady and not hold her hostage after moving in. You get what you pay for.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:59 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitright1 View Post
What is a "conditions" form and where do I find one to discuss with the landlord (owner)? I searched Google for "lease conditions form" but I haven't found anything yet.

I called the inspection company and the price is $295 for a general home inspection and $365 for a mold spore test which includes 2 samples. One sample for the area of concern and the other for the air outside the apartment to compare with. It is $45 for each additional mold spore specimen collected in another part of the house. So, this is very expensive! If the test results indicate mold then my thoughts are that I can have the landlord reimburse me for the mold test(s). Correct? If no mold is found then I just wasted $365.

Also, I'm not sure if I should just do a general home inspection as well. I don't think it will give me any ammunition to use regarding getting the place up to standards but it would give me an idea of what all is wrong with the place. And there is no way I could recover those funds. If during the general inspection, more problems are discovered then I presume I would have to consult with the inspectors to determine whether it is something that has to be fixed or not. Then I could try to have the landlord fix them or if it's dangerous start filing the paperwork to force my landlord to have it fixed. So, should I do both the home inspection and mold test, just the mold test, OR one or the other? I'm very poor and I don't have money to waste but I definitely don't want to live somewhere where my health is at risk. Hospital bills are extremely expensive! I'm confused...
Why don't you do the old lady a favor and ask to be let out of the lease? Your demands and thought processes are extreme. Simple repairs are one thing but it sounds like you want a new house for cheap money.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
How long is the lease?
One year.
Quote:
Doesn't sound like you checked it out prior to signing a lease.
I will admit that I didn't get a chance to check it out thoroughly before signing the lease. The old tenant hadn't moved out yet. I know that that is not an excuse but yeah I should have addressed these issue beforehand. But I still need to get the problems fixed anyway.
Quote:
You should talk frankly with the landlady and not hold her hostage after moving in. You get what you pay for.
I'm not sure what you mean but I will speak with her. I'm just trying to find the best way to go about handling this.
Quote:
Your demands and thought processes are extreme. Simple repairs are one thing but it sounds like you want a new house for cheap money.
If fixing the mold to a safe standard is a simple repair then that is fine by me. I just want it taken care of. My demands and thought processes extreme?? I must admit I'm surprised that a number of responses here seem to suggest me simply dealing with it. Even if I left I would think that the next tenant would do the same as I am doing. There are a number of ways this could play out. I could simply not say anything but when my lease is up and another tenant comes along what if they are as adamant about living in a safe place as I am? I didn't address the issues upfront when I moved in so the blame falls on me. Hmm, on that note I think I'll do both of the general inspection and mold test. I didn't think about that potential scenario until you made that post. Thanks! It almost seems that anyone who would take on a lease of a year or more like I have would do a general home inspection and mold test automatically for liability reasons to cover themselves. Kinda like insurance. In the past, I've always judged the place by it's outward appearance but mold could be hidden anywhere and even though I have never been accused of bringing about mold or any other problem anywhere I've rented there is always that possibility. (Murphy's law...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii