Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 02:41 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times

Advertisements

I have been posting here for over two years now and reading this forum even longer. I have noticed that there are some who live in Hawaii and give great advice. There are some that are planning to move to Hawaii and ask some very good questions. There are some that have had a dream about living in Hawaii and come to find out what the chances are that their dream could come true. Then there are, the Others. People who don't live in Hawaii and don't seem to be seriously planning to move to Hawaii, yet they regularly post here. I am not judging whether they should or not. However, I am wondering, what motivates them to post here?

If you are one of the Others, I am curious to know, why do you come and post on this forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 08:43 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,745 times
Sometimes I've been an Other, and sometimes I've been a Planner. Right now, I'm a Planner. My stance is that I love Hawaii, I've wanted to live there since I was 12 (on and off), I married a Hawaiian woman, I've been there half a dozen times, and I love the people and culture (and of course the beauty and the weather). But my wife and I aren't willing to live there "at any price." There have been times when we've thought we could afford to live there, and times when we've thought we can't. Right now, we think we'll be able to in a few years. The reason I've posted throughout is that I think I'm able to offer a unique perspective: an outsider who understands and loves Hawaii, but who isn't blind to its drawbacks. And, of course, I love all you other regular posters. :-)

Old 07-13-2013, 11:48 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
I'll ditto that above ^. I have been a Planner three times, but now resigned to being an Other, unfortunately. Have visited the islands for decades and wanted to retire there but it didn't work out --yet. I only post if I can offer some value. I don't know everything about the islands and never will, but love them very much.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:36 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
People who don't live in Hawaii and don't seem to be seriously planning to move to Hawaii, yet they regularly post here. I am not judging whether they should or not. However, I am wondering, what motivates them to post here?

If you are one of the Others, I am curious to know, why do you come and post on this forum?
I don't think I am one of the 'Others'. I don't think there are any policies in place that prohibit people that do not live in Hawaii to respond to questions. Some questions do not require a person living in Hawaii to answer. In fact, some questions might be better answered by someone who doesn't live in Hawaii!

I try to offer some general advise when it is helpful. I am amazed at the number of people that want to live in Hawaii no matter the cost, no matter their income level, and even if they have no job. Then there are obvious fake posts or misguided people that should never be considering moving to one of the most expensive places to live in the United States, bringing an army of kids, has no job, no job skills beyond minimum wage, no heath coverage, and no savings.

I me it's part of preparing for retirement, which is no more than 74 months away now. In a few days, it will be 73 months away. Hawaii's climate is the attraction for me. However so is southern California and Florida. I'm amazed at the number of people just retiring at my work, and they haven't even thought about where they want to live when they retire. My wife have been thinking about it for a decade so far. We are long term planners! I'm just getting more serious about researching the possible retirement locations now than in previous years because retirement is getting closer.

I do appreciate the good advise from the people on the forum and I look forward to our visit in November to check out Hawaii in person.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Maybe the Others have some words of wisdom to share, but they should come right out and admit that they don't actually live in Hawaii and therefore they are not speaking from first-hand knowledge. As we've said many times before on this forum, living in Hawaii is very very different from Oregon, or Arizona, or Virginia.

Advising someone on how to rent an apartment with pets, for example, may not be particularly good advice if it applies to renting an apartment where the poster lives on the mainland. Without having had experience with how the real world works in Hawaii, the poster may be giving bad information. Giving general advice, such as don't move unless you can support your family, would be good advice that could apply anywhere.

BTW, davephan, we moved to Hawaii when we retired at the end of our seven year plan. We did lots of research and learned all we could before moving. We have been there for three years and love it.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Not only do many of the "others" post here, they don't have the decency to put the city where they do live. What's up with that?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:29 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Not only do many of the "others" post here, they don't have the decency to put the city where they do live. What's up with that?
Not an "Other" but I don't put the town I live near anymore. The reason being is because I kept getting PMs asking me about the area. I really don't like living here but do it for work. Therefore, I don't think I can be a fair judge of what it is like. I'd rather they ask someone who wants to be here.

Thank you for all who have replied.

Sadly though, we haven't had any of the "Others" reply yet. They probably won't.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I'm an occassional 'Planner' and an overall 'Other'.

I'm basically a long-term expat living outside of the U.S. I'm always thinking of 'one step' back in the US, and remaining 'one step' in Asia. Hawaii seems like one of those places I could put keep both feet in, without an either/or scenario.

That being said, for the time being, my 'life' and 'work' keeps me happily in Asia. But if some drastic change were to occur, than a possibility of a 'give it a go in Honolulu' would appeal to me very much.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
...say now.. isn't Tiger Beer an Other? And is there really beer made from tigers. No, of course not but we've been trying lots of beer lately...
When I move I will probably be an Other. I enjoy the banter.
I really like to know from whence people reply.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:42 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Aloha,

Ok if you currently live in Hawai'i? Yes of course your going to know more about the cost of things etc. But just because somone lives in Hawai'i taking up space doesn't mean they know anything about Hawai'i except the cost of things and taking up space.

I can't see why we can't just live by the Aloha Spirit on here? If your good with the numbers then stick with that your needed. If your good with ono grinds do that etc etc everyone is needed.

As for others? I don't understand that? Are we in a haole compitition or something? Hate to bust some egos ok. But just because you spend a lifetime taking up space doesn't mean you have earned respect other then being a human and a person. I know guys who know more about Hawai'i and who have lived there only temporary then guys who have spent a lifetime taking up space. And i know a few on here.

Citydata Forum is about info on relocation etc, but not exclusively. Look at the treads on the forum. I come on here and learn new things from you guys everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: