Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:39 AM

102 posts, read 162,570 times

Advertisements

I'm a 32 y.o. Minnesota native, well as native as one can be these days. I recently returned from a 10 day trip on the big island with my girlfriend and we stayed with friends so we avoided the whole touristy approach to our visit. This was THE best way to experience it all.

Before we left, and having spent 100% of my life in Minnesota, I naturally had the same questions we've all had, so I'll spare you the typical "I wanna move to Hawaii, etc. etc. etc.". I've been researching, reading, thinking, and upon my return, while I was glad to be home (it was/is still home you know...) and returning to the 'rat race' of corporate America...I made a decision that I will be moving to the big island if I have anything to do with it. But things change, and I try and keep it logical as possible.

All that being said, thank you/mahalo for this forum, for those that showed us how wonderful Hawai'i truly is, and despite all the so-called negative aspects of living there, it has only reinforced my desire to do so. As you can probably tell, I'm not very respectful of the corporate game, it's actually a tragedy being played out on a global scale and I need to remove myself from that equation. It's just a matter of where I remove myself to.

I'm a musician by trade, but am also a jack-of-all-trades - 15+ years of construction, gardening, another 10 in business, 5 or so in restaurants, 10+ in music....you get the idea.

My question, now that I've really taken my time and explained myself, semi-thoroughly, is this - Given the slower pace of life, economic particulars, etc., is there much bartering/trading that takes place on the local level as a custom? i.e. - Let's say you or someone wants to take guitar lessons, and you're not loaded (as I am not either ), but you have some coffee and maybe some chickens...I would be all for trading goods and services, vice-versa. Is this sort of thing done anymore?? Or has the over-reaching talon of corporate greed tainted the islands too?

See I have pretty much all I want/need - some decent instruments for that craft, a handful of 'things' but mostly, I want to live somewhere like the big island, slow down, hang out with some friendly locals, live OFF that whole grid of the mainland, go country, disappear on a hike for a few days, come back, give some lessons or fix someone's computer for a chicken and some veggies/fruits, maybe brew my own beer, etc. etc.

You catching what I'm throwing? I don't need/want much, except to now, try and experience life on the big island. I'm 32, I do not want to live and die in Minnesota, particularly when I can't stand winter. I'm very logic and Zen driven, appreciate the small things and can totally dig everything I've been reading. It all makes sense to me, especially since my return.

I realize this doesn't delve in to other areas of required thinking for such a move, but I am long-winded and it's mainly the idea of the trading/bartering I'm curious about at the moment.

Anyhow, I ramble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 AM

18,409 posts, read 19,045,166 times
I do not know about the bartering I am on maui but the only thing I would worry about is can you cover the basics of rent and food w/o the barter? I would guess no matter how much people barter there is still the need for cash as your landlord or bank will not take trades, neither will foodland or the gas station. I can see why you would want to move to the islands. I wish you much luck and success getting here. I know you will like it once you do.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,760,101 times
There may be situations where you can barter,just as there are on the mainland, but people in Hawaii,just like the rest of us, need $$$ to raise their families,pay their rent, taxes etc. There are underground economies in every state, no more so in HI than anywhere else.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I do not know about the bartering I am on maui but the only thing I would worry about is can you cover the basics of rent and food w/o the barter? I would guess no matter how much people barter there is still the need for cash as your landlord or bank will not take trades, neither will foodland or the gas station. I can see why you would want to move to the islands. I wish you much luck and success getting here. I know you will like it once you do.
Thanks so much for your reply! I agree, it doesn't cover the necessities like rent and such, but in looking at the fiscal equations, I'm trying to think outside the box to kind of flow with it and it seems like the trading/bartering could be a natural by-product of this sort of lifestyle on a local level. I'm pretty ignorant too and am ok with saying so, but want to learn everything I can and thought what the heck, I'll ask these cats.

I'm planning on diversifying myself in a few ways beforehand, as well as lining up the necessary things before I arrive including at least one more 'pre-trip' to be 110% sure...I would HATE to go through all of that, be gung-ho and like a lot of people I read about, can't do it and have to move back for whatever reason. I want to contribute to the community and help out wherever I can, it just isn't that easy up here with all the beauracracies involved. It's definitely the speed I'm looking for and I think I could have a lot to offer.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
There may be situations where you can barter,just as there are on the mainland, but people in Hawaii,just like the rest of us, need $$$ to raise their families,pay their rent, taxes etc. There are underground economies in every state, no more so in HI than anywhere else.
Good points, thanks! I'm sure it couldn't be used all the time, or even 50% of the time...but only one part of my plan is to have my own businesses - computer repairs/education, guitar repairs/setups/lessons, maybe get a teaching certificate and some other things I'm putting together. Basically I'm very DIY driven and aside from a regular job I would have these other things going on as well.

For instance, up here if you were to get your computer fixed you would pay a flat fee, cash/check/charge. My thought is a little more down to earth, I come over and fix your computer, show you how to keep it maintained, etc. ( not that everyone is computer ignorant over there, just one example...) and ok well maybe you can't necessarily afford to pay that flat fee today that you would on the mainland, but due to the differences in region, I for one could be willing to just do a credit sort of thing (pay me when you can...), or trade for services/goods. I guess this would apply more in the outskirts/small towns and not any developed neighborhoods so much.

Or is this whole idea too hippy hippy idealist?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:09 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,601,716 times
Swapping & bartering are a long established way of life tor many people here, including me, but we all need cash too. Bartering also takes patience and trust, you don't always get the instant gratification of goods-for-goods, you may wait weeks, months, even years to be paid in kind.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 AM

18 posts, read 59,090 times
I barter with neighbors (we trade fruits and veggies all the time) and I trade computer classes for lots of stuff around the community... meat, gas, lawn care, building materials, trees, plants, furniture... you name it. I don't usually turn down an offer for barter, lol.

I find it quite easy to get to know others and use the barter system here.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:40 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,306,439 times
I'm unique just like everyone else too.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Swapping & bartering are a long established way of life tor many people here, including me, but we all need cash too. Bartering also takes patience and trust, you don't always get the instant gratification of goods-for-goods, you may wait weeks, months, even years to be paid in kind.
I can definitely appreciate that, trust is a precious commodity that is not made overnight. I can dig it, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensempress View Post
I barter with neighbors (we trade fruits and veggies all the time) and I trade computer classes for lots of stuff around the community... meat, gas, lawn care, building materials, trees, plants, furniture... you name it. I don't usually turn down an offer for barter, lol.

I find it quite easy to get to know others and use the barter system here.
Right on, I knew it had to be going on to a certain degree. What part/island are you in/on if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
I'm unique just like everyone else too.
I don't remember mentioning anything about being unique, just that this wasn't a typical thread in the typical sense. Thanks for your thoughts though!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:20 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Try Googling "Sensible Simplicity Forum Jay Fitzgerald" and that should take you to a forum centered up near Volcano which is a group of folks who are pretty much doing what you are talking about.

There isn't as much money swirling about as there used to be so folks are much more open to swapping and bartering these days. I do drafting and in the past year I've drawn up a goat barn in exchange for lamb and beef and drew up a set of plans for a deck addition to a house for a pair of top bar beehives. I've swapped some baby ducks for hamburgers at the local diner. Baby chickens are quite swappable items, too. Those have been exchanged for various plants as well as work at the farm. A neighbor borrows our washing machine and clothesline in exchange for a bit of yard work. It saves him driving his truck thirty miles to town so it's the savings in gasoline along with the cost of the laundry which he finds attractive.

Not all barters work, though. I did a clock repair (I also repair old key wound or weight driven clocks as well as do drafting) which was supposed to be in exchange for the fellow to build me a beehive and I haven't seen any beehive yet. It was his wife's clock and the repair was for her birthday so he wanted the clock back before the beehive was built. Maybe he will still build it, but it's been about six months so probably not. But, eventually, the clock will need to be oiled and cleaned and as far as I know I'm about the only person on the island now who can fix it for him so he will eventually be back and then he can build me TWO beehives BEFORE he gets it fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: